Saturday, April 21, 2018
News Roundup

Clearwater targets longtime downtown eyesore

CLEARWATER — Time may finally be running out for Clearwater's most notorious eyesore.

For nearly nine years, the unfinished Strand condominium tower has remained a barren concrete skeleton. Its 15-story shell looms over the eastern entrance to downtown, visible for at least a mile in every direction.

The city has fined the building's owners $188,500 for code violations since 2013, but that hasn't accomplished much. Officials think the owners have been paying the fines with the help of revenue from cellphone towers perched atop the structure.

Now the city is running out of patience and is ramping up its actions.

The fire marshal has declared the Strand an unsafe building. Officials have cut off electrical power to the property, disabling its cell towers. They've started to gather prices from demolition contractors. For the first time, the city is talking openly of knocking the whole thing down.

"We have an unsafe structure, and it's a pretty large one. It's not going to be allowed to just stay there in its current condition," City Manager Bill Horne said. "The status quo cannot continue to exist, and that's why a tear-down becomes part of the conversation."

"The only reason it's there now is because it provides the structure for a farm of cell tower antennas. Under our code, that's not the purpose of that building."

The structure at 1100 Cleveland St. was built in 1972. It was a mostly vacant office building by the time a developer bought it in 2004 for $5.7 million. Workers stripped the tower to its bones, preparing to convert it into 88 high-end condos complete with a concierge, pool and spa.

When the economy went bust, the work stopped in 2009 and never really started up again.

Its current owner is Espacio USA, a Miami-based subsidiary of a Spanish company. The company's website and listed phone number no longer work. Its Tampa-based lawyers wouldn't respond to phone calls or emails seeking comment.

The nearly 200,000-square-foot structure at Cleveland Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue has long been for sale. The asking price was $16 million, then $12 million, and most recently $8 million.

It's an open question as to whether the building's weathered concrete and exposed steel beams can even be used. Five years ago, Espacio was required to test the steel for rust. The company reported that some minor surface rust could be eliminated with wire brushes.

A Chicago investment group seriously considered buying the structure last year, then changed its mind after taking a closer look.

"It's been exposed to the elements in a saltwater environment," said Casey Babb, a former listing agent for the building. "It's not for the faint of heart."

Party spot

In the intervening years, the towering concrete shell has become a hangout for high school partiers and an illegal shelter for homeless people.

One night last week, two teenage boys were found on its roof, said Clearwater police Chief Dan Slaughter. They had lifted up a chain-link fence, then slipped into the structure by using a ladder that had been left at the site.

Meanwhile, across Cleveland Street, developers have broken ground on a large complex of 257 high-end apartments on a nearly 7-acre vacant lot. The city views that development as a way to pump much-needed energy into downtown.

In the case of the Strand, however, the city has deemed it an abandoned structure and has been fining Espacio $250 a day for code violations. The company has paid $107,750 in fines so far and has an outstanding balance of $80,750, records show.

Now the city is going a step further, calling the Strand an "unsafe" structure, not just abandoned.

"There are dangerous electrical situations in there. There's rebar sticking up — all kinds of hazards," Clearwater building official Kevin Garriott said. "People have been living in there on all levels, climbing as high as the 15th floor."

City officials are ordering the building's owner to secure the property. Espacio responded this week by hiring a contractor to seal off the building's lower floors more thoroughly, according to city documents. Also, the company's CEO told the city that Espacio had ended its lease with the cellphone towers atop the structure, officials said.

Ultimately, the city is trying to get the building's owner to either sell it, develop it or demolish it.

"If the owner doesn't bring the building into compliance, the city can proceed with demolition," Garriott said. "We're getting estimates of what it would cost to take a building like that down."

The ballpark estimates so far: A cool $1 million.

Contact Mike Brassfield at [email protected] or (727) 445-4151. Follow @MikeBrassfield.

Comments
Clearwater Central Catholic tops Dunedin Spring Tournament host in extra innings

Clearwater Central Catholic tops Dunedin Spring Tournament host in extra innings

DUNEDIN — After losing a four-run lead thanks to a bad sixth inning, it would have been easy for Clearwater Central Catholic to fold against Dunedin in the final of the 49th annual Dunedin Spring Tournament. But quality relief pitching from Gar...
Updated: 4 hours ago
Span, Rays top Twins in 10 innings

Span, Rays top Twins in 10 innings

ST. PETERSBURG — Roughly four hours before taking the field against his former team Friday, Rays outfielder Denard Span spoke admirably about the Minnesota Twins, their organization in general, even hometown icon Joe Mauer.But business is busin...
Updated: 5 hours ago
Lightning feels Ryan McDonagh’s impact

Lightning feels Ryan McDonagh’s impact

BRANDON — Ryan McDonagh blocks shots. He competes for pucks in the corners and wins those battles. He moves the puck up the ice well. He can join the rush. He can shoot from the blue line. He kills penalties."It was a great pickup by (Lightning...
Updated: 5 hours ago

High school scoreboard for April 20

Friday’s scoreboardSoftballSpringstead 15, Central 0
Updated: 6 hours ago
St. Pete says discharge never reached the bay. Its own report says otherwise.

St. Pete says discharge never reached the bay. Its own report says otherwise.

ST. PETERSBURG — The city said not one of the 266,000 gallons of reclaimed water released on Jan. 18 reached Tampa Bay.There was no mention of the waste released from the Northeast Water Reclamation Facility ever reaching the bay in the city’s notice...
Updated: 7 hours ago
Tampa Bay students voice opinions on gun laws during school walkouts

Tampa Bay students voice opinions on gun laws during school walkouts

Nicole Leary and Taylor Redington stood outside St. Petersburg High School on Friday morning with parents and protesters who had gathered with bullhorns and signs. In a few minutes they would lead about 70 students on a walk to City Hall, joining oth...
Updated: 7 hours ago
Deputies: Woman in road rage incident targeted ... a school bus?

Deputies: Woman in road rage incident targeted ... a school bus?

TAMPA — Deputies are searching for a woman accused of blocking a special needs school bus with her car, getting out and banging and kicking on the bus door until she broke the glass.And there were four children inside, deputies said, as she shouted a...
Updated: 7 hours ago
Sami Vatanen a big loss for Devils if he doesn’t play in Game 5

Sami Vatanen a big loss for Devils if he doesn’t play in Game 5

BRANDON – Devils top defenseman Sami Vatanen had not traveled to Tampa as of Friday afternoon, according to coach John Hynes, and his availability for Game 5 Saturday against the Lightning is in doubt.Hynes, however, did not rule out Vatan...
Updated: 8 hours ago
Plan to entice developers to help pay for Rays ballpark hits speed bump

Plan to entice developers to help pay for Rays ballpark hits speed bump

TAMPA — Private developers would bear much of the cost of a new Rays stadium in Ybor City under a plan Hillsborough County officials are putting together.Developers would benefit by cashing in on commercial, retail and other construction around a ne...
Updated: 8 hours ago
St. Pete police search for missing 20-year-old woman

St. Pete police search for missing 20-year-old woman

ST. PETERSBURG — Officers are searching for a 20-year-old woman who they believe to be missing and who could be in danger.Kayla Brandi Boone was last seen at about 11 p.m. Thursday in the 2700 block of Fourth Street S, according to St. Petersburg pol...
Updated: 8 hours ago