Alzheimer's Association: The Florida Gulf Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association offers support groups at several locations:
• 2:30 p.m. the first Thursday of each month, Atria Evergreen Woods, 7030 Evergreen Woods Trail. Shirley Miketinac, (352) 796-1767.
• 2:30 p.m. the first Friday of each month, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville. Shirley Miketinac, (352) 796-1767.
• 2 p.m. the second Tuesday at Crown Pointe Senior Living Community, 11291 County Line Road, Spring Hill. Sandy Croson, (352) 799-1422.
• 2 p.m. the third Monday of each month, Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill. Diane Koenig, (352) 683-9009.
Alzheimer's Family Organization: The following programs are offered through the Alzheimer's Family Organization to residents of Hernando, Citrus, Pasco, Sumter and Lake counties:
• Caregiver support groups — 2 p.m. Monday, Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill; 1 p.m. Tuesday, Brookridge Clubhouse, 8150 Hampton St., west of Brooksville; 1 p.m. Tuesday, Spring Hill Enrichment Center (behind Oak Hill Hospital), 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. Maria Curley, (727) 856-2196.
• Alzheimer's Caregiver Informational Day, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Aug. 20, Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point, 14000 Fivay Road, Hudson. The cost is $15 for AFO members and $25 for nonmembers. Includes refreshments, lunch and certificate of attendance. Presented by Dolina Bois. Speakers include Paula Mendenhall, who will discuss "Elder Drivers"; and attorney Joan Nelson-Hook, who will discuss "Elder Law Issues." Registration is required by Friday. Free respite care available; call AFO office to make arrangements. (727) 848-8888 or toll-free at 1-888-496-8004.
HPH Hospice Grief Support: 3 to 4 p.m. Mondays, HPH Hospice, 698 S Broad St., Brooksville; and 3 to 4 p.m. Thursdays, 12260 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. Led by hospice bereavement counselors, these ongoing bereavement support groups are for adults grieving over the death of a loved one. There is no cost to participate and no reservations needed. Visit hph-hospice.org or call toll-free 1-800-486-8784.
Weight Watchers: For area meetings, call toll-free 1-800-651-6000.
MTC Technical Institute hosts Weight Loss and Quit Smoking sessions with hypnotist: Weight loss program, 2 p.m. Sept. 18; quit smoking program, 2 p.m. Oct. 16, 661 S Broad St. Vendors for these events are welcome. Rae, (352) 593-4556 or [email protected]
Ridge Manor West
Take Off Pounds Sensibly 530: 8:15 to 10 a.m. Tuesdays, First Lutheran Church, 30419 Park Ridge Drive. Meeting starts at 9 a.m. Evelyn, (352) 796-0477.
Healthy Hearts Support Group: 4 to 5:30 p.m. Monday, Spring Hill Enrichment Center at Oak Hill Hospital, 11375 Cortez Blvd. Speaker will be Robert Foster, a registered nurse, who will discuss preplanning your emergency. (352) 597-6333 or oakhillhospital.com.
HPH Hospice hosts free memory screenings: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 19, HPH Hospice, 12260 Cortez Blvd. Participants will meet for 20 minutes on an individual basis with Jerry Fisher, program specialist for the Alzheimer's Association, Florida Gulf Coast Chapter. While the screening is not considered a diagnostic tool and is not intended for those with dementia or Alzheimer's, it is helpful toward determining if there is a serious memory problem. Appointments must be scheduled. Call Janet Clymer, (352) 597-1882.
"Look Good, Feel Better" program for female cancer patients: 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Florida Cancer Institute-New Hope, Suite 203 in the Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital, 10441 Quality Drive. Peggy Beckett, (352) 688-7744.
Moving On: 12:15 p.m. Thursdays, Perkins Family Restaurant, 4685 Commercial Way. This is a self-help support group for seniors who have difficulty dealing with the loss of a loved one. Marilyn, (352) 597-5315, or Rita, (352) 684-3916.
Parkinson's Disease Support Group: Caregivers support group, 1-2 p.m. today, the Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road. Tai Chi group for those with Parkinson's and caregivers, 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Body Fitness, 5181 Mariner Drive. Charlene Miller, (352) 688-7261, or Barbara Kent, (352) 666-1584.
The Respite Room: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays, First United Methodist Church, 9344 Spring Hill Drive. This weekly program is a partnership between the church and CARES (Community Aging and Retirement Services Inc.) to provide activities and social time for those with memory challenges such as dementia or Alzheimer's disease while their caregivers get time off. Call to schedule a complimentary visit. Chris Powers, (727) 863-6868, or Cindy McLoud, (352) 683-2600.
Spring Hill Stroke Support Group: 11 a.m. Thursdays, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. Family and friends welcome. Coffee and cake follows the meeting. A. Schaffer, (352) 688-2594, or the church, (352) 683-9016.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 604, weigh-in from 8:30 to 9:15 a.m. and meeting at 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd.; Doris, (352) 666-9525, or Nancy, (352) 592-1088.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 461, 9 to 11 a.m. Thursdays, Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way. Dorothy Kuta, (352) 596-6697, or Pat Gall, (352) 688-6755. TOPS is a weight loss support group that promotes successful weight management with a philosophy that combines healthy eating, regular exercise, wellness education and support.
New Port Richey
Breast feeding class offered free: 1 to 3 p.m. Aug. 21, Birthplace at Community Hospital, 5637 Marine Parkway. This is a motivational class outlining the health benefits of breast feeding, with a focus on fundamentals and how to access support. Seating is limited; reservations required. (727) 834-5630.
Community Chatterboxes: 3 to 4 p.m. Aug. 19, Community Hospital Health Care Center, 5400 School Road. For those with communication deficits as a result of a cerebral vascular accident or other neurological disorders. (727) 845-0757.
Send information for the Health and Support column to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613; fax to (352) 754-6133; or e-mail [email protected] Deadline for this news is two weeks before event or reservation deadline. Information cannot be published if the time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable) or contact person and phone number are missing. For information, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.