Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Hillsborough commissioners nix gun buyback, create anti-violence task force

TAMPA — Hillsborough County Commissioners voted against creating a gun buyback program Wednesday, but will form an anti-gun violence task force in response to the elementary school shooting last month in Newtown, Conn.

The buyback proposal from Commissioner Kevin Beckner was clearly headed to defeat once fellow board member Les Miller spoke. He recounted the 1997 shooting of his son while he was a college student in Tallahassee and said he doubted a gun buyback would have done anything to prevent it.

"I don't think the gun buyback will take guns off the street," Miller said.

Other commissioners suggested such a move would have more symbolic than actual value. Others said it would best be handled by law enforcement, and indeed the Sheriff's Office has a buyback scheduled for next month.

Commissioners left open the possibility that the task force approved Wednesday could see fit to recommend a more formal annual gun buyback program, instead of periodic events by law enforcement.

The task force will consist of law enforcement personnel, mental health and medical workers and representatives of community groups concerned about public safety.

It will be asked to produce suggestions for stemming all forms of gun violence, not just mass shootings. Several commissioners said particular attention should be given to mental health care.

"I don't come today to promote anti-gun legislation," Beckner said. "My intent ... is to focus on gun violence as a public health and safety crisis."

Hillsborough commissioners nix gun buyback, create anti-violence task force 01/09/13 [Last modified: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:39pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Philippines forces make gains in city under siege by ISIS-linked militants

    MARAWI, Philippines — Philippine forces say they now control most of a southern city where militants linked to the Islamic State group launched a bloody siege nearly a week ago.

  2. Rays exhausted but happy after 15-inning win over Twins (w/video)

    The Heater

    MINNEAPOLIS — Before the Rays eventually won Sunday's 6½-hour, 15-inning marathon against the Twins 8-6, they did plenty to lose it. And we need to get that out of the way first.

    The Rays’ Evan Longoria enjoys a laugh after scoring, barely, to tie it in the ninth on Steven Souza Jr.’s two-out single.
  3. Tom Jones' Two Cents: ABC's Indy 500 coverage is stellar again

    TV and Radio

    Times columnist Tom Jones looks back at the best and worst from a weekend of televised sports.

    Best coverage

    Takuma Sato left, celebrates after winning the Indianapolis 500 as Helio Castroneves is a little late passing him. ABC’s coverage of the race is stellar throughout, with plenty of extras but no fake drama.
  4. Takuma Sato surprise winner of wreck-filled Indy 500

    Auto racing

    INDIANAPOLIS — Takuma Sato, a journeyman driver, became the first Japanese winner of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday when he held off three-time champion Helio Castroneves in a 230-mph wheel-rubbing duel to the finish.

    Scott Dixon’s car goes over the top of Jay Howard, soaring so high that Helio Castroneves drove under it while it was airborne. Stunningly, there were no serious injuries.
  5. South Korea military: North Korea fires unidentified projectile

    World

    SEOUL — North Korea launched a ballistic missile early today that flew 280 miles and landed in Japan's exclusive economic zone, the South Korean military and the Japanese government said.

    S. Korean President Moon Jae-in is assessing the launch.