Make us your home page

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Survivor recalls horror of Clearwater parasailing accident that killed his fiancee

Shaun Ladd was wrenched free, but Alejandra White remained strapped in and was dragged on the beach.

Courtesy of Jason T. Schneider

Shaun Ladd was wrenched free, but Alejandra White remained strapped in and was dragged on the beach.


Gliding along in a parasail, the young Georgia couple marveled at what lay before them: the Gulf of Mexico, miles of white sand beaches, a tropical paradise. They had visited several beaches in Florida and South Carolina, looking for the perfect spot to get married.

Clearwater Beach was their favorite.

On a warm September afternoon, riding high above the slate-blue waters, they soaked it all in.

Their thoughts were far away from a storm cell lingering offshore and the winds that were about to thrust them into a personal hell.

It started with a loud snap.

• • •

Alejandra White, 27, was enthralled by the parasail hovering over the water.

Peering out at the gulf from the eighth floor of a beachfront hotel, she told her fiance she wanted to try it.

Shaun Ladd wasn't so sure. The 31-year-old was afraid of heights.

But she insisted. And he agreed.

"If you want to do it, I can't let you do it by yourself," he said.

They walked to Skyscreamer Parasail and were told there weren't enough people and would have to wait another hour.

But two more couples quickly appeared behind them. So they all signed up.

"We can beat the storm," a parasail operator said, Ladd recalls.

White and Ladd were the second couple aloft. They donned safety vests and hooked into a harness, dangling side by side from a parachute pulled by a rope attached to the back of a Skyscreamer boat.

They went up for about five minutes before the parasail operator lowered them enough to dip their feet in the gulf, then back up for three or four minutes, Ladd said.

The operators had pulled them within 50 feet of the boat when Ladd felt the wind pick up, then suddenly get violent. They were tossed in their harnesses about three times.

Then, snap.

"We were just gone at that point," he said.

They climbed through the air untethered from the boat before floating back toward the water.

Both were still hooked to the chute as they began scraping the water, the wind taking them toward the beach. The water slapped them in the face so much they could barely breathe, Ladd said.

He remembers thinking: "I am going to die right here. I am going to die in my parasail."

Suddenly Ladd slammed into something — probably a wave — that ripped him from the harness and dumped him in the water.

White screamed. The parachute was carrying her toward the beach. Ladd was in the water, disoriented, his arms purple and bruised.

Meanwhile, she was being dragged across the sand, hitting beach umbrellas, chairs and a 4-by-4 post holding up a volleyball net.

Eventually Ladd saw his fiancee lying on the beach and made his way to her. She wasn't breathing, but her pulse was strong and he didn't see much blood.

"She looked like she was sleeping," he said. "She didn't look hurt."

• • •

At Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg, a doctor said White had severe brain injuries. The prognosis wasn't good. The next five or six days were crucial.

"I didn't know what to think," Ladd said. "I was in shock."

Doctors had to remove part of her brain that was badly damaged when her skull was cracked. Pressure inside her head reached fatal levels.

She held on for nearly a week. On Sept. 11 at 11:31 a.m., she died from complications of blunt trauma.

• • •

A little over a month since the crash, Ladd is filled with questions he can't answer and daily reminders of the woman he will never see again.

He hasn't spoken publicly about that day until now.

Photos of her fill their home in Lawrenceville, Ga. Her clothes are still neatly tucked away. Her suitcase is still packed — he's not ready to tackle that yet.

Though they knew a storm was brewing in the gulf, Ladd said he and White assumed the winds wouldn't become violent. At most, maybe a little rain.

He remembers talking to one of the parasail operators about going up. He was assured it was okay to go. They want to make money, not get people hurt, the operator said.

For weeks after the crash, Ladd would pick up his phone at 2 p.m., when she used to call him. But there are no more calls.

The U.S. Coast Guard and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission continue to investigate. No boat licenses have been revoked. No charges filed.

Skyscreamer, which closed temporarily after the incident, is carrying new customers into the air. A woman who answered the phone at the business hung up on a reporter seeking comment Wednesday.

Jason Schneider, an Atlanta lawyer representing Ladd and the White estate, said he plans to sue the parasail operators and anyone else responsible once the parasail vessel has been released and the Coast Guard completes its investigation.

The family hopes criminal charges will be filed, but Schneider worries that the Coast Guard has already blamed equipment failure. A Coast Guard spokesman said no conclusions have been reached.

• • •

Ladd wonders what he could have done differently that day.

What if he didn't take the last-minute trip to Clearwater? Or been adamant about not parasailing? Or had gotten her out of the harness?

"You think, think, think … I can't think of a good way out of it," he said.

So he thinks. And he hopes.

He hopes she didn't suffer.

Survivor recalls horror of Clearwater parasailing accident that killed his fiancee 10/13/10 [Last modified: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 11:14pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times


Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

  1. Plan your weekend Aug. 18-20: Elvis in concert, Jason Aldean, Monster Jam Triple Threat, Sing-Along Grease


    Plan your weekend

    The king

    Elvis: Live in Concert: This year marks the 40th anniversary of Elvis Presley's death, and Ruth Eckerd Hall will have a Graceland-produced Elvis concert on a movie screen, accompanied by a full live orchestra. Graceland calls it the closest audiences …

    Handout photos of Elvis: Live in Concert, a tour spectacle featuring a live orchestra backing the voice of Elvis Presley, projected onto a movie screen. The tour comes to Ruth Eckerd Hall on 8/18/17. Credit: Graceland.
  2. Woman convicted in murder of 18-year-old with cerebral palsy gets lighter term


    TAMPA — Linda Bonck, a 90-pound Chamberlain High School senior with cerebral palsy, lived near Tampa's Lowry Park. She struggled to walk and talk but was known for being friendly and trusting of strangers until she vanished one day in 1992.

    Georgia Miller, 39, was convicted for the 1992 murder of Linda Bonck, an 18-year-old Chamberlain High School student who had cerebral palsy. Originally sentenced to life in prison, Miller was resentenced Wednesday to 65 years, the result of U.S. and Florida Supreme Court decisions that found it unconstitutional to sentence juveniles to life. With gain time, Miller will be released from prison in the next six years. [Florida Department of Corrections]
  3. Boynton Beach woman arrested on DUI, child abuse charges


    A Boynton Beach woman was arrested Saturday and faces DUI and child abuse charges after she blew a .200 on a breath test with an unbuckled child in the backseat, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

    Brandy Lerma, 31 of Boynton Beach, was arrested on DUI and child abuse charges on Saturday. [Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office]
  4. Editorial: Why can't Hillsborough commissioners move Confederate monument?


    The violence in Charlottesville, Va., crystallized for much of the nation the danger of refusing to address painful symbols of the past. But not so in Hillsborough County, where the County Commission on Wednesday reversed itself yet again and left open the possibility of leaving a Confederate monument outside the …

  5. Former WTSP employee sues station's parent companies for gender discrimination


    A former director at WTSP-Ch. 10 has sued the station's parent companies, claiming she was the victim of gender discrimination.