Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

New $5 fee coming to Fort De Soto and Fred Howard parks in Pinellas

CLEARWATER — People will still be able to sit on Fort De Soto Park's white sandy beaches and watch the sun sink into the horizon — it's just going to cost them.

Pinellas County officials said Thursday they have little choice but to start charging a $5-per-car fee at Fort De Soto, as well as Fred Howard Park in Tarpon Springs.

"I think we have put this off for as long as we can responsibly do it," said Commissioner Ken Welch. "We don't want to impose these fees, but I think at this point, we have to."

Successive years of budget cuts have left trash piling up, the grass overgrown and bathrooms unkempt at county parks.

Pinellas County Administrator Bob LaSala gave commissioners a choice: Back the fee or face $1 million or more in park cuts — reductions that could shutter county parks two days a week.

Commissioners Susan Latvala, John Morroni, Karen Seel and Ken Welch supported the fee and directed staff to include it in next year's budget, which begins Oct. 1. It is expected to generate $2 million a year.

Hourly meters already suck in coins at other county-run beaches, such as Sand Key Park. But Fort De Soto remained free once visitors passed state tolls.

The parks are the county's most popular. Fort De Soto had 2.8 million visitors last year; Fred Howard had 1.6 million.

"It's long overdue," said St. Petersburg activist Lorraine Margeson. "The degradation to the park system is already occurring. It's high time they finally made the decision."

A recent poll showed more than 66 percent of people were willing to pay a fee at Fort De Soto, according to random phone survey of 267 residents. The poll, taken April 19-29, had a margin of error of 6 percentage points. The commission conducted the $5,700 survey after hearing from park supporters who bemoaned the state of those parks.

Commissioner Nancy Bostock, who along with Norm Roche opposed the fee, said collecting it at Fort De Soto could be overly complicated.

If the county installs a pay gate at the park, it would be about 2 miles from a state booth that collects a 35-cent fee.

Parking meters would be a challenge as well. Fort De Soto has 3,000 marked spaces and even more unmarked spaces.

Roche called for using the county's tourist tax to help maintain the beach parks starting in 2015.

"We need to offset the costs of operating the parks now — not in 2015," Latvala responded.

Without new money, LaSala demanded steep cuts to parks to close a more than $3 million shortfall in his departments.

The $2 million generated from the fee would be used to offset the $1 million in required park cuts. The other $700,000 would be used to restore previous cuts to rangers and maintenance staff, with the final $300,000 earmarked for improvements.

No date was set to start collecting the fee, which won't become official until the commission approves the budget.

There was no polling of public sentiment for fees at Fred Howard, but the proposal was blasted last year.

Dale Piskie, 69, a frequent visitor, said she understands the need at Fort De Soto. But charging at the much smaller Fred Howard is unfair, she said.

"I'm going to pay $5 to go see the sunset?" scoffed Piskie, a 12-year resident of Tarpon Springs.

David DeCamp can be reached at ddecamp@sptimes.com or (727) 893-8779. Follow him on Twitter @DeCampTimes

About the $5 fee

. Who would pay it? All vehicles will pay a $5 fee at Fort De Soto and Fred Howard parks. Bicyclists and pedestrians will be exempt, along with people who have daily boat ramp parking or buy a $75 annual pass. Discounts would be offered to people 65 or older and low-income residents. People with disabled parking tags will be free, too.

. How would it be collected? The county still hasn't decided whether it will be a pay gate or parking meters at Fort De Soto. At Fred Howard, the causeway and beach will require fees, but the more than 300 parking spaces on the inland portion would remain free.

. When will it start? No date was set to start collecting the fees, but the new budget begins Oct. 1.

New $5 fee coming to Fort De Soto and Fred Howard parks in Pinellas 05/26/11 [Last modified: Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:28pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Manhattan Casino controversy resumes after taking a break for Irma

    Local Government

    ST. PETERSBURG — Mayor Rick Kriseman's administration has once again found itself defending its controversial choice of the Callaloo Group to open a "Floribbean" restaurant in the historic but currently empty Manhattan Casino.

  2. At Menorah Manor, planning paid off during Irma

    Nursing Homes

    ST. PETERSBURG — Doris Rosenblatt and her husband, Frank, have lived in Florida all of their lives, so they know about hurricanes.

    Raisa Collins, 9, far left, works on a craft project as Certified Nursing Assistant Shuntal Anthony holds Cassidy Merrill, 1, while pouring glue for Quanniyah Brownlee, 9, right, at Menorah Manor in St. Petersburg on Sept. 15. To help keep its patients safe during Hurricane Irma, Menorah Manor allowed employees to shelter their families and pets at the nursing home and also offered daycare through the week. The facility was able to accommodate and feed everyone who weathered the storm there. [LARA CERRI   |   Times]
  3. Carlton: The cross atop the church that moved, and other strange tales from Hurricane Irma

    Hurricanes

    Down in Miami, the famous tan-don't-burn Coppertone Girl on the side of a building lost her head — part of it, at least, the top of her blond hair lopped off in the fierce winds of Hurricane Irma. ("At least her tan line and doggie weathered the storm," the Miami Herald noted optimistically.)

    Hurricane Irma partly decapitated the Coppertone Girl in Miami. [Miami Herald]
  4. After Irma, nursing homes scramble to meet a hard deadline

    State Roundup

    TALLAHASSEE — Florida's nursing homes and assisted-living facilities find themselves in an unfamiliar place this week — pushing back against Gov. Rick Scott's administration over new rules that require them to purchase generator capacity by Nov. 15 to keep their residents safe and comfortable in a power …

    In this Sept. 13 photo, a woman is transported from The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills as patients are evacuated after a loss of air conditioning due to Hurricane Irma in Hollywood. Nine have died and patients had to be moved out of the facility, many of them on stretchers or in wheelchairs. Authorities have launched a criminal investigation to figure out what went wrong and who, if anyone, was to blame. [Amy Beth Bennett | South Florida Sun-Sentinel via AP]