BROOKSVILLE — The Brooksville Kiwanis Club's 34th annual Hernando County Christmas Parade begins at 10 a.m. at Hernando High School and will feature 111 entries to dazzle the crowd.
The parade will proceed south to Broad Street, where it will turn left and head to Bell Avenue. This year's grand marshal will be "Papa Joe" Giarratana and his wife, Donna.
There will be a host of downtown activities after the parade, including a Christmas carnival from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. at First Baptist Church, 420 Howell Ave. There will be games, prizes, music and food. All activities and lunch are free. Call (352) 796-6791 for information.
Later, the city will honor former resident and 2008 "Great Brooksvillian" Dr. Paul Farmer at a 4:30 p.m. ceremony at City Hall, 201 N Howell Ave.
Farmer also will be on hand to sign copies of the book Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World, by Tracy Kidder, at 1:30 p.m. at the downtown library branch, 238 Howell Ave. Copies of the book will be for sale.
Farmer will talk about his efforts at 5:30 p.m., with a reception afterward, in a tent set up at Jefferson and Orange streets. Tickets to the lecture are $100, and proceeds benefit Farmer's nonprofit Partners in Health.
There are a number of other holiday-related activities around Hernando County this weekend:
• Angels On High Holiday Celebration, 6:30 to 9 p.m. today and Sunday on the Lake House grounds, 1202 Kenlake Ave., Spring Hill. (352) 666-4746.
• Weeki Wachee Springs Winter Waterland 2008, 7 to 10 p.m. today, 6131 Commercial Way, Weeki Wachee. Admission is $6 for adults, $3 for ages 6 to 10 and free for ages 5 and younger. Admission is free to pass holders. (352) 596-2062.
• Brooksville Elks Lodge 2582 Christmas dinner-dance, today, 14494 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. Cocktails from 4 to 5 p.m. and dinner is from 5 to 6 p.m. Tickets are $13. (352) 796-9784.
• VFW Post 8681 Ladies Auxiliary's Christmas Jamboree Dinner Dance, 6 tonight to midnight, 18940 Drayton St., Shady Hills. Tickets are $15. (727) 856-1860.
• Korean War Veterans Christmas Party, today, VFW Post 10209, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive, Spring Hill. Doors open at 2 p.m. Tickets are $20 per person. (352) 688-7196.
• Filipino-American Social Club's Christmas Dinner-Ball, 6 to 11 p.m. today, Wellington Grand Ballroom, 400 Wexford Blvd., Spring Hill. Tickets are $35 for adults ($40 at the door), $18 for ages 6 to 12 and free for children 5 and younger. Call (352) 684-9252.
• Hernando County La Sertoma Club's annual Pancake Breakfast with Santa, 8 to 11 a.m. Sunday, 7219 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill. The cost is $3 per person; children 2 and younger are admitted free. (352) 397-4304.
• "A Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols" Nativity service, 3 p.m. Sunday and 7 p.m. Wednesday, Christ Lutheran Church, 475 North Ave. W, Brooksville. (352) 796-8331.