Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

County disagrees with contractor, says Hernando Beach Channel dredge isn't done

BROOKSVILLE — Last week, the chief executive of the contractor for the Hernando Beach Channel dredge proudly announced that the work was finished.

While most of the dredging indeed was complete, the county this week put BCPeabody on notice that it still has lots of work to do.

In a letter dated Tuesday, county environmental services director Susan Goebel chides BCPeabody executive Robert Carpenter for not having everything done as promised by Jan. 31.

"While we recognize that great efforts were made to ensure that dredging activities were completed by this date, the project in its entirety was to be completed by Jan. 31st,'' Goebel wrote.

The letter included a list of 33 tasks that must be completed before the county determines that the project is finished and considers paying BCPeabody the approximately $420,000 still owed on the project.

Originally, all of the work was to be completed by Dec. 31, the deadline set by the Florida Department of Transportation. Six million dollars of the project money came through the DOT.

But the county altered its contract with BCPeabody, allowing it to escape a $5,000-per-day fine as long as the work was "substantially complete'' by Dec. 31, which the county determined it was. And the DOT extended its deadline.

The county anticipated that everything would be wrapped up by the end of January. Now, Goebel notes in her letter that county officials expect to see all work wrapped up in the next month.

Among the tasks listed is removing a high spot in one of the canals off the channel that was created by a booster pump used to move sand through a pipe to shore during the hydraulic portion of the dredge, Goebel said.

The contractor also must return another canal to the natural depth indicated in the dredge permit from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.

Much of the remaining work involves BCPeabody collecting equipment, pipes, poles and debris; restoring lots damaged by the off-loading process; repairing the seawall at the off-load site; repairing the driveway at the Coast Guard Auxiliary, and repairing and cleaning up Calienta Street, which was partially closed during the operation.

A survey showing that the channel was dredged according to contract specifications, along with clearance from the DEP, must also be received to close out the project.

The contractor will also "repair, settle or file insurance claims for resolving concerns from property owners,'' Goebel wrote.

A number of property owners have reported damage to their docks and seawalls because of the dredge operation, and some in recent days have reported that their issues are still unresolved. The county is keeping a list of those individuals and is checking back to make sure that their concerns are answered, Goebel said.

Plus, the county is forcing BCPeabody to make sure its insurance company is responsive to residents with complaints, said Russell Wetherington, chief procurement officer for the county.

The county will hold the company's remaining payment until that happens.

"We want to make sure that they're diligent about this,'' Wetherington said.

BCPeabody's contract for the work was $8.7 million. The overall cost of the dredge is projected to end up between $15.1 million and $16 million.

Barbara Behrendt can be reached at behrendt@tampabay.com or (352) 848-1434.

County disagrees with contractor, says Hernando Beach Channel dredge isn't done 02/09/12 [Last modified: Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:07pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Who is Alejandro Villanueva, the Steelers player and veteran who stood alone? Here's why he has the NFL's top-selling jersey today

    Bucs

    CHICAGO — When the national anthem started at Soldier Field on Sunday, the visiting sideline was mostly empty. The most prominent evidence of the Pittsburgh Steelers was offensive lineman Alejandro Villanueva, a former Army Ranger, standing all by himself near the tunnel, holding his right hand over his heart.

    Alejandro Villanueva stands alone during the national anthem at Soldier Field in Chicago. [Associated Press]
  2. 'Battle of the Sexes' is a fine time capsule comedy, and not really about the tennis

    Movies

    In 1973, tennis champion Billie Jean King joined a two-ring circus with hustler Bobby Riggs, billed as a Battle of the Sexes amid the women's liberation movement. Fifty million Americans watched the pop spectacle on TV.

    Emma Stone and Steve Carell in the film "Battle of the Sexes." [Fox Searchlight Pictures.]
  3. Hillsborough will not add extra days for storm

    Blogs

    Public school students in Hillsborough County do not have to come to school for additional days to make up for time missed in Hurricane Irma, the district announced Monday.

  4. Tom Cruise's son Connor Cruise to DJ Halloween party at Tampa's Hard Rock Cafe

    Blogs

    Whenever Tom Cruise comes to Clearwater on Church of Scientology business, he keeps a low profile. Occasionally he'll Connor Cruise attended Wild 94.1 Wild Splash in 2016.

  5. Bicyclist struck in St. Petersburg dies as result of injuries

    Accidents

    ST. PETERSBURG — A bicyclist who police said ran a red light and was struck by a car last week died over the weekend.