Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Ken Welch bows out of bid to lead Juvenile Welfare Board

Pinellas Commissioner Ken Welch launched the bid amid uncertainty over a term limits lawsuit.

Pinellas Commissioner Ken Welch launched the bid amid uncertainty over a term limits lawsuit.

Pinellas County Commissioner Ken Welch took himself out of the running to be the next executive director of the Juvenile Welfare Board on Tuesday, saying he was sparing the agency a political fight with Tallahassee.

Welch, who has served on the commission for 12 years, applied for the job earlier this month, propelled by uncertainty surrounding the outcome of a term limits lawsuit against him and three other commissioners. Knowing that the lawsuit could force him out of office, Welch decided to try for a new job and an early exit in January 2014.

It was a bold move for a politician who shuns risk, and it did not go as planned.

On Tuesday, Welch sent the board a statement saying he was withdrawing his application.

"It has become obvious that, in the minds of some, my political persona overshadows all other aspects of my business, managerial and professional experience," he wrote, singling out an editorial that ran in the Tampa Bay Times. The editorial questioned whether the board would be swayed by Welch's prominence and hand him the job without seriously considering other applicants.

In an interview on Tuesday, Welch said he had received calls from Tallahassee objecting to him making a bid for the job. Claiming he did not want to "fan the flames," he refused to say whether the political pressure came from state elected officials, the governor or both.

These "party loyalists," as he called his opponents, did not like the idea of a high-profile Democrat leading the agency, he said, adding that some Republicans believe he played a back-room role in getting two Democrats elected to the commission in November and resent him for it.

"We haven't weighed in on this appointment," said Jackie Schutz, a spokeswoman for Gov. Rick Scott. "We haven't told anyone to withdraw their name or application."

Opposition to Welch taking the JWB post materialized before he even submitted his resume and cover letter to the search committee. Hearing that Welch might apply, state Sen. Jack Latvala, a Republican, said he called several JWB board members to warn them it was a bad idea. Last Friday, he said, he talked directly to Welch to make his opinion clear.

"I think Ken Welch is a very competent public official," Latvala said. "I just told him I thought there were some unfortunate consequences if he were to get that job."

As Latvala sees it, if Welch, the county's most prominent Democrat, were given the job and granted the delayed start date he requested, it would thrust a nonpartisan agency focused on improving the lives of poor children and families into the political fray. The fact that Welch plans to run for mayor of St. Petersburg in 2017 only made the political tension worse, Lat­vala said. "I thought this appointment and the fact that he could be running for office could potentially hurt JWB," he said.

Though Welch's appointment was not a foregone conclusion, he was among 11 semifinalists the board had selected to begin interviewing for the job. But by last weekend, some board members said they began to hear that he might bow out, said Dr. Jim Sewell, who is leading the search committee.

"I think all of us were a little bit concerned about this," he said.

Other board members were surprised.

"I'll never understand the political thing," said Ray Neri, president of the Lealman Community Association and a JWB board member. "I just thought: Here's a quality guy who's on the market, and why else not be able to give him a shot as well as everybody else?"

Times staff writer Steve Bousquet contributed to this report. Anna M. Phillips can be reached at aphillips@tampabay.com or (727) 893-8779.

Ken Welch bows out of bid to lead Juvenile Welfare Board 02/19/13 [Last modified: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:45pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Six new restaurants opening this summer: Burgerim, Rocco's Tacos, American Social

    Food & Dining

    OPENING SOON

    Feeling a little peckish? You're in luck, with a big raft of new restaurants poised to launch, including three at International Plaza.

    BURGERIM

    In the fast-casual arena, Burgerim is opening in late July at 800 N Franklin St. in Tampa. The concept is mini burgers, so you won’t be eating just one.
  2. Hernando County Commission rejects plan for waste-to-energy plant

    Local Government

    BROOKSVILLE — After several years of discussion, many hours of staff time trying to negotiate a contract and questions about viability, the Hernando County Commission this week voted unanimously to turn down a contract with Freedom Energy Hernando LLC and abandoned the idea of having the county spearhead a …

     Commissioner John Allocco made the motion to deny the contract to Freedom Energy.
  3. Lack of parking for boat trailers causing turmoil along Port Richey waterfront

    Local Government

    PORT RICHEY — As Memorial Day and the summer boating season approach, the city of Port Richey finds itself in turmoil over parking along the city's waterfront.

    Gill Dawg restaurant owner Erik Suojanen, standing on property he owns across from his business, discusses a notice of violation he received from the city for allowing parking there without a submitting a site plan to the city.
 [Photo by Robert Napper]
  4. Tampa court hearing rescheduled for accused neo-Nazi jihadist killer

    Criminal

    TAMPA — Attorneys for Devon Arthurs, the alleged former neo-Nazi turned jihadist accused of shooting to death his two roommates, have asked to reschedule a court hearing that had been set for Wednesday morning.

  5. Parent of struggling DeVry University is changing its name to Adtalem

    Corporate

    Associated Press

    DOWNERS GROVE, Ill. — The company that owns one of the nation's largest for-profit college chains is changing its name.

    This 2009 photo shows the entrance to the DeVry University in Miramar, Fla. DeVry Education Group, which owns DeVry University, announced Wednesday that it will now be called Adtalem Global Education. 
[Associated Press file photo]