Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Tough economy means fewer jobs for Summer Training for At Risk Teens program

Thirteen years ago, Mark Drake saw some kids selling drugs on a street corner. He wanted better for them, so he approached the young men and asked them why they were dealing dope. When they said they wanted money for clothes like their peers, he had an idea.

He started a program called Summer Training for At Risk Teens, or START. The program is intended to give teenagers and young adults an opportunity to work during the summer instead of wasting time or getting into trouble.

Every summer since, Drake has put the children to work at places like the Animal Services shelter or the maintenance departments of local schools. Students are compelled to open bank accounts and save some of their money so they can spend it on clothes, school supplies and other necessities.

About 35 children participated in the program last year. This year Drake has circulated 100 applications, hoping to gather at least 50 kids for employment.

As the program grows, however, Drake has found that budget cuts have affected more than government employees and services. Institutions such as the Sheriff's Office and County Commission, which used to set aside money to hire young people during the summer, can no longer afford to do so.

"I'm worried that I might not have enough jobs to pass on to the children," he said.

At the same time, the dour economic conditions have made it increasingly important to reach out to at-risk youth, Drake said.

Several former participants said the START program was highly beneficial to them. They said it taught them to become responsible and made them more aware of what it takes to hold down a job.

"It gave me a taste of life before life," said Henry Waddy, who added that the program helped prepare him for a job at Walmart, where he has been for the past eight years. "(Drake) wanted to see if I could succeed."

Drake's initiative isn't the only summer program for young people that has felt the effect of the economy.

The Summer Break Enrichment Program, run by Hernando County NAACP president Paul Douglas, has seen its funding reduced. Grant money provided by the state Department of Children and Families covered the costs of an administrator, employees and food for children, among other things.

Douglas said the program needed $94,000; the loss of grant money leaves the 10-week program with less than $10,000.

He is now seeking other sources of money.

Drake's program is trying to raise more than $65,000 to provide his students with part-time employment.

Douglas expressed concern at the effect that budget cuts are having on programs intended to keep children off the streets during the summer, especially in the wake of the announcement of plans to close several local parks.

"These kids are just out there," he said. "I don't know what we can do about it."

.How to help

Call to apply, help

Anyone interested in applying for the Summer Training for At Risk Teens program should contact Mark Drake by Tuesday at (352) 442-1845. Businesses or organizations willing to offer employment also may call Drake.

Tough economy means fewer jobs for Summer Training for At Risk Teens program 05/27/11 [Last modified: Friday, May 27, 2011 6:45pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Rowdies shut out at Pittsburgh

    Soccer

    PITTSBURGH — The Rowdies lost their first USL game in nearly a month, 1-0 to Pittsburgh on Thursday night.

  2. Trump reveals that he didn't record Comey after all

    Politics

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump declared Thursday he never made and doesn't have recordings of his private conversations with ousted former FBI director James Comey, ending a monthlong guessing game that he started with a cryptic tweet and that ensnared his administration in yet more controversy.

    President Donald Trump said Thursday that he didn’t record his conversations with James Comey.
  3. Lightning fans, don't get attached to your first-round draft picks

    Lightning Strikes

    CHICAGO — When Lightning GM Steve Yzerman announces his first-round pick tonight in the amateur draft at No. 14, he'll invite the prospect onto the stage for the once-in-a-lifetime photo opportunity.

    Tampa Bay Lightning left wing Jonathan Drouin (27) eludes  Montreal Canadiens left wing Phillip Danault (24) during the second period of Wednesday???‚??„?s (12/28/16) game between the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Montreal Canadiens at the Amalie Arena in Tampa.
  4. Investigation Discovery TV show profiles 2011 Landy Martinez murder case

    Crime

    The murder of a St. Petersburg man will be featured this week on a new true crime series Murder Calls on Investigation Discovery.

    Jose Adame sits in a Pinellas County courtroom during his 2016 trial and conviction for first-degree murder. Adame was convicted of first-degree murder last year for torturing and then executing his boyfriend as he pleaded for his life in 2011. Now it will be featured in a new true crime series Murder Calls on Investigation Discovery. The episode will air on June 26 at 9 p.m. [DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD   |   Times]
  5. Uhuru mayoral candidate Jesse Nevel protests exclusion from debate

    Blogs

    ST. PETERSBURG — Jesse Nevel, the International People’s Democratic Uhuru Movement candidate for mayor, on Thursday demanded that he be allowed to participate in a July 25 televised debate between incumbent Mayor Rick Kriseman and challenger Rick Baker.

    Mayoral candidate Jesse Nevel holds a news conference outside the headquarters of the Tampa Bay Times on Thursday to protest his exclusion from the mayoral debate. Nevel is a member of the International People’s Democratic Uhuru Movement.