Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

USF anthropologists request to exhume bodies at Dozier School

University of South Florida researchers will request a permit from the state archaeologist to exhume bodies from more than 50 unmarked graves at the former Dozier School for Boys in Marianna.

That's according to Attorney General Pam Bondi, who issued a statement Friday announcing the move, which came after a meeting with interested parties, she said.

Last week, a judge in Jackson County denied a request for a court order to allow the exhumation, saying state law already gives a medical examiner authority to do so. He added that for remains interred more than 75 years, the state archaeologist has jurisdiction over their removal.

In recent years, several hundred men have come forward with stories of sexual abuse, extreme beatings from school staff and tales of classmates who disappeared. Their claims have led to efforts by state officials and others to figure out just what went on at the Dozier School, which the Department of Juvenile Justice closed in 2011.

But some area residents have fought such efforts, trying to discredit the men and stop the exhumations to protect the reputation of locals and those who ran the school.

A state permit, under which USF anthropologists have tried to pinpoint where the graves are and who is buried in them, is enough for them to continue their work, Circuit Judge William Wright said. If they unearth human remains, the medical examiner would have the authority to investigate.

USF anthropologists request to exhume bodies at Dozier School 05/31/13 [Last modified: Friday, December 12, 2014 11:37am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Investigators reviewing HHS chief's private charter flights

    Politics

    WASHINGTON — Federal investigators are examining Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price's recent use of costly charter flights on the taxpayers' dime for official business.

  2. FSU gives president John Thrasher a pay bump as its academic standing rises

    College

    TALLAHASSEE — With Florida State University moving closer to becoming a top-25 public university, the school's trustees on Friday bumped up President John Thrasher's salary by 7 percent and awarded him a $200,000 bonus.

    Florida State University President John Thrasher, center, is surrounded by lawmakers in 2016 as he visits the Florida Senate. Thrasher on Friday received a pay increase to go with the university's increased academic standing, including in the latest U.S. News & World Report ranking of public universities. FSU ranks 33rd this year, and is aiming for a top-25 spot. [SCOTT KEELER   |   Times]

  3. Pasco driver, 66, dies in Friday crash on SR 54

    Accidents

    NEW PORT RICHEY — A 66-year-old man died Friday after he collided with oncoming traffic on State Road 54 in Pasco County, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

  4. Florida reverses decision to shield information from nursing home inspection reports

    Health

    TALLAHASSEE — Florida regulators decided Friday they will abandon the use of software that allowed them to heavily redact key words from nursing home inspection reports posted online, choosing instead to link to the more complete reports available on a federal site.

    Officials for the state Agency for Health Care Administration said Friday they will no longer use software that allowed them to heavily redact key words from nursing home inspection reports posted online. The agency has been under increased scrutiny since Sept. 13, when eight residents of The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills, pictured here, died after power was lost to an air-conditioning system during Hurricane Irma. Two more residents died this week. [South Florida Sun-Sentinel]
  5. Trump's travel ban to be replaced by restrictions tailored to certain countries

    Nation

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump's ban on travelers from six majority-Muslim countries is set to be replaced as soon as this weekend with more targeted restrictions on visits to the United States that would vary by country, officials familiar with the plans told the New York Times on Friday.