Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Lutz outcry gives trees in U.S. 41 medians a reprieve

County officials ultimately agreed to delay any tree removal in the medians on U.S. 41 in Lutz, giving residents time to develop proposals for maintaining the landscaping themselves.

ANDY WARRENER | Special to the Times

County officials ultimately agreed to delay any tree removal in the medians on U.S. 41 in Lutz, giving residents time to develop proposals for maintaining the landscaping themselves.

LUTZ — Residents fighting the removal of trees from medians on U.S. 41 got an apology from county officials last week, and the trees got a reprieve.

County officials who met with residents Thursday night conceded they were too hasty and there was a lack of communication about a plan to remove dead or diseased trees in an area from the Apex shopping center to the Pasco County line.

It was part of a larger plan to remove most of the median landscaping and give maintenance responsibility back to the state Department of Transportation. Residents who heard about the plan last weekend mobilized in opposition.

"We goofed because we didn't come to you in advance, and for that I apologize," said Lucia Garsys, a deputy county administrator. "This is not the way we want to conduct business."

County and DOT officials, as well as state Sen. John Legg, met with more than 100 concerned Lutz residents who packed the Lutz Community Center demanding answers.

"You are now in Lutz. Lutz is a different place," said Mike White, head of the Lutz Citizens Coalition. "You have a unique community here, we're trying to be independent and we're not being allowed that luxury."

Garsys and several other officials gave this explanation of why the proposed tree removal moved so quickly and without public input: The county determined it couldn't afford to keep maintaining the 14 medians and handed that responsibility to the DOT.

The medians' grassy areas are maintained by a private company. County officials concluded that the 86 trees in the median had to go because they were thought to be dead or dying.

That infuriated some residents, who reminded officials that they had made some concessions when U.S. 41 was expanded to six lanes.

"There was a contract with the county and FDOT, and part of it was a beautification of U.S. 41 that included the medians," resident Gaye Townsend said.

Lutz residents also brought in a certified arborist to rebut the county's claim that many of the trees were dead or dying. The county wanted to cut down as many as 60 crape myrtle trees, planted in 1998, citing maintenance issues and their age.

"Crepe myrtles have a lifespan of 25 to 50 years and, once they are established, need little maintenance," arborist Mary Bryson said. "These trees give us a sense of place. Don't take away our sense of place."

Other residents cited massive landscaping projects that the county had funded, including work done for the Republican National Convention. Others questioned the county's motives for removing the trees. County officials ultimately agreed to postpone any tree removal, allowing residents time to develop new proposals for maintaining the medians.

With so many civic associations and the community support, residents may find the means to do it themselves. The larger issues involve handling the maintenance while complying with liability and safety issues. The medians can be a dangerous place with cars driving by at high speeds on both sides, said Jim Moulton Jr., director of transportation operations for the DOT's Tampa district.

"It's not something you want the Girls Scouts to go out there and do. It's dangerous," he said.

Still, residents offered to step up and help.

"You provide the insurance, people here will do it," said Blake Olsen of the Citizens for Sanity group.

County officials also seemed appeared willing to help.

"We want the county to function as an intermediary with volunteer groups," Garsys said.

Lutz outcry gives trees in U.S. 41 medians a reprieve 01/26/13 [Last modified: Friday, January 25, 2013 4:21pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Deputies find unidentified decomposing body in Dunedin canal

    Public Safety

    DUNEDIN — Pinellas County sheriff's deputies found an unidentified male body floating in a Dunedin canal Monday afternoon, the Sheriff's Office said.

  2. Rays acquire slick-fielding shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria from Marlins

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — Chaim Bloom said the Rays weren't necessarily in the market for a shortstop. The team has a number of those. But when the Marlins recently began shopping Adeiny Hechavarria, well, that was too much to pass up.

    Adeiny Hechavarria has emerged as one of baseball’s top defensive shortstops in the past three seasons with the Marlins.
  3. Lightning journal: Forward Yanni Gourde agrees to two-year deal

    Lightning Strikes

    TAMPA — Just three years ago, Yanni Gourde was fighting to stay in pro hockey.

    Tampa Bay Lightning center Yanni Gourde celebrates after scoring against the Florida Panthers during the second period of an NHL hockey game, Saturday, March 11, 2017, in Tampa, Fla. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara) TPA108
  4. Fennelly: About time Dave Andreychuk makes Hockey Hall of Fame

    Lightning Strikes

    It's Andy's time.

    And it's about time.

    Former Lightning captain Dave Andreychuk has been elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame. He had been eligible since 2009, a ridiculously long wait for someone who scored 640 goals, including a record 274 on the power play.

    LEFT: Dave Andreychuk talks at the podium as he is honored with a statue in front of the now-Amalie Arena.
  5. British government says 75 out of 75 buildings failed fire safety tests

    World

    LONDON — Britain on Monday confronted a rapidly growing fire safety crisis after tests of the exterior cladding on dozens of public housing towers revealed a 100 percent failure rate, raising fears that this month's deadly inferno in London could be repeated elsewhere.

    Spanish surrealist painter Salvador Dali, presents his first Chrono-Hologram in Paris, France, in 1973. A Spanish judge on Monday June 26, 2017, has ordered the remains of artist Salvador Dali to be exhumed following a paternity suit by a woman named by Europa Press agency as Pilar Abel, 61 from the nearby city of Girona. Dali, considered one of the fathers of surrealism in art, died in 1989 and is buried in his museum in the northeastern town of Figueres. [Associated Press]