Alcoholics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 683-4597.
Alzheimer's Association: The Florida Gulf Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association offers support groups at several locations:
• 2:30 p.m. the first Thursday of each month, Oak Hill Hospital's Senior Partners Club (behind the hospital), 11361 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill. Jerry Fisher, (352) 688-4537.
• 2:30 p.m. the first Friday, Lykes Memorial Library, 238 Howell Ave., Brooksville. Jerry Fisher, (352) 688-4537.
• 2 p.m. the third Monday, Residence at Timber Pines, 3140 Forest Road, Spring Hill. Diane Koenig, (352) 683-9009. Free day care available with advance reservations.
• 11 a.m. the first Tuesday, Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church, 550 U.S. 41 S, Inverness. Sue Piatek, (352) 527-4600.
• 5 p.m. the fourth Tuesday, Emeritus at Barrington Place, 2341 W Norvell Bryant Highway, Lecanto. Free day care provided with advance reservations. Sue Piatek, (352) 527-4600.
• 1 p.m. the second Monday, First United Methodist Church, 8831 W Bradshaw St., Homosassa. Free day care provided with advance reservations. Sue Piatek, (352) 527-4600.
Visit the Alzheimer's Association website at alz.org. To reach the local office, call (352) 688-4537 or toll-free 1-800-772-8672.
Alzheimer's Family Organization: The organization will offer the following:
• Support Group Leader Orientation/In-Service, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Friday, Sunflower Springs assisted living facility, 8733 W Yulee Drive, Homosassa. Refreshments will be served. The purpose of this meeting is to instruct individuals in the running and proper functioning of a support group. Upon completion, the support group leader will be eligible to affiliate the group with the Alzheimer's Family Organization. Free. Registration is required. Call (727) 848-8888 or toll-free 1-888-496-8004.
• Stress Buster Forum for Caregivers, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. July 27, King of Kings Lutheran Church, 10337 U.S. 19, Port Richey. Dr. Mildred Farmer will present "Alzheimer's Disease Update," Patricia Sovonick will discuss "Stress Reduction" and Susan Frangello will discuss "Keeping You Healthy/Tai Chi." There will be lunch, refreshments and chair massages. The event is free, but registration is required by Friday. Seating is limited. RSVP to (727) 848-8888 or toll-free 1-888-496-8004.
• Caregiver support groups — 1 p.m. Mondays, Brooksville Regional Hospital, Medical Arts Building, Suite 120, 17222 Hospital Blvd., Brooksville; John Winans, (352) 232-0081. 1 p.m. Wednesdays, Spring Hill Regional Hospital Medical Arts Building, Suite 105, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill; Marilu Gibson, (352) 688-5758.
Elder Abuse Hotline: To report suspected cases of elder abuse, neglect and exploitation, or those 60 or older who are being hurt or taken advantage of by someone you know, call toll-free 1-800-96-ELDER (1-800-963-5337) or 1-800-96-ABUSE (1-800-962-2873). Sponsored by the Florida Department of Children and Families and the Florida Department of Elder Affairs.
Family Planning Assistance offered at Hernando County Health Department: Family planning services are available at both the Brooksville office at 300 S Main St., and the Spring Hill office at 7551 Forest Oaks Blvd. Family planning strategies are offered to help prevent unintended pregnancies, including teen pregnancy. Visits include testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases along with education on preventing infections. All services are based on FDA-approved methods, which include: condoms, birth control pills, Depo-Provera, IUDs and diaphragms, as well as abstinence and natural family planning methods; counseling regarding vasectomy services; pregnancy testing; and comprehensive exams. Fees are based on client income; there is no charge for those with incomes up to 100 percent above the federal poverty level. For information or to schedule an appointment, call (352) 540-6800.
Narcotics Anonymous: For Hernando County locations, call (352) 754-7200.
National Alliance on Mental Illness/NAMI Hernando: NAMI Hernando will offer the following at the Beautiful Mind Outreach Center, 10554 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill:
• Family support group, 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays. For family members of loved ones who have a mental illness. Call the Beautiful Mind, (352) 684-0004.
• Wellness and Recovery group, 7 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays; Wellness Support group, 3 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays. The group is for adults living with a mental illness. Call the Beautiful Mind, (352) 684-0004.
SHINE Program Assists Seniors with Health Insurance: The Florida Department of Elder Affairs offers the free SHINE program (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) at the following locations in Hernando County:
• 11 a.m. to noon Tuesdays, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120 of the Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Blvd. Call (352) 544-6022.
• 11 a.m. to noon Thursdays at Spring Hill Enrichment Center, Suite 105 of the Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill. Call (352) 684-7568.
• Appointments may be scheduled at the Hernando County Mining Association Enrichment Center, 800 John Gary Grubbs Blvd., Brooksville. Call (352) 544-6022.
SHINE counselors offer information and assistance with Medicare (figuring out paperwork, bills and filing appeals), Medicare supplemental insurance, Medicare prescription drug coverage, long-term care planning and pharmaceutical assistance programs.
No appointments necessary (unless otherwise noted). For information or for counseling locations outside Hernando County, call the Elder Hotline toll-free 1-800-262-2243.
Weight Watchers: For area meetings, call toll-free 1-800-651-6000.
Al-Anon: Adult Children Focused Step meeting, 7:30 to 9 p.m. Thursdays, Brooksville Enrichment Center, Suite 120, Medical Arts Building at Brooksville Regional Hospital, 17222 Hospital Blvd. Toll-free 1-888-425-2666.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia discussion: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Get Healthy — Brooksville Natural Foods, 1254 S Broad St. The speaker will be Pamela Ross, a certified physician's assistant. Topics include how to stop symptomatic pain and fatigue associated with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and herpes. Free. (352) 796-9798.
CoDA (Co-Dependents Anonymous): Words of Wisdom group, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays, Salvation Army Fellowship Hall, 15464 Cortez Blvd. The purpose of this program is for the development of healthy relationships and the building of self-esteem. Email [email protected]
Hernando Gift Room: This free service, provided by the American Cancer Society, is open noon to 4 p.m. Wednesdays at 14540 Cortez Blvd., Suite 203, in the Pinebrook Regional Medical Center, west of Brooksville. The Gift Room provides uninsured and under-insured patients with free wigs, hats and head coverings, prosthesis and mastectomy bras, as well as emotional support for people going through chemotherapy. To learn more, call the American Cancer Society toll-free 1-800-227-2345 or visit cancer.org.
Take of Pounds Sensibly 208: 6 p.m. Thursdays, Gulf Ridge Park Church, 20200 Manecke Road. Linda Ward, (352) 796-1236.
Ridge Manor West
Take Off Pounds Sensibly 530: 8:15 to 10 a.m. Tuesdays, First Lutheran Church, 30419 Park Ridge Drive. Meeting starts at 9 a.m. Evelyn, (352) 796-0477.
Caregivers Day Out: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays, First United Methodist Church, 9344 Spring Hill Drive. Provided by Community Aging and Retirement Services, the program offers a fun, supervised atmosphere for individuals with memory challenges, such as Alzheimer's disease or dementia, while caregivers take some time off. There is no cost for first-time participants; subsequent days are $20. CARES is a nonprofit organization that provides services to meet the needs of older persons and their families in west-central Florida. Dianne, (352) 686-2614, or Chris Powers, (727) 862-9291, exts. 2002 or 2040.
Crescent Community Clinic: The clinic, 5244 Commercial Way (Winchester Plaza), provides primary medical, dental and mental health services to uninsured adults ages 18-64 who meet the federal poverty guidelines. Those wishing to receive services from the nonprofit, volunteer-staffed clinic must first apply for services. To apply, potential patients must visit crescentclinic.org and download the application on the first page. The clinic is staffed by volunteers from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays. For information, but not for appointments, call (352) 610-9916.
Free hearing screenings and ear wax removal for seniors: 10 a.m. to noon Thursdays, Spring Hill Enrichment Center, Suite 105, Medical Arts Building at Spring Hill Regional Hospital, 10441 Quality Drive, Spring Hill. No appointments necessary; first come, first served. (727) 807-7082.
Gamblers Anonymous: 7 to 9 p.m. Fridays, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. New members welcome. Coffee and refreshments served. (352) 688-9034.
Hernando County Ostomy Association: 7 p.m. Aug. 2, Grace Lutheran Church, 411 Mariner Blvd. Friends and family members welcome. Ellen Boldt, (352) 597-5426, or Carol Krause, (352) 683-5586.
Hospice Bereavement Support Group: 3 to 4 p.m. Thursdays, HPH Hospice, 12260 Cortez Blvd. This is an ongoing bereavement support group for adults grieving the death of a loved one. There is no cost and no reservations are required. Toll-free 1-800-486-8784. hph-hospice.org.
Moving On: 12:15 p.m. Thursdays, Perkins Family Restaurant, 4685 Commercial Way. This is a self-help support group for seniors who have difficulty dealing with the loss of a loved one. Marilyn, (352) 593-4736, or Rita, (352) 684-3916.
Overeaters Anonymous: 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, 2301 Deltona Blvd. This is a newly formed group. Ann, (352) 684-5926. Bridge to Serenity group, 1 p.m. Tuesdays, West Hernando/S.T. Foggia Branch Library, 6335 Blackbird Ave. This is a 12-step program for those suffering from compulsive overeating. There are no dues, fees or weigh-ins for this support group. Belinda, (352) 293-3455.
Spring Hill Stroke Support Group: 11 a.m. Thursdays, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 6193 Spring Hill Drive. Family and friends welcome. Coffee and cake follows the meeting. A. Schaffer, (352) 688-2594, or the church, (352) 683-9016.
Tai Chi for Parkinson's patients: 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Body Fitness, 5181 Mariner Blvd. Sponsored by USF Health and the National Parkinson Foundation. The free classes improve flexibility and balance. (352) 556-1489.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 604, weigh-in from 8:30 to 9:15 a.m. and meeting 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays, Forest Oaks Lutheran Church, 8555 Forest Oaks Blvd. Visitors are welcome to the first meeting free. TOPS is a weight-loss management program for men and women, and has a philosophy of combining healthy eating, regular exercise, wellness education and support from others. Doris, (352) 666-9525, or Nancy, (352) 592-1088.
Take Off Pounds Sensibly: TOPS 461, 9 to 11 a.m. Thursdays, Nativity Lutheran Church, 6363 Commercial Way. Dorothy Kuta, (352) 596-6697, or Pat Gall, (352) 688-6755. TOPS is a weight loss support group that promotes successful weight management with a philosophy that combines healthy eating, regular exercise, wellness education and support.
Lymphedema Support Group: 3 p.m. today, Medical Center of Trinity, 9330 State Road 54. RSVP to (727) 834-5630.
Send information for the Health and Support column to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613; fax (352) 754-6133; or email [email protected] Deadline for this news is two weeks before event or reservation deadline. Information cannot be published if the time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable) or contact person and phone number are missing. For information, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.