Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Iraqi Cabinet passes U.S. security accord

BAGHDAD — Iraq's Cabinet approved a security pact Sunday that sets a timetable for the nearly complete withdrawal of American forces within three years, but the agreement faces an uncertain outlook in Iraq's parliament.

The largest Sunni party in Iraq, the Iraqi Islamic Party, wants the agreement to go to a nationwide referendum. Its affiliated parties complain that their efforts to amend the plan to require the release of detainees and to provide compensation for war victims were ignored by lawmakers who shaped the pact.

The accord, if passed by parliament, will sharply reduce the U.S. military's power in Iraq. American soldiers will be required to seek warrants from Iraqi courts to execute arrests and to hand over suspects to Iraqi authorities. U.S. troops will have to leave their combat outposts in Iraqi cities by mid 2009, withdrawing to bases.

Followers of anti-American cleric Muqtada al-Sadr view the agreement as an affirmation of the American occupation and oppose it outright.

Their dissent colors broad political momentum Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki built through the weekend after he reportedly gained new concessions from the U.S. government. It won support from 27 of the 28 Cabinet members. Nine members did not vote because they were traveling, a minister said.

Maliki declared his support for the agreement Friday, and helped persuade Shiite cleric Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani to give it the green light Saturday. Sistani is Iraq's leading religious authority and does not share Sadr's view of the security agreement.

Representatives of Maliki's Dawa party framed the deal as a means to end America's occupation of Iraq while phasing out assisting coalition forces.

It strengthens Iraqi controls over U.S. forces by:

• Requiring the United States to get Iraqi consent before searching homes.

• Giving Iraqis authority over the international zone that houses the centers of American power in Baghdad.

• Enabling Iraqis to search U.S. cargo.

• Prohibiting Americans from conducting raids in other countries from Iraqi soil.

• Eliminating the judicial immunity that applies to foreign contractors and U.S. soldiers working in Iraq under the occupation's current mandate.

If it passes parliament, the agreement would replace a United Nations mandate that allows American forces to operate in Iraq through Dec. 31.

Maliki's delegates stressed that the agreement leaves no room to extend the American presence in Iraq beyond Dec. 31, 2011. It calls on American units to pull out of Iraqi cities by June 2009.

"The total withdrawal will be completed by Dec. 31, 2011. This is not governed by circumstances on the ground," government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh said, pointedly rejecting the more conditional language that the U.S. government had earlier sought in the accord.

Dabbagh noted his government could cancel the agreement if its own forces became capable of controlling security at an earlier point.

U.S. officials, meanwhile, have pointed out that there is nothing stopping the next Iraqi government from asking some U.S. troops to stay on. The Iraqi military is years away from being able to defend its country, U.S. and Iraqi officials said.

Despite the approval by the Iraqi Cabinet, a battle awaits inside the 275-member parliament. Hadi al-Ameri, a leading Shiite lawmaker, said the only way the agreement could pass was with consensus among the major political blocs.

Vice President Tariq al-Hashimi's party was still calling Sunday to put the agreement before voters as a referendum. Nawal al-Sammaraie, a member of his party and a state minister for women's affairs, was the only Cabinet minister who voted against the security pact.

"We are afraid that even if the agreement passes in parliament it could be (opposed) by Tariq al-Hashimi," Ameri said, speaking for a Shiite coalition called the United Iraqi Alliance. "The Americans put the ball in our field today. We gave it a strong kick, and now the ball is in the field of the Americans and the Sunnis. We are waiting to see what they do."

Information from the Washington Post was used in this report.

Iraqi Cabinet passes U.S. security accord 11/16/08 [Last modified: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:37pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

Copyright: For copyright information, please check with the distributor of this item, Tribune News Service.
    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. James Wilder Jr. back at running back...in Canada

    Blogs

    Remember when former Plant High star and Florida State running back James Wilder Jr. announced he was switching to linebacker?

    That was short-lived, apparently.

  2. Unlicensed contractor accused of faking death triggers policy change at Pinellas construction licensing board

    Local Government

    The unlicensed contractor accused of faking his death to avoid angry homeowners has triggered an immediate change in policy at the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board.

    Last year Glenn and Judith Holland said they paid a contractor thousands of dollars to renovate their future retirement home in Seminole. But when they tried to move in on Dec. 14, they said the home was in shambles and uninhabitable. They sent a text message to contractor Marc Anthony Perez at 12:36 p.m. looking for answers. Fourteen minutes later, they got back this text: "This is Marc's daughter, dad passed away on the 7th of December in a car accident. Sorry." Turns out Perez was still alive. Now the Hollands are suing him in Pinellas-Pasco circuit court. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]
  3. What you need to know for Tuesday, June 27

    News

    Catching you up on overnight happenings, and what you need to know today.

    Former St. Petersburg mayor and current mayoral candidate Rick Baker, left, and St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman square off tonight in a debate. [Times]
  4. Once 'angry' about Obamacare, Republican David Jolly came to see it as 'safety net'

    Blogs

    Former Congressman David Jolly, who ran against Obamacare in 2013, said in an interview Monday night that he now considers it a "safety net."

  5. Five children hospitalized after chlorine release at Tampa pool store

    Accidents

    Five children were sickened at a pool store north of Tampa on Monday after a cloud of chlorine was released, according to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.