Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

New Port Richey officials meet with protest leader

NEW PORT RICHEY — City officials are hoping to ease relations with a protestor who claimed that New Port Richey police violated his rights six months ago by tossing his group out of Sims Park.

The organizer of that May protest, Zachary Mitrovich, is now part of the fledgling Occupy New Port Richey group, which plans to protest at bank branches in the area, starting with a Bank of America branch at U.S. 19 and Main Street.

City Manager John Schneiger met with Mitrovich on Tuesday to hear his concerns about the May protest, in which the American Youth Movement 22211 carried signs decrying corporate power and government corruption. While he determined the police acted appropriately, Schneiger said he didn't anticipate problems with the upcoming Occupy protests.

"It was really a way to say let's not look backward, but move forward," Schneiger said.

Occupy New Port Richey member Daniel Callaghan said he and Mitrovich sought the meeting to ease strained relations with the city since the Sims Park incident. Callaghan filed a complaint in September with the New Port Richey Police Department saying officers wrongly threw American Youth Movement protestors out of the park during a fundraiser and concert earlier this year.

The event's organizers had invited the youth group to the May 21 Rock the Park, a daylong concert to benefit the Center for Independence and a local Marine who lost his legs in Afghanistan. But when the youth group showed up carrying protest signs and wearing American flag bandanas on their faces, organizers called on them to leave.

Mitrovich, 23, claims police officers threatened to cite them for trespassing if they did not leave. But a review by then-Police Chief Jeffrey Harrington found the officer made no such threats, and instead the American Youth members voluntarily left.

Schneiger offered to meet with Mitrovich in September. Both Schneiger and Mitrovich said an initial encounter between the two went badly.

"I really think it was a misunderstanding. He wasn't happy with the small amount of time I had that day," Schneiger said. "And with the way things happened I didn't think it would be productive for us to meet again."

But at Callaghan's request they met again Tuesday with Schneiger and acting police Chief James Steffens to discuss upcoming Occupy New Port Richey protests. Schneiger said he apologized for any misunderstanding during his first meeting.

Mitrovich said he appreciated the meeting with Schneiger and his pledge to uphold protestors' constitutional rights. But he is still considering filing a federal lawsuit against the city over the Sims Park incident.

"That's still my plan. But we'll see how they treat Occupy New Port Richey. That might change my mind," Mitrovich said. "Actions speak louder than words."

New Port Richey officials meet with protest leader 11/16/11 [Last modified: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:16pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Gov. Rick Scott could soon be the all-time king of line-item veto

    Blogs

    2016: $256,144,027

    2015: $461,387,164

    2014: $68,850,121

    2013: $367,950,394

    2012: $142,752,177

    2011: $615,347,550

    Only once has Scott used the line-item veto sparingly. That was in 2014, the year he ran for re-election, when he removed a paltry $69 million from the budget.

    Gov. Rick Scott waves a veto pen at The Villages in 2011.
  2. Rays morning after: An up-and down day for Jose De Leon

    Blogs

    Rays RHP Jose De Leon had a busy Monday - getting called up to join the Rays for the first time and making his way from Pawtucket, R.I., to Boston and the flying to Texas, working 2 2/3 eventful innings to get the W in the 10-8 victory over the Rangers, and then getting optioned back to Triple-A.

    Jose De Leon follows through in the sixth inning against the Texas Rangers at Globe Life Park in Arlington, Texas, on May 29, 2017.
  3. Resignation of communications director Dubke could signal more changes within White House staff

    National

    WASHINGTON — Mike Dubke has resigned as White House communications director, a senior administration official confirmed Tuesday, in the first of what could be a series of changes to President Trump's senior staff amid the growing Russia scandal.

    President Donald Trump speaks at the Memorial Amphitheater in Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va., Monday, May 29, 2017, during a Memorial Day ceremony. [Associated Press]
  4. Trump pays somber tribute to fallen troops on Memorial Day

    National

    ARLINGTON, Va. — President Donald Trump expressed the nation's "boundless" gratitude for the ultimate sacrifice paid by Americans defending the United States, dedicating his first Memorial Day address as commander in chief to a top Cabinet secretary and two other families who lost loved ones.

    Brittany Jacobs, left, watches as her 6-year-old son Christian Jacobs meets President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence in Section 60 of Arlington National Cemetery, Monday, May 29, 2017, in Arlington, Va. Jacobs father, Marine Sgt. Christopher Jacobs, was killed in 2011. [Associated Press]
  5. Florida education news: Budgets, discipline, charter schools and more

    Blogs

    BUDGETING: Florida school district officials keep a close eye on their spending plans as they await word on the Legislature's budget. Gov. Rick Scott