Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Memorial service for girl killed by mother draws 200

LARGO — Images of a little girl so full of life flashed on a screen in the chapel: Kassidie Rae McMillin clutching her baby doll, hugging her cousin, posing in her Hello Kitty pajamas.

Just 10 years old, Kassidie's life was cut short last week. Her mother, Tina Marie Foster, shot her and then fatally shot herself in their Dunedin home. Kassidie died two days later on May 14.

Friday, about 200 friends and family filled a A Life Tribute Funeral Care chapel to say goodbye to the sweet, sandy-haired girl who loved chocolate chip cookies, riding her scooter and counting caterpillars.

Many of the mourners wore purple, Kassidie's favorite color.

The Rev. Robert Scarallo tried to comfort the group, which included teachers and classmates at Kassidie's school, San Jose Elementary in Dunedin.

He told them he had spoken with people who had life-after-death experiences. And he is sure that life on this Earth is not the end.

"She is in great peace and great joy," Scarallo said. "Life is very much real after this life."

As he spoke, a 7-year-old boy in the front row, Kassidie's cousin Logan Fuseek, covered his eyes and sobbed. Soon his 8-year old sister, Desiree Clucas, began weeping, too. Their parents embraced them until the tears stopped.

Kassidie's father, Derrick McMillin, shared how he loved to take Kassidie to theme parks and how proud he was that she still made good grades even after he divorced her mother, Tina Foster.

He recalled how Kassidie was his bundle of joy and how she rarely cried, except when she had her picture taken.

"You were strong, and, for this, you will continue to be my inspiration to do good," said McMillin, 36, who is battling addiction to pain pills and is staying at a residential drug treatment center.

"You live in the lives of other children now. I love you, Kassidie Rae McMillin," said McMillin, who decided to donate Kassidie's organs. "I always will."

At McMillin's request, Scarallo invited mourners to share their thoughts about Kassidie.

One of Kassidie's classmates, Heather Smith, said she loved Kassidie very much, like a best friend.

"I miss her very bad and I just wanted to say that," said Heather, 10.

Another friend, Nathan Bernier, remembered how much fun he had playing with Kassidie.

"We always had good times and stuff," said Nathan, 10, through his sniffles. "We would laugh and they would always bring me to church."

McMillin's friend from the treatment center, Drew Merta, said he had the honor of knowing Kassidie, "one of the sweetest girls" he ever met. He recalled how she ran to greet his 2-year-old son with handfuls of candy and snacks.

Scarallo said there are some acts we will never understand. He didn't specifically mention Kassidie's mother, but he urged the group to try to forgive. He said forgiving does not mean excusing or condoning what happened. Instead, he said, it means letting go of hurt and resentment.

"For Kassidie's sake, if we are going to do her memory justice, we need to heal."

Lorri Helfand can be reached at or (727) 445-4155.

.To help

Memorial fund for Kassidie

Kassidie's family has set up the Kassidie Rae McMillin memorial fund at Regions Bank. Her father said the fund will help cover costs for a proper resting spot for his daughter.

Memorial service for girl killed by mother draws 200 05/20/11 [Last modified: Friday, May 20, 2011 11:34pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Dade City's Wild Things blocks PETA officials at gates for court-ordered site inspection


    Times Staff Writer

    DADE CITY — Dade City's Wild Things founder Kathy Stearns refused to let People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals officials enter her facility on Thursday for a court-ordered inspection, court filings show.

    Dade City's Wild Things founder Kathy Stearns refused to let People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals officials enter her facility on Thursday for a court-ordered inspection, court filings show. This comes four days after 19 Wild Things tigers arrived at the Greater Wynnewood Exotic Animal Park in Oklahoma. A judge had granted an emergency injunction July 14, ordering Stearns not remove any tigers pending the upcoming PETA inspection. Photo from Facebook page of the Greater Wynnewood Exotic Animal Park in Oklahoma.
  2. St. Petersburg City Council approves $326 million sewage fix


    ST. PETERSBURG — Last week the City Council learned no criminal charges would result from the up to 200 million gallons of sewage St. Petersburg's sewer system released from …

    [LARA CERRI  |  Times]
  3. Pasco commuters watch out: Broken water main restricts State Road 52

    Public Safety

    NEW PORT RICHEY — A water main break has caused a portion of State Road 52 — one of the busiest roads in Pasco County — to buckle on Thursday afternoon, reducing three lanes of westbound traffic to just one.

  4. Man taken into custody after live streaming drive along Clearwater Beach sand

    Public Safety

    CLEARWATER — Clearwater Police took a man into custody Thursday afternoon after, they said, he drove his car over beach chairs and umbrellas along Clearwater Beach and streamed it on Facebook.

    Clearwater Police took a suspect into custody Thursday afternoon after he drove along Clearwater Beach to Caladesi Island, running over beach chairs and umbrellas. [Courtesy of Clearwater Police]
  5. Once trapped and wounded, manatee and calf return to the wild


    NEW PORT RICHEY — The small crowd readied cameras and craned their necks, peering over heads and through bodies to try and catch a glimpse. Brittany Pharel, 10, wanted to see the hulking manatees, a mother and her calf, laid out on blue tarps Thursday along the edge of the Pithlachascotee River.

    Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo's associate veterinarian Lauren Smith, 33, examines the heart rate of a manatee calf named Cottee just before it was released into the waters of the Pithlachascotee River on Thursday. 
Cottee's mother Pascow was released at the same time in New Port Richey. 
The pair became stranded in May and the mother was found wounded. They needed to be rehabilitated before they could be released into open waters. [ALESSANDRA DA PRA  |   Times]