Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Downtown Temple Terrace developer, city agree not to sue during talks

An artist’s rendering shows the vision for the $160 million Downtown Temple Terrace.

Vlass Temple Terrace

An artist’s rendering shows the vision for the $160 million Downtown Temple Terrace.

TEMPLE TERRACE — City attorney Mark Connolly said it may take several meetings between city representatives and the developer to come to a resolution over Downtown Temple Terrace, presumably on how the partners can end their business arrangement without a court fight.

Vlass Temple Terrace and the city agreed in a first meeting held two weeks ago to keep negotiations confidential. At Connolly's request, the City Council this week voted to approve an agreement with Vlass that neither side will sue the other while negotiations are under way.

That will allow the two sides time to work out differences, Connolly said in an interview. They most likely are discussing how to amicably end their relationship, since that was the developer's stated wish in a March letter by the company's attorney, David Smith, requesting a meeting.

It's possible, however, that the two sides will at least address the chances of continuing their work together on the $160 million complex that would include offices, retail, residential units and performing arts facility, which would create the downtown that the city has never had.

Connolly said he wouldn't be "talking out of school'' to say that the council would like to work out differences with Vlass and get the project back on track. Connolly, City Manager Gerald Seeber and Mayor Frank Chillura make up the city's team in negotiations with Smith and Vlass representatives.

Meanwhile, Connolly said, the city has not started looking for another developer. "We're not talking to anybody.''

The city and Vlass signed a contract in 2009 to build the project on the east side of 56th Street, from Bullard Parkway to the Hillsborough River. It's a crucial part of the city's effort to enliven its image and attract businesses and home buyers, not to mention a badly-needed new source of tax revenue.

The city gave the 30 acres to Vlass with the understanding that the developer would build the project according to the city's master plan. But the relationship has been marked by disagreement and bickering. In a major dispute, the developer contends that a component of the city's vision — to have retail stores all along the first floor of the residence buildings — is not economically viable.

At the crux of the negotiations is the provision of the contract stating that the city will get back its land after reimbursing Vlass for the money it has so far spent on the project, said to be in the millions.

Downtown Temple Terrace developer, city agree not to sue during talks 06/20/13 [Last modified: Wednesday, June 19, 2013 12:45pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Trump plans to release JFK assassination documents

    Nation

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump announced Saturday morning that he planned to release the tens of thousands of never-before-seen documents left in the files related to President John F. Kennedy's assassination held by the National Archives and Records Administration.

    FILE - In this Nov. 22, 1963 file photo, President John F. Kennedy waves from his car in a motorcade in Dallas. Riding with Kennedy are First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy, right, Nellie Connally, second from left, and her husband, Texas Gov. John Connally, far left.  President Donald Trump, on Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017,  says he plans to release thousands of never-seen government documents related to President John F. Kennedy's assassination.  (AP Photo/Jim Altgens, File) NY107
  2. Water leak slows traffic in Westshore area

    Public Safety

    TAMPA –– A broken water main has closed the westbound lane of West Cypress Street between North Westshore Boulevard and North Ward Street. The city estimates the repairs will be completed by 7 a.m. on Sunday.

  3. Fox renewed O'Reilly contract despite knowing of allegations

    Nation

    NEW YORK (AP) — The Fox News Channel says the company knew a news analyst planned to file a sexual harassment lawsuit against Bill O'Reilly when it renewed the popular personality's contract in February.

    Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly appears on the Fox News show, "The O'Reilly Factor," in New York. O'Reilly has lost his job at Fox News Channel in April following reports that several women had been paid millions of dollars to keep quiet about harassment allegations. [Associated Press file]
  4. Conviction overturned 30 years later in neo-Nazi murder case

    Criminal

    TAMPA — A judge on Friday overturned the murder conviction of Dean McKee now that new evidence has raised doubt about McKee's guilt in a Tampa slaying that occurred nearly three decades ago when he was 16.

    In 1987, a St. Petersburg Times reporter interviewed Dean McKee for a story about young skinheads in Tampa. [Times | 1987]
  5. Experts have some theories on who's carrying out Seminole Heights killings

    Crime

    The words serial killer tend to conjure an image of a middle-aged white man, likely a loner. He stabs or chokes or strangles, murdering up close for the thrill, straight out of central casting.

    A memorial was set up where Anthony Naiboa, 20, was found shot to death in Seminole Heights. Some experts who have reviewed information in the case say that whoever is behind the three Seminole Heights killings may live in the area. [JONATHAN CAPRIEL  |  Times]