Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Largo commissioners will talk about how to cut almost $3 million from city budget

LARGO — The city has eliminated more than 70 full-time equivalent positions since 2008, as management has tried to trim the budget during an economic downturn without severely limiting services.

They might not be done cutting jobs yet.

City management is meeting this week to discuss ways to cut another $2.8 million from Largo's general fund budget for fiscal 2013, which starts in October.

The staff presented one option to the City Commission last week: A proposal to outsource more grounds maintenance, saving $126,600 but laying off five full-time employees in the process. Seven positions would actually be eliminated, but two of them are already vacant.

Commissioners want more information before making a decision next month. It will be one of several tough choices they'll have over the next few months as the city tries to cut its budget for the sixth straight year.

"The cuts are getting harder and harder," said finance director Kim Adams, one of the staffers involved in this week's budget discussions. The staff expects to present a list of potential cuts to the City Commission at its May 15 meeting.

Commissioners will probably get to decide on the groundskeeping cuts before then, though. Amy Davis, the city's Office of Management and Budget manager, expects to bring more information on the potential outsourcing to the commission at its May 1 meeting.

Buccaneer Landscape Management of Pinellas Park says it can save Largo $126,600 on mowing, edging, weeding and other maintenance on medians, small neighborhood parks and some other city properties. Buccaneer already maintains some medians and parks for Largo as part of a $96,600 annual contract. A new contract would include all city properties except for Largo Central Park and the city's athletic fields.

Davis presented the plan to the commission at last week's work session. Commissioners asked to see more specifics, like a list of city properties Buccaneer already maintains, before making a final decision.

Opinions on the plan are mixed.

Commissioners Harriet Crozier and Gigi Arntzen said they would vote against it, and Robert Murray also expressed reservations.

"I'm not sure it's worth losing the five positions," Murray said.

Commissioner Curtis Holmes expressed tentative approval, pending more information. Mayor Pat Gerard said she had hoped the savings would be more. She hasn't made up her mind yet.

"It's not that easy to find $130,000 anymore," she said.

One of the reasons savings aren't as easy to find anymore: The city's fund balance, which is money carried over in case of an emergency, is at its lowest point in several years.

The balance has dropped from nearly 20 percent of the general fund budget a few years ago to 10 percent last year, or about $3.5 million, said finance director Adams.

The fund balance is often called a "rainy day fund."

"Well, it's been raining the last few years," Adams said.

Will Hobson can be reached at (727) 445-4167 or [email protected] To write a letter to the editor, go to tampabay.com/letters.

Largo commissioners will talk about how to cut almost $3 million from city budget 04/17/12 [Last modified: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:04pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Dirk Koetter to Bucs: Take your complaints to someone who can help

    Bucs

    TAMPA — It was just another day of aching bellies at One Save Face.

    Dirk Koetter: “All of our issues are self-inflicted right now.”
  2. Seminole Heights murders: fear and warnings, but no answers

    Crime

    TAMPA — Interim Tampa police Chief Brian Dugan elicited loud gasps from the crowd of about 400 who showed up at Edison Elementary School on Monday night to learn more about the string of unsolved killings that have left the southeast Seminole Heights neighborhood gripped by fear.

    Kimberly Overman, left, comforts Angelique Dupree, center, as she spoke about the death of her nephew Benjamin Mitchell, 22, last week in Seminole Heights. The Tampa Police Department held a town hall meeting Monday night where concerned residents hoped to learn more about the investigation into the three shooting deaths over 11 days in southeast Seminole Heights. But police could give the crowd at Edison Elementary School few answers. [OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times]
  3. Juvenile justice reform seen as help for teen car theft problem

    Crime

    ST. PETERSBURG — One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations has decided to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year.

    One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations, Faith & Action for Strength Together (FAST), voted Monday night to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year. FAST believes civil citations could help Pinellas County?€™s teen car theft epidemic by keeping children out of the juvenile justice system for minor offenses. [ZACHARY T. SAMPSON  |  Times]
  4. U.S. general lays out Niger attack details; questions remain (w/video)

    War

    WASHINGTON — The U.S. Special Forces unit ambushed by Islamic militants in Niger didn't call for help until an hour into their first contact with the enemy, the top U.S. general said Monday, as he tried to clear up some of the murky details of the assault that killed four American troops and has triggered a nasty …

    Gen. Joseph Dunford said much is still unclear about the ambush.
  5. Trump awards Medal of Honor to Vietnam-era Army medic (w/video)

    Military

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Monday turned a Medal of Honor ceremony for a Vietnam-era Army medic who risked his life to help wounded comrades into a mini homework tutorial for the boy and girl who came to watch their grandfather be enshrined "into the history of our nation."

    WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 23:  Retired U.S. Army Capt. Gary Rose (L) receives a standing ovation after being awarded the Medal of Honor by U.S. President Donald Trump during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House October 23, 2017 in Washington, DC. Rose, 69, is being recognized for risking his life while serving as a medic with the 5th Special Force Group and the Military Assistance Command Studies and Observations Group during ‘Operation Tailwind’ in September 1970. Ignoring his own injuries, Rose helped treat 50 soldiers over four days when his unit joined local fighters to attack North Vietnamese forces in Laos - officially off limits for combat at the time.  (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images) 775062921