Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Last night at City Hall

Largo proposes cuts in parkland fees

City leaders want to reduce what Largo charges developers to create parkland.

At Tuesday's city meeting, Largo city commissioners recommended significantly reducing parkland fees because they were concerned high parkland fees will drive residential developers away.

"Right now, I think we can't get away with what we're charging," said Mayor Pat Gerard.

Largo has about 76,000 people. The purpose of parkland fees is to provide 7.5 acres of parkland per 1,000 people, a standard that is part of the city's comprehensive plan.

Largo currently has about 8.5 acres of parkland per 1,000 people, according to city estimates.

Parkland fees are to be used to purchase new parkland.

The city imposes a parkland dedication fee for new developments based on the purchase price of development sites. The city staff proposed basing a parkland impact fee on the actual cost of buying parkland, with developers paying a flat fee per each residential unit in their project. City commissioners want to further reduce the staff's proposed fee by a third, resulting in a fee of about $1,888 per multi-family unit. They asked the city staff to draft an ordinance to accomplish that.

The city began reviewing parkland fees after John Skicewicz of Coldwell Banker Commercial challenged the fees more than a year ago. Skicewicz, who represents a company that owns parkland near Ulmerton Road and 66th Street, met with the community development staff and filed a request for the city to amend its comprehensive plan to lower parkland and other recreation fees used to maintain facilities.

Skicewicz said a developer planned to build about 330 apartments on his client's property but backed out of the deal when the parkland fee was calculated at $2.1-million. Under the proposed fee, his client would pay about $630,000.

The city staff studied the fee structure and presented its latest findings to the City Commission Tuesday.

Skicewicz said the city's most recent calculations show Largo already has plenty of parkland and shouldn't be charging developers parkland impact fees at all.

"The city has enough parkland now at their current level of service over 92,700 people. So why charge the fee? It's killing multifamily development," Skicewicz said.

Unlike the city, he included the Largo Golf Course in his calculations.

The golf course wasn't included because it's not traditional open space and people have to pay to use the course, said Joan Byrne, recreation parks and arts director.

Clearwater, Pinellas Park and Seminole all have significantly lower parkland fees than Largo's current fees. Pinellas County and St. Petersburg don't assess the fees at all.

An ordinance will come before the City Commission after it is reviewed by the city's Planning Board.

Cities and parkland

Parkland standards in different municipalities.

Government

entity
Per 1,000

residents
Largo7.5 acres
Clearwater4 acres
Pinellas Park3 acres
Seminole1 acre
St. Petersburg9 acres
Pinellas County14 acres

City of Largo

Largo proposes cuts in parkland fees 01/13/09 [Last modified: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:55pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. James Wilder Jr. back at running back...in Canada

    Blogs

    Remember when former Plant High star and Florida State running back James Wilder Jr. announced he was switching to linebacker?

    That was short-lived, apparently.

  2. Unlicensed contractor accused of faking death triggers policy change at Pinellas construction licensing board

    Local Government

    The unlicensed contractor accused of faking his death to avoid angry homeowners has triggered an immediate change in policy at the Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board.

    Last year Glenn and Judith Holland said they paid a contractor thousands of dollars to renovate their future retirement home in Seminole. But when they tried to move in on Dec. 14, they said the home was in shambles and uninhabitable. They sent a text message to contractor Marc Anthony Perez at 12:36 p.m. looking for answers. Fourteen minutes later, they got back this text: "This is Marc's daughter, dad passed away on the 7th of December in a car accident. Sorry." Turns out Perez was still alive. Now the Hollands are suing him in Pinellas-Pasco circuit court. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]
  3. What you need to know for Tuesday, June 27

    News

    Catching you up on overnight happenings, and what you need to know today.

    Former St. Petersburg mayor and current mayoral candidate Rick Baker, left, and St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman square off tonight in a debate. [Times]
  4. Once 'angry' about Obamacare, Republican David Jolly came to see it as 'safety net'

    Blogs

    Former Congressman David Jolly, who ran against Obamacare in 2013, said in an interview Monday night that he now considers it a "safety net."

  5. Five children hospitalized after chlorine release at Tampa pool store

    Accidents

    Five children were sickened at a pool store north of Tampa on Monday after a cloud of chlorine was released, according to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.