BROOKSVILLE — Ten Brooksville residents have their sights set on the City Council vacancy left open when Emory Pierce resigned his seat last month to take a city manager's job in Blountstown.
The applicants, all of whom submitted letters of interest for the temporary position, include a former congressional candidate, a former legislative candidate as well as several prominent Brooksville residents.
Council members are expected to make their choice during the Aug. 15 meeting. That person would then serve until the winner of the November 2012 non-partisan election takes office.
Pierce, 64, announced last month that he was taking the job in the Panhandle town. Council members serve four years and receive a $5,400 annual stipend.
The list of council hopefuls include:
• Robert Battista, a former Brooksville city attorney, who served as county attorney for both Hernando and Citrus counties.
• Karen Beasley, who was assistant to former Circuit Judge Jack Springstead, and is a longtime member of the Brooksville Kiwanis Club.
• Robert Eden, an electrical contractor, who served 25 years on the Hernando County construction licensing board.
• Kevin Hohn, who works as public records product specialist with Thomson Reuters
• Richard Lilliston, chief executive with Hillsborough Achievement and Resource Centers.
• Darren McKethan, a lifelong Brooksville resident who lists his employment with Ed Morse.
• Jason Patrick Sager, a former tea party candidate who last year ran unsuccessfully for the congressional seat won by then-Sheriff Rich Nugent.
• Jason Sharp, who ran unsuccessfully for City Council in 2008, and who lists his occupation as self-employed.
• Jay A. Thompson, who lost his Democratic bid for the Florida House of Representatives District 44 seat to Diane Rowden in the August primary, and serves on the city's beautification and cemetery boards.
• William Webb, a Brooksville resident since 2009 whose experience includes serving on Northeast Illinois Council of the Boy Scouts of America.
Logan Neill can be reached at (352) 848-1435 or firstname.lastname@example.org.