NOTE TO DESK: PLEASE MAKE A COPY OF THIS FILE, AS IT SHOULD RUN PERIODICALLY THROUGHOUT DECEMBER. THANKS.
• Seventh annual "Tangerine Time" New Year's Eve celebration, 9 p.m. to midnight, Jerome Brown Community Center, Tom Varn Park complex, 99 Jerome Brown Place, off Darby Lane, Brooksville. This is a free, nonalcoholic family event that will include games, food and live entertainment. Door prizes will be awarded. The first 500 to arrive will receive free event T-shirts. The evening will culminate with the countdown to 2009 and the drop of a lit tangerine globe at midnight (which is a spin on the New York City tradition). Admission is free, but visitors are encouraged to bring a nonperishable food item, which will be donated to the Salvation Army. For information, call Wayne Vutech at (352) 799-7420 or the city of Brooksville at (352) 544-5407.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10209 New Year's Eve celebration, 7 p.m. to 1 a.m., 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive, Spring Hill. Entertainment will be from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. with Eddie Lawrence and the Ultimate Band. Dinner will be at 8 p.m. — the choice is prime rib or chicken, which includes potatoes, vegetable, roll, salad, dessert and coffee. There will be a champagne toast. Tickets are $35 per person, available in the canteen. For information, call (352) 796-0398.
• St. Jude Knights of Columbus New Year's Eve celebration, 10470 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Individual and full table reservations are available, while they last. Tickets are $50 per person, which includes an open bar from 8 p.m. to midnight, dinner catered by Argento's, music by Larry Greer and a continental breakfast served at 12:30 a.m. Doors will open at 7 p.m. Dec. 31. For information or reservations, call Anthony, Pasquale or Angelo at the Knights, (352) 683-1227.
• The Hernando County Fair Association New Year's Eve celebration, 6436 S Broad St., Brooksville. Doors will open at 7:30 p.m., dinner at 8 p.m. and entertainment by Clay Keith from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. The dinner menu includes salad, roast beef or ham, potatoes, vegetables and dessert. Four bottles of champaign will be provided per table of eight. Wine and beer set-ups will be available for purchase; those attending can bring their own liquor. Tickets are $25 per person. For information or tickets, call the fair office at (352) 796-4552 or Sherry at (352) 796-0600.
• The Hernando Beach Club New Year's Eve celebration, 3145 Flamingo Blvd., Hernando Beach. Doors open at 7 p.m., dinner served at about 8:15 p.m. Entertainment provided by Vintage. Tickets are $65 each, which includes a prime rib dinner, hats, noise makers, an open bar (beer, wine and well drinks) and a light breakfast at midnight. Seating limited. All reservations must be prepaid. For tickets or information, call Bunni at (352) 688-4976.
• German-American Club New Year's Eve dinner-dance at the Hernando County Shrine Club, 13400 Montour St., west of Brooksville. Tickets are $30 for members, $40 for guests (must be purchased in advance). Semiformal to formal attire required. Doors open at 6 p.m., dinner from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. and dancing to Alpen Diamenten from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. There will be a champagne toast and sandwiches at midnight. Bring your own beverages. For tickets, call Lisa Yaskulski at (352) 688-3744.
• Brooksville Elks 2582 New Year's dinner dance, 14494 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. Dress is semi-formal. Hors d'oeuvres will be served from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Dinner will be served at 8 p.m. — the choice is prime rib or cornish hen, which includes cheese potato souffle, California-blend vegetables, Euro rolls and a special dessert. There will be an open bar from 6:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. Dancing will start at 8:30 p.m. with music by the Vic Thompkins band. There will be a champagne toast at midnight with bagels, sweet rolls and coffee available. Tickets are $45 per person, which must be purchased by Dec. 22. Call the Elks office at (352) 596-2582 or Bill Woods (352) 797-9069.