Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Riverview woman wins $2.9 million in scratch-off game

RIVERVIEW — Valerie Duplechain, 64, is one in 3 million.

Those were the odds for the Riverview resident to win the Lucky $200,000 a Year for Life Scratch-Off game. She chose a $2,957,306.00 one-time payment instead of $4 million paid out over 20 years.

About two weeks ago, Duplechain purchased her winning scratch-off ticket at a 7-Eleven on the corner of Bloomingdale Avenue and Providence Road in Riverview, a store employee said.

Ashlee Callahan, a clerk at the store, sold Duplechain the $20 ticket and watched her walk to the trash can outside to scratch it off. Duplechain re-entered the store and asked her to check if there was a comma or a period after the first digit.

Callahan scratched around it and saw the $4,000,000.

"I was so surprised. I thought it was a joke," said Callahan, 18. "But it wasn't."

She verified the ticket in the computer. The words "Congratulations, you are one of the big winners" popped up on the screen.

Callahan said Duplechain often stops at the store at the end of her workday to buy some of the more expensive scratch-off tickets and has continued playing since her win last week.

"I think she wants to win another big one," Callahan said. "You see people play all the time, and you never think anything of it."

The Florida Lottery verified the ticket on June 16.

Duplechain, who lives in a Riverview apartment near the 7-Eleven, could not be reached at her home for comment.

While the store doesn't receive a commission from scratch-off wins, Duplechain gave Callahan $20 for her help.

Duplechain is the fourth winner of the scratch-off game's grand prize. The other three winners were from Dunedin, Ocala and North Fort Myers. Six grand prize tickets remain.

Biz Carson can be reached at ecarson@sptimes.com or (813) 661-2441.

Riverview woman wins $2.9 million in scratch-off game 06/28/11 [Last modified: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 11:22pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Search for missing Army helicopter crew suspended in Hawaii

    Military

    HONOLULU — Officials have suspended the search for five Army soldiers who were aboard a helicopter that crashed during offshore training in Hawaii last week.

    Water safety officials hand over possible debris from an Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crash to military personnel stationed at a command center in a harbor, Wednesday in Haleiwa, Hawaii, a day after. an Army helicopter with five on board crashed several miles off Oahu's North Shore. Officials  suspended the search for five Army soldiers in a helicopter crash during offshore training in Hawaii on Monday. [Associated Press]
  2. Rubio praises Trump for 'excellent' speech on Afghanistan

    Blogs

    Sen. Marco Rubio praised President Donald Trump's "excellent" speech on Afghanistan. Sen. Bill Nelson was less effusive but agreed with the goal.

  3. Gov. Rick Scott blasts report of shifting words on Charlottesville

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott, one of the most scripted politicians in modern Florida history, said Monday that ‘both sides” bore blame for Charlottesville.

  4. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  5. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.