Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Man rebuilds home in Historic Kenwood after tragedy

ST. PETERSBURG — For 15 years, organizers of the Bungalow Fest in Historic Kenwood have stuck to a simple strategy when picking featured properties.

Usually, homes on the annual tour are existing ones that have been renovated. This year's event, which takes place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today, strays from that.

Two months ago, organizers asked Mitch Harrison if he would be willing to let hundreds of people trek through his home this weekend. The tan, Craftsman-style bungalow at 2635 Fourth Ave. N was completed just weeks ago.

"We seldom have new construction," said John Seibert, president of the neighborhood association. "It's a gorgeous home, though, a showpiece. The fact that it arose from tragedy is special, too."

A year ago, Harrison lived in a similar home on the same lot. But that house burned down — torched Sept. 30, 2012, by Michael Scott Norris, a prison inmate who escaped from a troubled, and now shuttered, Goodwill-run work release facility in Largo.

Before Norris set the home on fire, he robbed, shot and killed two of Harrison's friends — Bruce Johnson, 51, and Arthur Regula, 36, who were working on renovations. Firefighters found their bodies inside.

Police said Norris, who is now serving life in prison, chose Harrison's house at random. He'd previously gone to prison for breaking into homes.

Harrison, a 51-year-old medical software consultant who moved to St. Petersburg from Alabama in 2010, was shopping at the mall when he got the phone call about the blaze. He tried calling Johnson and Regula. But they never answered.

By the time Harrison pulled up, flames had fully engulfed the tan, 1930 Craftsman bungalow.

Harrison wandered around, dazed. He asked people where Johnson and Regula were. No one knew what he was talking about.

Then he spotted Johnson's truck. Soon afterward, police and firefighters confirmed two bodies were inside.

Harrison stopped sleeping.

"I still don't sleep a lot," he said Friday.

What happened at the bungalow that afternoon didn't just affect Harrison.

"It was a major, major blow," Seibert said. "We had had nothing like it before or since."

Several days after the murders, residents held a vigil in a park blocks away from the charred home. Harrison was too distraught to give interviews. But surrounded by a crowd of people holding candles, he spoke a few words about his friends. And he vowed he would come back to his home one day.

The house was torn down a day after Christmas. Harrison began rebuilding this summer.

The inside layout and footprint of the home are similar to the old one. The biggest difference is an added wraparound porch.

Inside, fixtures and furniture were designed to match the era of the old home. Three side tables and a few paintings Harrison salvaged from the fire fill the living room. Not far away, an art piece that features a cross and the word "peace" — made from salvaged iron from the old house — hangs in the hallway.

Harrison moved in a couple of weeks ago. He said he is honored to be on the tour.

"This is my home … but it's actually the neighborhood's too. We went through this together," Harrison said. "But it feels like I'm home. I'm home."

Contact Kameel Stanley at (727) 893-8643 or kstanley@tampabay.com. Follow her @cornandpotatoes on Twitter.

.Fast facts

If you go

The Historic Kenwood Bungalow Fest is from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased online at www.bungalowfest.org or in person at the Craftsman House Gallery, 2955 Central Ave.

Man rebuilds home in Historic Kenwood after tragedy 11/01/13 [Last modified: Friday, November 1, 2013 11:29pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Report: Trump asked intel chiefs to push back against FBI collusion probe after Comey revealed its existence

    National

    President Donald Trump asked two of the nation's top intelligence officials in March to help him push back against an FBI investigation into possible coordination between his campaign and the Russian government, the Washington Post reports, citing current and former officials.

    From  left, CIA Director Mike Pompeo; Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats; and National Security Agency Director Adm. Michael Rogers take their seats on Capitol Hill on May 11 before  testifying before the Senate Intelligence Committee hearing on major threats facing the U.S. [Associated Press]
  2. Trump asked intelligence chiefs to push back against FBI collusion probe after Comey revealed its existence

    National

    President Donald Trump asked two of the nation's top intelligence officials in March to help him push back against an FBI investigation into possible coordination between his campaign and the Russian government, current and former officials said, according to the Washington Post.

    After President Donald Trump fired James Comey, shown here, as FBI director, the Washington Post is reporting, Trump made separate appeals to the director of national intelligence, Daniel Coats, and to Adm. Michael S. Rogers, the director of the National Security Agency, urging them to publicly deny the existence of any evidence of collusion during the 2016 election.
  3. For Gov. Rick Scott, 'fighting' could mean vetoing entire state budget

    State Roundup

    Every day, Gov. Rick Scott is getting a lot of advice.

    The last time a Florida governor vetoed the education portion of the state budget was in 1983. Gov. Bob Graham blasted fellow Democrats for their “willing acceptance of mediocrity.”
  4. Romano: Time is up chief, make a call on police body cameras

    Crime

    Excuse me chief, but it's time to take a stand.

    St. Petersburg police Chief Tony Holloway
  5. Potential new laws further curb Floridians' right to government in the Sunshine

    State Roundup

    TALLAHASSEE — From temporarily shielding the identities of murder witnesses to permanently sealing millions of criminal and arrest records, state lawmakers did more this spring than they have in all but one of the past 22 years to chip away at Floridians' constitutional guarantees to access government records and …

    The Legislature passed 17 new exemptions to the Sunshine Law, according to a tally by the First Amendment Foundation.