Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Hernando County Sheriff Nugent returns $2M in unspent funds to county

BROOKSVILLE — 'Tis the season for giving — and returning.

In that spirit, Sheriff Richard Nugent is giving back to Hernando County government $2 million in unspent funds from his 2008-09 budget.

That's about $540,000 more than Nugent had projected to return and the most he has sent back in at least four years.

The department wound up spending less than expected for salaries, benefits, overtime and fuel said Chief Bill Kicklighter. The sheriff also meant to be conservative in his estimate to the County Commission on how much would money would come back, he said.

"The last thing we wanted to do was give them a number and then have less to give them," Kicklighter said.

The department benefitted from a year without a major storm or hikes in gas prices, he said.

"That was the big key," he said. "As you're approaching the end of the budget year, you're still in the heart of hurricane season, so we were very fortunate."

The larger figure means the sheriff's actual expenses for the year came in at $30.6 million — 3.1 percent less than 2007-2008. It's the first time since at least 2005 the department has spent less than the previous year.

The money goes back into the county's general fund.

If the $2 million figure seems familiar, it's because that happens to be the same amount that County Administrator David Hamilton asked Nugent to cut from his 2009-10 budget request of $33 million. When factoring in the addition of the Emergency Management Department last year, Nugent's request amounted to a zero percent increase from the previous year.

So Nugent balked, saying Hamilton's requested cut would be too deep.

The sheriff proposed to use $1.3 million in his carry-forward money — making for a $700,000 cut — which would have been able to fund the DARE drug prevention program and at least some of the community substations.

After much back and forth between the commission and the sheriff, commissioners ultimately settled for a compromise budget of $31.9 million for next year. That was a little over $1 million less than what Nugent requested and $350,000 more than what he expected to spend this year but not enough to pay for the DARE program, five community substations and several other programs and positions.

When asked if Nugent was tempted to ask the commission if he could keep at least some of the extra $540,000 to put toward some of the cut programs, Kicklighter said no.

"He stood before the board and the public and agreed to make the cuts, so he wasn't going to go back on his word," he said.

Commissioner Jeff Stabins, whose criticism of Nugent's budget request made for some tense exchanges between the two men last September, said he was happy about the additional money coming back from Nugent this year and especially pleased that the department's expenditures decreased from last year.

"That is excellent news, but it's a trend that must continue," Stabins said.

Nugent deserves credit even without a storm or spiking gas prices, Chairman Dave Russell said.

"That just goes to show you that the sheriff's done a great job at budgeting and demonstrating quite a bit of fiscal restraint," he said. "Controlling overtime is a significant accomplishment. That's tough in departments with emergency response."

Constitutional officers typically give back at least some money at the end of the year. This year, for example, the tax collector will give back $2.4 million; the property appraiser, about $315,000; the clerk of court, about $301,000; and the supervisor of elections, about $7,500.

Tony Marrero can be reached at tmarrero@sptimes.com or (352) 848-1431.

Hernando County Sheriff Nugent returns $2M in unspent funds to county 12/03/09 [Last modified: Friday, December 4, 2009 6:40am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Rubio: I intend to keep campaign promises on Obamacare

    Blogs

    WASHINGTON - Sen. Marco Rubio says he remains committed to overturning Obamacare following the collapse of the latest attempt.

  2. Family spokeswoman: British baby Charlie Gard has died

    World

    LONDON — Charlie Gard, the critically ill British baby at the center of a legal battle that attracted the attention of Pope Francis and U.S. President Donald Trump, has died. He would have turned 1 next week.

    This is an undated photo of sick baby Charlie Gard provided by his family, taken at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London. [Family of Charlie Gard via AP]
  3. Editorial: Here's one way Florida courts can measure a quality education

    Editorials

    The question before the 1st District Court of Appeal in Tallahassee is whether Florida is following its constitutional duty to provide a high-quality education to public school students. The point was originally raised in a lawsuit brought by advocacy and parents groups and dismissed by a circuit judge in 2016. When it …

    The question before the 1st District Court of Appeal in Tallahassee is whether Florida is following its constitutional duty to provide a high-quality education to public school students.
  4. Paul Shanley, ex-priest in Boston sex abuse scandal, released from prison

    Nation

    BOSTON — A notorious figure in Boston's Roman Catholic priest sex abuse scandal was quietly released from prison Friday morning after completing a 12-year sentence for the rape of a boy in the 1980s.

    This undated identification photo released via the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Sex Offender Registry Board website shows Paul Shanley, released Friday from the Old Colony Correctional Center in Bridgewater, Mass. Shanley, now 86, was a figure in the Boston Roman Catholic priest sex abuse scandal. He was released after completing a 12-year sentence for the rape of a boy in the 1980s. [Massachusetts Sex Offender Registry Board via AP]
  5. Times recommends: Justin Bean for St. Petersburg City Council

    Editorials

    Eight candidates are running for St. Petersburg City Council in District 6, a diverse collection of neighborhoods that includes portions of the Old Northeast, downtown, the Old Southeast and Midtown. Any of them will have a tough time becoming as effective as Karl Nurse, who is term-limited and has a strong record on …

    The St. Petersburg City Council District 6 candidate with the best potential for growing into the job is Justin Bean, an up-and-coming young business leader who has been active on civic issues.