Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Commissioners' reversal reactivates Peck Sink bids

BROOKSVILLE — With a possible lawsuit and the loss of state money hanging over their heads, county commissioners on Wednesday reversed direction once again on the controversial Peck Sink project.

Last week, commissioners voted to reject all the engineering proposals they had received to design a stormwater treatment system and passive park at the environmentally sensitive 80-acre site near Brooksville.

The idea then was to change county policy to allow local firms to get preference over out-of-county competitors for government contracts.

Hernando already gives such an edge to local businesses in some instances; this would extend that advantage to professional services, such as engineering, when committees evaluating bids have local firms ranked even with outside companies.

King Engineering Associates Inc. of Tampa and A Civil Design Group of Spring Hill had tied in such a recent ranking by the selection committee working on the Peck Sink project. Using the tie-breaking solution that has been in place for the past six years, purchasing director Jim Gantt determined that King Engineering would win because it earned the most first-place ratings by the committee members.

In order to give local bidders some help during these tough economic times, the commissioners last week rejected all of the bids and called for a do-over.

King Engineering filed a formal bid protest stating that the decision wasn't based on the qualifications of the applying engineers, but rather a new criteria that came up after the bids had been submitted.

Citing "extraordinary circumstances,'' Commissioner Dave Russell asked to have the issue brought forward again during Wednesday's meeting.

Richard Matassa of Civil Design told commissioners that he has been told he has a legal case if the county reversed itself, but he said had no intent of pursuing one.

He also argued that the commission wasn't really changing a rule on tie-breaking because it has no written rule.

Gantt said that the county's policy had changed in the past but since 2002 the same tie-breaking method has been used without any problems until this case.

Representing King Engineering, attorney Derrill McAteer urged the commission to reconsider its previous decision. "King Engineering would very much like to perform this service,'' he said.

Commissioner John Druzbick, who proposed the tie-breaker based on local firms getting favored status, said Wednesday that he still believes that should be the county's policy for future cases.

Commissioners Jeff Stabins and Russell said it was important to find a formal tie-breaking mechanism that was fair and legally defensible. County Attorney Garth Coller asked commissioners for their views to help define what it would mean to be a local firm as the county staff draws up some tie-breaking policy proposal.

Russell then reminded commissioners that the Peck Sink project was funded in large part through state dollars at a time when the state is scrambling to make up huge revenue deficits. Delaying this project "could spell doom,'' he said. "If we did not take action today, we could very well be at risk of losing that.''

Commissioners voted 4-1 to accept their selection committee's ranking and begin negotiations with King Engineering on the project.

Commissioner Jim Adkins said he voted to reject the engineering proposals last week for the same reason he voted not to accept them on Wednesday. He did not believe in the project and said the planned stormwater improvements and passive park would not fix the historical flooding problems in that area of Brooksville.

"I just didn't want park benches on pontoons,'' he said.

Barbara Behrendt can be reached at [email protected] or (352) 848-1434.

Commissioners' reversal reactivates Peck Sink bids 12/10/08 [Last modified: Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:20pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Fox renewed O'Reilly contract despite knowing of allegations

    Nation

    NEW YORK (AP) — The Fox News Channel says the company knew a news analyst planned to file a sexual harassment lawsuit against Bill O'Reilly when it renewed the popular personality's contract in February.

    Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly appears on the Fox News show, "The O'Reilly Factor," in New York. O'Reilly has lost his job at Fox News Channel in April following reports that several women had been paid millions of dollars to keep quiet about harassment allegations. [Associated Press file]
  2. Conviction overturned 30 years later in neo-Nazi murder case

    Criminal

    TAMPA — A judge on Friday overturned the murder conviction of Dean McKee now that new evidence has raised doubt about McKee's guilt in a Tampa slaying that occurred nearly three decades ago when he was 16.

    In 1987, a St. Petersburg Times reporter interviewed Dean McKee for a story about young skinheads in Tampa. [Times | 1987]
  3. Experts have some theories on who's carrying out Seminole Heights killings

    Crime

    The words serial killer tend to conjure an image of a middle-aged white man, likely a loner. He stabs or chokes or strangles, murdering up close for the thrill, straight out of central casting.

    A memorial was set up where Anthony Naiboa, 20, was found shot to death in Seminole Heights. Some experts who have reviewed information in the case say that whoever is behind the three Seminole Heights killings may live in the area. [JONATHAN CAPRIEL  |  Times]
  4. Late fumble, field goal send Florida State to another loss

    College

    TALLAHASSEE — Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher didn't have an explanation for the turning point in Saturday's 31-28 last-second loss to Louisville.

    Louisville's Lamar Jackson gets past Florida State's Matthew Thomas to score in the first quarter of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, in Tallahassee Fla. (AP Photo/Steve Cannon) FLSC102
  5. Funeral starts for soldier at center of Trump fight

    Military

    COOPER CITY, Fla. (AP) — Mourners remembered not only a U.S. soldier whose combat death in Africa led to a political fight between President Donald Trump and a Florida congresswoman but his three comrades who died with him.

    The casket of Sgt. La David T. Johnson of Miami Gardens, who was killed in an ambush in Niger. is wheeled out after a viewing at the Christ The Rock Church, Friday, Oct. 20, 2017  in Cooper City, Fla. (Pedro Portal/Miami Herald via AP) FLMIH102