Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Engineer pulls out of Port Richey dredging project

PORT RICHEY — The city's long-suffering dredging project cleared a crucial hurdle — and then stumbled.

The state Department of Environmental Protection sent a letter Friday saying it was finally accepting the city's permit application to dredge 25 muck-filled canals.

After years of stalled progress and thousands of dollars spent on studies, officials were hopeful that the city would get the dredging permit in the next 90 days — with the help of a new engineering firm, PBS&J.

But during a conference call Monday, PBS&J terminated its contract with the city.

The firm's project director, Jeffrey R. Tabar, "cited their current workload and cited that Phase 1 of the 25 channels was essentially complete," City Manager Richard Reade said.

Reade said his conversation with Tabar was short: "You kind of know when you're being broken up with."

With the possibility of a permit finally within reach, some dredging advocates wonder where the departure of PBS&J leaves the project. The city still needs an engineering firm to answer any questions DEP might have about the permit application.

"I am disappointed, because they seemed to present themselves well," said Mike Latini, a member of the city's Port Authority Board. "They seemed to come off as if they could get the job done by taking that position. I was excited and hopeful."

Tabar did not return a call Tuesday for comment.

Tabar's firm took the reins of the dredging project in February from the LPA Group.

After spending $464,000 over the past two years and not receiving a single permit, city officials hoped PBS&J could spur the project along. The LPA Group helped the city obtain the application completion letter for the first 25 canals while city officials negotiated with PBS&J to handle the rest of the project.

But Reade said Tabar also cited the additional information required by DEP, and said he wasn't sure the city could obtain the two remaining permits for the four other canals.

Reade said it will be the City Council's job to pick a new consultant. He said they could choose Banks Engineering or Taylor Engineering, the other two firms recommended to the council after the LPA Group was removed.

Or the council could search for a new firm, Reade said.

Council member Phil Abts, who was part of the Monday conference call with Reade and Tabar, said PBS&J's decision came at a good time.

"I am glad they did this prior to taking the project on and not in the middle of it," he said. "If we were in the middle and they backed out, we would really be stuck. We've got 90 days to find a new consultant. This isn't a setback."

Camille C. Spencer can be reached at cspencer@sptimes.com or (727) 869-6229.

Engineer pulls out of Port Richey dredging project 04/29/08 [Last modified: Monday, May 5, 2008 2:12pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. O.J. Simpson had a 'conflict-free life'? Not really, not in Florida

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — When O.J. Simpson told a Nevada parole board last week that he's led a "conflict-free life," he seemed to overlook a few episodes that had him cycling in and out of courtrooms and jail cells for nearly 20 years before the Las Vegas hotel-room heist that sent him to prison in 2008.

    Former NFL football star O.J. Simpson appears via video for his parole hearing at the Lovelock Correctional Center in Lovelock, Nev., on Thursday, July 20, 2017.  Simpson was granted parole Thursday after more than eight years in prison for a Las Vegas hotel heist, successfully making his case in a nationally televised hearing that reflected America's enduring fascination with the former football star.  [The Reno Gazette-Journal via AP]
  2. Baby Charlie protesters to rally as hospital reports threats

    World

    LONDON — Protesters who want critically ill British baby Charlie Gard to receive an experimental medical treatment are planning a rally and prayer vigil Sunday, while hospital officials say emotions are running so high in the heart-breaking case they have received death threats.

    Reverend Patrick Mahoney from Washington DC, centre, speaks to the media outside the Royal Courts of Justice in London, as he joins other Charlie Gard supporters, Sunday July 23, 2017. Protesters who want critically ill British baby Charlie Gard to receive an experimental medical treatment gathered for a rally and prayer vigil Sunday, while hospital officials say emotions are running so high in the heart-breaking case they have received death threats. [Associated Press]
  3. Pinellas licensing board asks Sen. Jack Latvala for $500,000 loan

    Local Government

    The troubled Pinellas County agency that regulates contractors wants Sen. Jack Latvala to help it get a $500,000 lifeline from the state to stay afloat.

    State Sen . Jack Latvala, R- Clearwater, is being asked to help the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board get $500,000 from the state so it can stay open beyond February.  [SCOTT KEELER   |   Times]
  4. FHP: 55-year-old pedestrian struck, killed by car in Largo

    Accidents

    LARGO — A 55-year-old St. Petersburg man died late Saturday after he walked into the path of a car on Ulmerton Road, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

  5. Study offers warning for Florida strawberry farmers from global warming

    Agriculture

    LAKELAND — Florida strawberry growers already have experienced a dress rehearsal for the impacts of climate change during the past two seasons.

     Carl Grooms shows off some of his strawberries at Fancy Farms near Plant City Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2015.  Grooms, President of Fancy Farms. [JAMES BORCHUCK  |  Times]