Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Hernando County Commission to consider lowering impact fees again

BROOKSVILLE — Though the number of single-family home permits has slid since the county slashed impact fees in 2009, county commissioners said this week that now is not the time to raise them again.

In fact, they said, it might be time to lower them further — or even eliminate them.

The commission will discuss the issue during a workshop at 9 a.m. Tuesday in the commission chambers of the Hernando County Government Center.

Impact fees are the one-time levy on new construction to help offset some of the costs of expanding infrastructure — such as roads, libraries and parks — to keep up with growth. In 2009, with the building industry in crisis, the commission voted to roll the rates back to 2001 levels for residential and commercial construction, in hopes of giving builders a boost.

That decreased the fee for a single-family home, for example, from approximately $9,200 to $4,900.

The action was only for a year, but last year the commission agreed to a second year of lower fees. Now those are due to expire at the end of November.

Single-family home permit numbers have actually declined since the reduction. During the peak of the building boom in 2005, there were 4,185 single-family home permits pulled in the county. By 2009, when the commission acted to lower fees, there were just 149 permits.

Measuring just from January to September in 2010, that number was 134. From January though September 2011, it was 89.

"Whether they're helping or not, we can't go back,'' said Commissioner Jeff Stabins during a discussion of the issue at Tuesday's commission meeting. "Economic activity is so stagnant, we've got to extend (the reductions), I think.''

Commission Dave Russell agreed, noting that builders are struggling enough already and raising impact fees would only compound the problem.

"We're facing an extraordinary set of circumstances,'' Russell said, noting that with the down economy and issues with sinkholes, "all these things are coming together.'' And in some cases, he said, it's driving people out of the county.

Besides, "it's not like we're giving a heck of a lot (of revenue) away, folks,'' Russell said.

With the decline in construction, the annual collection of impact fee dollars has declined dramatically.

Measuring just from December through September, in 2008-09, the county collected $3.45 million in fees. The next year, that dropped to $896,000 for the same time frame. In 2010-11, the figure was $654,000.

Commission Chairman Jim Adkins said he could live with even lower impact fees — or none at all — in the current environment.

Stabins said he wanted to know details about what other counties are doing and how many had no impact fees at all.

Several builders urged commissioners to keep the lower fees, saying they have helped.

Mark Alexander of Alexander Custom Homes said the his company has two jobs currently and that "the impact fee reduction was instrumental'' in landing that work.

Building homes has a wide-reaching impact because the work produces other revenue, from sales tax to payroll taxes, said Bob Eaton of Artistic Homes.

"The bigger picture is that we need to stimulate the economy,'' said Barry Burich of Dream Custom Homes.

New homes in a neighborhood help to raise the value of existing homes, said Matt Burich of the same company.

"We need to have some dirt moving and some hammers flying,'' he said.

Several residents spoke out against the lower fees, asking whether taxpayers would now be forced to pay for the consequences of growth.

Anthony Palmieri wanted to know how the commissioners would pay for future infrastructure if not through impact fees.

"How much have we lost?'' he asked.

Barbara Behrendt can be reached at behrendt@sptimes.com or (352) 848-1434.

Hernando County Commission to consider lowering impact fees again 10/28/11 [Last modified: Friday, October 28, 2011 6:39pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Water Hogs: During drought, hundreds of Tampa Bay homes guzzled a gallon of water a minute

    Drought

    When Amalie Oil president Harry Barkett plunked down $6.75-million for his Bayshore Boulevard mansion, he picked up 12.5 bathrooms, a pool, a hot tub, an elevator and a deck bigger than some one-bedroom apartments.

    During one of the worst droughts in the Tampa Bay region's history, hundreds of houses used more than a gallon of water a minute. ALESSANDRA DA PRA  |   Times

  2. PolitiFact Florida checks out Rick Baker's talking point about the growth of St. Petersburg's A-rated schools

    Elections

    Rick Baker has used mailers, forums and social media to relay one big message in his campaign for St. Petersburg mayor: Schools in St. Petersburg saw drastic improvements when he was mayor from 2001 to 2010.

    Rick Baker, candidate for St. Petersburg mayor
  3. Lady Antebellum's Charles Kelly talks family, songwriting and more before Tampa show

    Music & Concerts

    A while back at the Grammys, Charles Kelley found himself in the same room as Paul McCartney. The Lady Antebellum singer, a seven-time Grammy winner in his own right, couldn't work up the courage to say hello.

    Lady Antebellum perform at Tampa's MidFlorida Credit Union Amphitheatre on Friday. Credit: Eric Ray Davidson
  4. Clearwater suspect due in court after 9 die in sweltering San Antonio truck

    Nation

    SAN ANTONIO — Nine people are dead and the death toll could rise after emergency crews pulled dozens of people from a sweltering tractor-trailer found parked outside a Walmart in the midsummer Texas heat, victims of what officials said was an immigrant-smuggling attempt gone wrong.

    San Antonio police officers investigate the scene where eight people were found dead in a tractor-trailer loaded with at least 30 others outside a Walmart store in stifling summer heat in what police are calling a horrific human trafficking case, Sunday, July 23, 2017, in San Antonio. [Associated Press]
  5. Email warning ignored before St. Pete started spewing sewage

    Water

    ST. PETERSBURG — A draft report lays blame for the city's sewage crisis squarely on the administration of Mayor Rick Kriseman and a cascading series of errors that started with the now infamous shuttering of the Albert Whitted Water Reclamation Facility in 2015.

    Signs at North Shore Park in St. Petersburg warn people in September 2016 to stay out of the water due to contamination from partially treated sewage from the city's overwhelmed sewer system. St. Petersburg dumped up to 200 million gallons of sewage over 13 months from 2015-16. A new state report blames much of the crisis on mistakes made by the administration of Mayor Rick Kriseman, but also critcizes past administrations. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]