Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Clearwater council topples idea for sand castle playground

The city dropped plans for a $440,000 sand castle playground.

City of Clearwater

The city dropped plans for a $440,000 sand castle playground.

CLEARWATER— Clearwater Beach won't get its sand castle playground after all.

At the City Council's Monday work session, members scuttled the concrete play structure proposed for the Pier 60 area. Envisioned to look like a giant sand castle that would draw tourists, city officials had hoped it would help cement the beach's reputation as the best in the country.

A Minnesota company would have installed the playground by September in time for the busy tourist season.

But last week, the Clearwater Beach Chamber of Commerce and the Clearwater Beach Association announced their opposition, saying the $440,000 slated for the project would be better spent on additional parking and extended hours for the beach library and recreation center.

The city's Parks and Recreation Advisory Board hasn't formally notified the council, but its members voted against the playground at a recent meeting, too.

"Their reason being is that they believe dollars should be spent on the residents, not necessarily on the tourists," said Kevin Dunbar, parks and recreation director.

Vice Mayor Paul Gibson said the community had spoken.

"I can't find anyone who does (support it). I would be in favor of not constructing it, moving on and wasting as little time as possible on this," he said.

Council member Doreen Hock-DiPolito, who had been a vocal supporter of the project, didn't speak up for it at the meeting. During a break, she said she still liked the idea but would support a scaled-back plan of creating a flag plaza and buying a new welcome sign for the beach. City officials have estimated those costs to be around $120,000.

Mayor George Cretekos said last week he was uncomfortable spending so much money on a new beach playground when numerous playgrounds had been torn down in other parts of the city.

Dunbar said his department had been acting as "good stewards" of the taxpayer money. The city closed or planned to close nine playgrounds that were outdated, near other playgrounds or underused and vandalized, he said.

Several new playgrounds have been built in the city since the department reviewed its inventory in 2006, Dunbar said.

Still, Cretekos said, "I'm a whole lot more comfortable" expanding playgrounds in other parts of the city than on the beach. Pier 60 already has a playground, which would have stayed open even if the sand castle playground project had been approved.

The council agreed to take up the flag plaza and sign plans at its Thursday regular meeting.

Also on Monday, the council agreed to postpone the decision to set a Nov. 5 referendum on whether the Clearwater Marine Aquarium should be allowed to lease city land, including City Hall, for a new aquarium. The council will review the 75-word ballot language and revisit the issue at its June 3 work session.

Charlie Frago can be reached at cfrago@tampabay.com or (727) 445-4159. You can follow him on Twitter @CharlieFrago. To write a letter to the editor, go to tampabay.com/letters.

Clearwater council topples idea for sand castle playground 05/13/13 [Last modified: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:28pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. 'Free speech rally' cut short after massive counterprotest

    Nation

    BOSTON — Thousands of demonstrators chanting anti-Nazi slogans converged Saturday on downtown Boston in a boisterous repudiation of white nationalism, dwarfing a small group of conservatives who cut short their planned "free speech rally" a week after a gathering of hate groups led to bloodshed in Virginia.

    Thousands of people march against a “free speech rally” planned Saturday in Boston. About 40,000 people were in attendance.
  2. Police pull unconscious New Port Richey man from SUV in Cotee River

    Accidents

    NEW PORT RICHEY — Police rescued an unconscious driver whose sport utility vehicle plunged into the Cotee River on Saturday.

  3. Analysis: Bannon is out, but his agenda may live on

    Politics

    WASHINGTON — In his West Wing office, Stephen Bannon kept a chart listing trade actions — on China, steel and autos — that the Trump White House planned to roll out, week by week, through the fall. Now that Bannon, the president's chief strategist, has been pushed out, the question is whether his …

    Steve Bannon thinks he could be more effective influencing policy from outside the White House.
  4. Trump to skip Kennedy Center Honors awards program

    Politics

    BRIDGEWATER, N.J. — Acknowledging that he has become a "political distraction," President Donald Trump has decided to skip the festivities surrounding the annual Kennedy Center Honors arts awards later this year, the White House announced Saturday amid the continuing fallout over Trump's stance on last weekend's …

  5. Bucs' annual Women of RED preseason party attracts nearly 2,000

    Bucs

    TAMPA — Theresa Jones is primarily a college football fan, but she wanted to get a taste of the Bucs. So the 46-year-old Tampa resident bought a ticket for the team's Women of RED Ultimate Football Party at Raymond James Stadium on Friday.

    Lee White of Seminole tries on a helmet at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla. on Friday, August 18, 2017.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers female fans descended upon Raymond James Stadium for the ultimate football party, the 2017 Women of RED: The Takeover, supported by Moffitt Cancer Center. CHARLIE KAIJO   |   Times