Health and support
National Alliance on Mental Illness/NAMI Hernando: NAMI Hernando will offer the following at the Beautiful Mind Outreach Center, 10554 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill:
• NAMI Basics, 5:30 p.m. Tuesdays, Jan. 15 to Feb. 19. This course is for parents and caregivers of children or adolescents diagnosed with a mental disorder, such as ADHD, depression, OCD, bipolar disorder or conduct disorder. Taught by trained NAMI family members who have children with mental illness. Child care available for children 12 and younger. Free. To register, call Dawn, (352) 232-5148.
• "Peer to Peer" 10-week recovery program, 6:30 p.m. Fridays, starting Jan. 18. Offered in a confidential setting and taught by two NAMI-trained peer mentors. Free. Registration required. Jeanette, (352) 410-1668.
• "Family-to-Family" 12-week course, 6:30 p.m. Thursdays, starting today. Taught by NAMI-trained family members, this program combines an instructional curriculum in a support group environment. For family members of mentally ill persons. Free. Registration required. Mariann, (352) 683-1350.
Quit Smoking programs: The Gulfcoast North Area Health Education Center will offer the following free smoking cessation programs:
• "Quit Smoking Now," a four-week tobacco cessation program, will be offered at two locations: 10 to 11 a.m. Fridays, Jan. 11 to Feb. 1, Hernando County Health Department, 7751 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill; 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Thursdays, today through Jan. 31, Salishan Retirement Community, 191 Astaire Lane, off Barclay Avenue, Spring Hill. Participants can receive optional free nicotine replacement therapy, including patches, lozenges or gum.
• "Tools to Quit," a one-day session, will be offered at two locations: 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, Oak Hill Hospital H2U Partner's Club, 11375 Cortez Blvd., Spring Hill (building behind the hospital); 2 to 4:30 p.m. Jan. 25, Brooksville Regional Hospital Enrichment Center, Suite 120, Medical Arts Building, 17222 Hospital Blvd., west of Brooksville. This session helps individuals plan their quitting process by setting a quit date, establishing goals and introducing strategies that will help them succeed. Free nicotine replacement therapy is also available through this program.
For information about either program, call (813) 929-1000 or visit gnahec.org.
Hernando Ostomy Association: 2 to 4 p.m. Jan. 18, Brooksville Regional Hospital, first-floor conference room, 17240 Cortez Blvd. Bob Barnard, (352) 442-9767, or Linda Ravenhorst, (352) 686-1956.
Hospice offers Grief's Journey Bereavement Program: 3 to 4:30 p.m. Jan. 29-March 19, HPH Hospice, 12260 Cortez Blvd. This program is for newly bereaved adults or those who are just coming to terms with their grief over the death of a loved one. The program is open to anyone; association with HPH Hospice is not required. The program is led by a hospice bereavement counselor who will help the group understand the grief process and explore coping strategies. There is no cost, but preregistration is required as class size is limited. RSVP toll-free to 1-800-486-8784.
Nature Coast Multiple Myeloma Support Group: 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oak Hill Hospital Partner's Club, 11475 Cortez Blvd. Herb and Dianne Terry, (352) 621-0672, or Richard Blustein, (352) 428-4536.
Grief Share: 6:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays, starting Jan. 16, Christian Church in the Wildwood, 10051 Country Road. This is a 13-week program for those who have experienced the death of a loved one. The cost for the workbook is $16. Free child care and youth programs offered. (352) 596-1388. ccwildwood.com.
Divorce Care: 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursdays, starting Feb. 7, Christian Church in the Wildwood, 10051 Country Road. This is a 12-week support group for those who are divorced or separated. The cost for the workbook is $16. No child care available. (352) 596-1388. ccwildwood.com.
Send information for the Health and Support column to Phyllis Day, Hernando Times, 15365 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville, FL 34613; fax to (352) 754-6133; or email email@example.com. Deadline for this news is two weeks before event or reservation deadline. Information cannot be published if the time, date, place, ticket price (if applicable) or contact person and phone number are missing. For information, call (352) 754-6101 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.