How local news stacks up
Every news program of network TV affiliates in the Tampa Bay area starts out with a platitude similar to "top rated" and "most powerful." Which station is ranked No. 1 in the latest Nielsen ratings in the 6 and 11 p.m. time slots?
The latest ratings were released recently, and reported on Times TV/Media critic Eric Deggans' blog (www.tampabay.com/blogs/media).
There's a lot more to report than just the top news broadcasts at 6 and 11 p.m., since some of the local stations' broadcasts don't start at those times. So we'll give you some of the highlights of what we found interesting:
• The ratings order, 5-6 a.m.: WTVT-Ch. 13 (Fox), Bay News 9, WFLA-Ch. 8 (NBC), WFTS-Ch. 28 (ABC) and WTSP-Ch. 10 (CBS).
• From 6-7 a.m., the order is: WFLA, WTVT, Bay News 9, WFTS and WTSP.
• From 7-9 a.m., WTVT's Good Day Tampa Bay is followed by the Today Show (WFLA), Bay News 9, Good Morning America (WFTS) and the Early Show (WTSP).
• From 5-5:30 p.m., the order is WTVT, WFTS, WFLA, Bay News 9 and WTSP.
• From 5:30-6 p.m. it's WTVT, WFLA, WFTS, Bay News 9 and WTSP.
At 6 p.m., WTVT is followed by WFLA, Bay News 9, WFTS and WTSP.
• WTSP leads the 11 p.m. news broadcast ratings, followed by WFTS, WTVT, WFLA and Bay News 9. It should be noted that WTVT starts its late-night news at 10 p.m., not 11.
Plug was pulled on 'Hawthorne'
I know Hawthorne with Jada Pinkett Smith was canceled. Did the series get picked up by someone else?
No, Hawthorne has not been picked up by any other network. The medical show ran three seasons on TNT before being canceled on Sept. 2.
'Baker' winner busy with real life
I wondered why Dana, who won the first Next Great Baker Award, never made more than a couple of cameo appearances on Cake Boss. It looked like he left the bakery and he certainly wasn't incorporated into the show. So what happened to him?
Dana Herbert received $50,000, a new car and an internship when he beat out nine other contestants to win the title of the "Next Great Baker" on the show of the same name on the TLC network in January. Later, Herbert appeared on a few episodes of a related TLC series, Cake Boss.
When he won, Herbert said he probably wouldn't do the year-long internship at the Valastro family's bakery in Hoboken, N.J., because he was busy with his job as head chef of the Delaware River and Bay Authority and at his own pastry business, Desserts by Dana. And he and his wife, Netesha, welcomed a daughter to their family in February.