Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Foreclosures 'overwhelmed' Hernando clerk's office before logjam broke

BROOKSVILLE — When Don Barbee took the reins last year as Hernando County clerk of the court, he inherited a huge problem. Not only were foreclosure filings continuing at a high level, there was the dilemma of what to do about cases that had languished far longer than normal in the courts.

The foreclosure logjam dated back several years, but by January 2013 it had reached critical mass, with nearly 3,500 cases on the books and only two judges hearing them. At the same time, Barbee's office was dealing with deep budget cuts that gripped every county government agency.

"When I started, there were stacks of paperwork everywhere, and many cases seemed to be caught in limbo," Barbee recalled.

"We were simply overwhelmed, and it just kept snowballing from there."

In fact, what was occurring in Barbee's office was happening in nearly every part of the state, as a flood of mortgage defaults during the prolonged recession hit the courts. Many foreclosures got bogged down by what became known as the "robo-signing scandal" by lenders, which caused lengthy delays while the courts sorted things out.

From 2008 through 2012, while most of the state was still waiting for the recession to bottom out, courts got more and more buried by delays.

In 2009 alone, Florida foreclosures topped 516,000, with 3,322 of those cases filed in Hernando.

Before the housing market bust, a typical foreclosure case could sail through the court system in as little as six months. In 2011, the wait was often three times that long, according to the real estate research company RealtyTrac.

Starting in 2012, the Legislature infused Florida's 20 judicial districts with about $9.6 million to help clear the backlog. That effort, plus new state guidelines that call for hastening the pace at which cases are handled, has helped to drastically change the tide in Hernando.

Barbee said that his office received about $60,000 in extra funding for staffing. Meanwhile, the courts added three part-time senior judges whose only duties are to administer foreclosures.

As of July 1 of this year, there were 1,778 open cases, about half the number that were active when he took office; 660 of those had been filed during the past 12 months.

"It took some time, but we were finally able to clear out old cases that were three, four and five years old, which allowed us to concentrate more on newer cases," Barbee said.

He hopes the implementation this fall of a paperless case-maintenance system will further streamline the handling of new cases.

While Florida still leads the nation in foreclosures, with almost 270,000 filings last year, the number of new cases continues to shrink as the economy improves.

In the meantime, Hernando County Association of Realtors president Ana Trinque said the success of the backlog initiative has helped the real estate market rebound from years of downturn. And although some predicted that the sudden freeing up of properties mired in foreclosure would create a market glut, Trinque said she hasn't seen that.

"I think our market is in position to handle some added properties if they are the kinds of homes that people are looking for," she said. "We're pretty much caught up right now. Our inventory is shrinking. I think everyone is hopeful that will continue."

Contact Logan Neill at lneill@tampabay.com or (352) 848-1435.

>>fast facts

Tracking a trend

Total foreclosures filed by year in Hernando County

YearCases
20083,256
20093,322
20102,186
20111,319
20122,207
20131,369

Open foreclosure cases as of

July 1, 2012: 3,490

Open foreclosure cases as of

July 1, 2014: 1,778

Foreclosure cases open longer than three years (as of

July 1, 2014): 128

Foreclosures 'overwhelmed' Hernando clerk's office before logjam broke 07/31/14 [Last modified: Thursday, July 31, 2014 9:02am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. NFL commissioner calls Trump remarks on national anthem 'divisive'

    Bucs

    HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — The commissioner of the National Football League says President Donald Trump's comments about players who kneel during the national anthem are "divisive" and show an "unfortunate …

    President Donald Trump walks off the stage after he speaks at campaign rally in support of Sen. Luther Strange, Friday, Sept. 22, 2017, in Huntsville, Ala. [Associated Press]
  2. Forecast: Tampa Bay's first fall weekend brings scattered showers

    Weather

    It may officially be fall, but Tampa Bay won't have any cooler temperatures this weekend.

    Tampa Bay's 7 day forecast. [WTSP]
  3. Romano: The choice does not have to be poverty or gentrification

    Local Government

    The memories must be protected. The music and the lore, too.

    The owner of Sylvia's Queen of Soul Food is refusing to give the city information on the restaurant's sales as required by his contract to occupy the city-owned Manhattan Casino. The information is needed to calculate whether the nonprofit Urban Development Solutions, headed by Larry Newsome, owes the city more than the $3,000 monthly base rent.
  4. Tests show North Korea earthquake not caused by nuclear test

    World

    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korea's weather agency said a magnitude 3.2 earthquake was detected in North Korea on Saturday close to where the country recently conducted a nuclear test, but it assessed the quake as natural.

    People watch a TV news program reporting North Korea's earthquake, at Seoul Railway Station in Seoul, South Korea, Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017. South Korea's weather agency said an earthquake was detected in North Korea on Saturday around where the country recently conducted a nuclear test, but it assessed the quake as natural. The signs read " The weather agency said a magnitude 3.0 earthquake was detected in North Korea." [Associated Press]
  5. New earthquake, magnitude 6.1, shakes jittery Mexico

    World

    MEXICO CITY — A strong new earthquake shook Mexico on Saturday, causing new alarm in a country reeling from two still-more-powerful quakes this month that have killed nearly 400 people.

    Locals play pool at a venue in Mexico City's La Condesa neighborhood, Friday, Sept. 22, 2017, four days after the 7.1 earthquake. The upscale Mexico City neighborhood was one of the hardest hit, with more than a half-dozen collapsed buildings in the immediate vicinity. The few Condesa residents who ventured out Friday night said they were anxious for relief from an anguishing week. [Associated Press]