Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

New cable should quell power outages

TREASURE ISLAND — Frequent power outages on Isle of Capri and Isle of Palms should be a thing of the past by the end of the year.

That is when Progress Energy hopes to complete underwater and underground installation of a new power cable that will run nearly a mile from the St. Petersburg mainland.

Four power cables running under the Intracoastal Waterway are supposed to bring power to Treasure Island's homes and businesses.

Three of the cables were replaced during the past five years. But the fourth, which is about 40 years old, doesn't work anymore.

"The new cable will improve load capacity and main power supply to the area," Progress Energy representative Jerry Faustino told the City Commission last week. "This is going to be a big improvement and has been a long time coming."

He said some of the power outages in the city were caused by overgrown trees, squirrels and faults in the underground cables. Those causes have been fixed, according to Faustino, and the new cable will further "improve reliability."

The cable will run overhead from the utility's power substation in the Jungle area along 22nd Avenue and 74th Street south to the Treasure Island Causeway, where it will continue about 3 feet underground.

The 20-inch pipe containing the cable will dip 133 feet into lime rock below the seabed of the Intracoastal Waterway along the centerline of the two bridges, then continue underground on the causeway to Gulf Boulevard and then north to 112th Avenue, where it will connect to overhead power lines.

Installation of the overhead cable in St. Petersburg began in May and is expected to be completed by August.

Permits and easements from the state and federal government are expected to be in hand by August, as well.

The original route of the older cable cannot be used, Faustino said, because of stricter environmental regulations. The original cable was "plowed into" the seabed.

Different portions of Progress Energy's plans to bore below the seabed and bore under the causeway and Gulf Boulevard must be approved by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and the Florida Department of Transportation.

Underground and underwater borings on the causeway, under the Intracoastal Waterway and on Treasure Island are scheduled to begin in September and be completed by November.

Construction will take six to eight weeks to complete.

Faustino said Progress Energy hopes to negotiate with the Treasure Island Tennis and Yacht Club to use part of its parking lot to stage equipment.

Sand and rock from the underground borings must be stored until dry before it can be transported to a landfill. Faustino said the borings will create a 42-inch tunnel into which the pipe and cable will be inserted.

During construction two travel lanes on the causeway — one westbound and one eastbound — will be closed to traffic, he said.

Construction will begin about 7 a.m. and continue until 6 or 7 p.m. six days a week until the project is completed. There will be no work on Sundays, Faustino said.

New cable should quell power outages 06/08/10 [Last modified: Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:04pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Justin Timberlake in Super Bowl halftime show for first time since 'wardrobe malfunction'

    Celebrities

    Justin Timberlake has finally been invited back to the Super Bowl halftime show, 14 years after the "wardrobe malfunction" with Janet Jackson caused a national controversy.

    Singer Janet Jackson covers her breast as Justin Timberlake holds part of her costume after her outfit came undone during the halftime show of Super Bowl XXXVIII in Houston in 2004. The NFL announced Sunday, Oct. 22, 2017, that Timberlake will headline the Super Bowl halftime show Feb. 4 in Minnesota, 14 years after the "wardrobe malfunction" with Janet Jackson cause a national controversy. [Associated Press]
  2. Here's what happened when 30 high school sophomores gave up their phones for a day

    K12

    LUTZ — They were everywhere at Steinbrenner High School. Teens with panic-stricken faces, furiously slapping one thigh, then the other.

    Grace Hayes, 15, left, and Kai'Rey Lewis, 15, talk and text friends after having a discussion about smartphone technology in Tiffany Southwell's English Literature class at Steinbrenner High last week. Southwell asked theme to give up their phones for a day and write about it. For Lewis, the ride home that day "was the longest bus ride in my life." [OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times]
  3. Cuban media treats visit by Tampa City Council as historic event

    Politics

    TAMPA — Delegations of one kind or another have been traveling from Tampa to Cuba for years, even before President Barack Obama took steps to normalize relations between the two countries in December 2014.

    A Tampa delegation to Cuba this week was featured prominently in reports by the state-run media in Cuba, including Granma. From left are Tampa City Council vice chair Harry Cohen, St. Petersburg City Council Chair Darden Rice, Tampa philanthropist David Straz and Tampa City Council Chair Yolie Capin.
  4. As the curtain rises on the Straz Center's biggest shows, the spotlight is on parking

    Transportation

    TAMPA — The Broadway Series, the most lucrative shows of the year for the David A. Straz Jr. Center for the Performing Arts, start this week, and this year the center wants all the drama to take place on stage, not during the drive to the theater.

    With downtown Tampa getting busier at night and on weekends, city officials and administrators from the David A. Straz Jr. Center for the Performing Arts have been working on ways to unsnarl traffic and help visitors find parking when there are lots of events at the same time. CHRIS ZUPPA   |   Times (2009)

  5. OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times 
Casimar Naiboa pleads for help to capture the killer of his son, Anthony Naiboa. Naiboa, 20, was shot and killed near 15th Street N. and E. Frierson Avenue after getting off the wrong bus in Seminole Heights. A peaceful march that began on east New Orleans Avenue was held during the candlelight vigil for the three victims who were killed in the recent shootings in the Seminole Heights neighborhood in Tampa on Sunday, October 22, 2017.