Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Pasco Detective Jason Gay dies of cancer at 28

PORT RICHEY — He kept telling everyone he was fine and they believed him because they wanted to believe him, because Jason Gay couldn't be really sick. He didn't look sick. And he was so young. Surely, he would beat it.

Related News/Archive

Gay, a detective at the Pasco County Sheriff's Office, died Tuesday (March 22, 2011). He had been diagnosed with rectal cancer last March, when he was 27.

"You don't belong in my office," the doctor told Gay.

This type of cancer mostly appears in older people. The doctor told Gay's family the chance of a case like this is less than 1 percent. Gay didn't even have many symptoms; just a few weeks of pain. The first doctor he saw told him to not worry. It was probably hemorrhoids. The doctor gave him some pamphlets, which Gay's mother found in her son's bag while she waited as he underwent a colonoscopy.

Debbie Gay felt relieved. Surely, that's all this could be. Then the doctor called for her.

"It's cancer," the doctor said. "And it's bad."

There was a tumor and it had spread. It was in his liver. It was in his lymph nodes.

Stage 4.

Gay was always so healthy. A big, strong young man. Vibrant. He never liked to sit still. He was on a softball league. A hockey league. A football league. He played golf every weekend. He bowled every Monday in a league with his friends and his dad, Willis, whom everyone calls Willie. He was the one who got Jason into law enforcement. Willie is a cook at the Pasco County jail. Being around law enforcement types rubbed off on Gay, who got a job as a civilian in the property cashier's office at the jail in 2003. Gay's younger brothers followed suit: Brian, 24, and William, 22, are both deputies at the jail.

Gay went to the academy and became a detention deputy, then took more courses, all while still working full time, to become a road patrol deputy. In 2009, he was promoted to detective with the property crimes unit. Capt. Ed Beckman uses Gay as an example when people ask about opportunities in the agency; he tells them of what Gay accomplished in just a few years.

To people who knew Gay, this is not surprising. When he did something, when he wanted something, he did it 100 percent. When he was dieting, he was at the gym at 5 a.m. and ate only lettuce, tofu and rice. When he was eating, he was eating: He loved Japanese steak houses. He loved partying: Vegas, karaoke, beer or fruity drinks with the umbrellas. He didn't care what people thought. If he liked something, he liked it.

Such as chick flicks.

"Did you see 27 Dresses?" Gay once asked his friend Detective Mike Rosa, who works in the major crimes unit. This conversation was in a room full of deputies.

"No, Jason," Rosa recalls saying. "I did not see that movie."

"It's so funny," Gay said.

Gay wasn't embarrassed, not by The Notebook or pina coladas. He named his cats Trevor and Mister Jingles.

He was always fun, always energetic, up for anything. He saw the Grand Canyon and went on cruises to the Caribbean. He kissed sea lions and held monkeys. There are hundreds of photos of him and in all of them he seems happy, arms around his friends; beaches, restaurants, airports, scuba diving.


He still worked, even when the chemo made his hands numb and made his throat feel he was drinking razor blades.

He still played hockey.

He still bowled.

He wore long shirts to cover the machine he carried every other week that pumped chemo continuously into his body.

In June, he competed in a roller hockey tournament.

In October, he went on a cruise.

His liver began to fail and his skin turned yellow and he told the other detectives he was fine.

"He was dying in our office and nobody knew," Rosa said.

He didn't want anyone to worry about him. He didn't want pity or to be treated specially. He wanted to be one of the guys. He wouldn't talk about the cancer.

"I know I have it," he'd tell his dad. And he shut the conversation down.

When he couldn't bowl anymore, he found bingo. He and his parents went every Saturday night. That's where they spent New Year's Eve, playing bingo in Tampa. He moved in with them a few months ago.

His last full day at work was Feb. 14. A few weeks before his death, he called his sergeant asking if he could work from home.

Detective Gay went downhill fast. His organs began shutting down and he went to the emergency room Sunday. Most of his friends got a chance to come and say goodbye. And on Tuesday, when the life support was shut off, he took a few deep breaths and was gone.

Erin Sullivan can be reached at or (727) 869-6229.

>>Funeral services today

Detective Jason Gay

Nov. 19, 1982 — March 22, 2011

The funeral service is today at 10 a.m. at St. James the Apostle Catholic Church at 8400 Monarch Drive, Port Richey. It will be followed by a graveside service at Trinity Memorial Gardens at 12609 Memorial Drive in Trinity. He is survived by his parents, Willis and Debbie Gay; his two younger brothers, Brian and William; his maternal grandmother, Joan Gutowski; an aunt and two uncles. The family has requested that in lieu of flowers, donations be sent to Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. The address is Moffitt Cancer Center Foundation, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33612.

Pasco Detective Jason Gay dies of cancer at 28 03/24/11 [Last modified: Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:43pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Review: Arcade Fire open hearts, play with passion at the USF Sun Dome in Tampa


    Gloves off, hearts open and disco balls glittering, Arcade Fire scaled the stage for the first time ever in Tampa, pouncing and flailing and performing with all the passion that’s made them one of the world’s most celebrated rock bands this century.

    Arcade Fire performed at the USF Sun Dome in Tampa on Sept. 22, 2017.
  2. Lightning's Steven Stamkos looks close to top form in first game since November

    Lightning Strikes

    TAMPA — The wait felt like forever for Lightning captain Steven Stamkos, having gone 10 months without playing in a game.

    A scramble in front of the Lightning goal has Matthew Peca, far left, and Erik Cernak, middle, helping out goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy during the third period of a 3-1 win against the Predators. Vasilevskiy, who made 29 saves, was “exceptional,” coach Jon Cooper says.
  3. Rays journal: Alex Cobb may have pitched last game in Rays uniform (w/video)

    The Heater

    BALTIMORE — RHP Alex Cobb pitched well enough to lead the Rays to an 8-3 win over the Orioles on Friday.

    Wilson Ramos gives thanks after hitting a grand slam during the second inning, putting the Rays up 4-0.
  4. Steven Souza Jr. vindicating big trade for Rays

    The Heater

    BALTIMORE — There was a time when the three-team, 11-player transaction the Rays orchestrated to get Steven Souza Jr. from the Nationals looked liked a bad deal.

    The Rays’ Steven Souza Jr. has 30 home runs this season while improving his defense and baserunning but wants to improve on his .236 batting average.
  5. Fennelly: Lightning's Manon Rheaume made history 25 years ago Saturday

    Lightning Strikes

    The name is part of Lightning history, hockey history, sports history.

    Lightning goalie Manon Rheaume became the first woman to play in an NHL game 25 years ago today.