Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Officials pitch ballfields as tourism booster

MADEIRA BEACH — Building new ballfields and a recreation center at a cost of about $3 million may be controversial among many residents, but the project would revitalize the city's economy, according to officials.

Sports tourism secured by the Clearwater-St. Petersburg Sports Commission generated $23 million in economic impact in Pinellas County last year, according to director Kevin Smith, as he urged city officials last week to build the complex.

The commission is part of the St. Petersburg/Clearwater Area Convention & Visitors Bureau and is the county's official sports marketing and management organization.

The groups's mandate is to promote professional, collegiate, youth and amateur team training and tournaments on a state, regional, national and even international level at sports facilities throughout the county.

"We are very, very short on quality assets to host tournaments," Smith told the City Commission. "We need quality inventory, ballfields and gymnasiums."

Smith, who also is the incoming chairman of the National Association of Sports Commissions, said his staff is in Europe promoting county and municipal softball facilities to German, Danish, Swedish and Italian teams and organizations.

"We find events and bring them back to Pinellas County," Smith said. "We insist that organizations stay in the county so it means money for hotels and restaurants."

He described Pinellas as a "first-class, tier-one destination" for hosting major worldwide sporting events.

Among those events are the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg; the ABA BMX Gator Nationals that attracts more than 800 riders from over 20 countries to the Oldsmar BMX Park; and the three-week long USF Series softball collegiate tournament in Clearwater.

Other cities that have benefited from sports events recruited by Smith's office include Dunedin, Largo, Safety Harbor, Pinellas Park and St. Pete Beach.

Most recently, Largo was awarded the Junior Diving National Championships to be held in 2014, Smith said.

His organization is currently bidding on events that would be precursors to the 2016 Olympics, and others as far into the future as 2020.

He praised the Madeira Beach officials' vision for considering rebuilding its recreational complex and said he could fill it with tournaments and sports events year-round.

The current ballfields, which many residents maintain are good enough, are actually not adequate for attracting sports tourism, he said.

"You do have an asset but to be perfectly honest with you, it is not a usable asset. It doesn't meet the standards we need to have."

If the commission decides to move ahead with the recreation complex portion of its municipal rebuilding project, Smith said he has expert consultants that could advise the city on how the ballfields should be designed.

City Manager Shane Crawford said he hoped the commission would cite Smith's sports tourism statistics and predictions when talking with residents about the proposed rebuilding of the city hall, fire station, and recreational complex.

A group of residents already are promoting a citywide referendum on the recreation portion of the project, which they oppose. The group prefers that the city spend the money on streets and drainage first.

A final decision by the commission on the scope of the municipal project, which could cost $10 million or more, is expected within the next few months.

Crawford defended the Phase 2 recreational complex redevelopment, calling it a no-brainer that would generate revenue for both the city and its businesses.

"We can make money doing this and there will be an economic impact on the city,'' Crawford said. "Your hotels will be full."

Officials pitch ballfields as tourism booster 07/23/13 [Last modified: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:10pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Pinellas sees spike in infant deaths from unsafe sleeping, and advocates are concerned

    Health

    The reports from the Department of Children and Families are tragic: A Pinellas County mother falls asleep on a recliner during an early morning feeding and wakes to find one of her 3-month-old twins unresponsive. Another finds her 6-month-old daughter lying still, a blanket over her head. Another infant is found wedged …

    Advocates are looking to step up their public information efforts this year after reports show a spike in sleep-related infant deaths in Pinellas County. [iStockphoto.com]
  2. Kellyanne Conway warns of health care spin, but then delivers her own in Miami

    Blogs

    On the same day that Senate Republicans were forced to delay a vote on their healthcare legislation because not enough of them wanted to vote for it, White House senior counselor Kellyanne Conway defended the bill in Miami.

    White House senior counselor Kellyanne Conway is welcomed by state Rep. Carlos Trujillo, R-District 105, at the Miami-Dade GOP’s Lincoln Day fundraiser on Tuesday night.
  3. Sign up for our new daily News at Noon email newsletter

    News

    The Tampa Bay Times will soon launch a daily newsletter called News at Noon. You can make sure to be among the first to receive it by signing up now.

  4. New poll shows tight St. Pete mayor's race

    Blogs

    A new poll shows a tight race between former mayor Rick Baker and Mayor Rick Kriseman, currently engaged in the most expensive mayoral race in St. Petersburg history. 

    Former Mayor Rick Baker answers a question during the mayoral candidate forum at Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church on Tuesday. Mayor Rick Kriseman is in the foreground.
  5. Review: Mark Bowden's 'Hue 1968' a gripping, and timely, history

    Books

    More than 40 years after it ended, America's war in Vietnam is still contentious, still misunderstood, and fast slipping into the fog of history.

     On Feb. 15, 1968, U.S. Marines carry out an assault on Dong Ba Tower in Hue, South Vietnam. In the battle for the tower, six men died and 50 were wounded.