Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Pasco commissioners to rehear appeal on controversial apartment complex project

DADE CITY — Faced with the threat of a lawsuit from the developer, Pasco commissioners agreed to rehear an appeal of a controversial apartment complex that they failed to vote up or down two weeks ago.

"If we let this stand as it is, then I think we're going to lose later on," said Commissioner Jack Mariano, who voted with the majority on Aug. 27 to send the proposed 102-unit Oaks Apartments back to the county's Development Review Committee to be re-examined. "I thought we were making the right decision, but I don't think we made the right call."

Mariano voiced his misgivings after a break in which he met with county staff, who explained that the project met or exceeded all land-use rules and already had the proper zoning. He, along with Commissioners Ted Schrader and Kathryn Starkey, voted to rehear the matter, which erases the earlier decision.

The vote Tuesday came after commissioners received scathing letters from two attorneys for the developer, Clearwater-based Scherer Development. The attorneys urged the board to reconsider the decision to allow the apartments off Amazon Drive near New Port Richey.

"Their actions were so far outside the permitted and permissible realm of their authority that they have exposed themselves personally to liability for violating my clients' rights to due process and equal protection and in doing so have also exposed themselves and the county to liability," attorney Robert K. Lincoln wrote to Schrader. He went on to accuse Commissioners Pat Mulieri, Henry Wilson Jr. and Mariano of participating in an "illegal public mugging."

Attorney Barbara Wilhite wrote criticizing Mulieri for urging the developer to "make everybody happy" and change the plans to single-family owned villas. She said the apartments met all zoning and land-use requirements and repeated the county attorney's remarks that "staff was compelled to issue the site plan" and that commissioners had no choice legally but to uphold the DRC.

"Commissioners Mariano, Mulieri and Wilson acted totally outside the evidence, totally outside the law, even after having been repeatedly advised that there was no legal basis for taking any action other than approving DRC's decision," the letter said.

The new hearing, which will have to be advertised, will likely happen next month.

The decision came as a surprise to We Are 5533 Strong Inc., a group formed to address the concerns of nearby Heritage Lakes neighborhood.

"I was not aware of this," attorney Ralf Brookes said. "My clients were not aware. We did not receive any notice or the opportunity to be heard on the motion to reconsider."

The fight has been going on since September 2012, when county staffers first approved the plans. The first phase of the complex would include six two-story units, a 3,000-square-foot clubhouse, swimming and splash pools, a playground, picnic pavilions, tennis and basketball courts, a mulched car wash area, a 2-acre park with an open play area, parking lots and seven garages.

The site has been woods for years but was zoned multifamily in 1985. In 2005 it was approved for 102 condominiums, which residents did not oppose. But the housing bust stalled the project and the land was sold to Scherer, which revived the plans.

The residents have argued that the multi-story apartments would lower property values, increase traffic and contribute to flooding. County staff have said flooding won't be an issue.

Brookes said the county was supposed to have approved compatibility standards in 2008 that would have prevented the apartments, but that didn't get done.

He said a case can still be made that the proposed apartments aren't compatible with the surrounding neighborhood and that he welcomes the chance to be heard again.

Pasco commissioners to rehear appeal on controversial apartment complex project 09/10/13 [Last modified: Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:49pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Men of Vision get to work after Hurricane Irma

    K12

    Answering the call to action after the departure of Hurricane Irma, they cleaned up fallen branches in mid-Tampa neighborhoods and in Rowlett Park, where they toiled alongside Tampa city workers, and they came out in force to clean up the Hillsborough River, pulling out gas cans, trash cans, old tires and even a …

    hillsmov092217: The Men of Vision helped clean up Rowlett Park in the wake of Hurricane Irma last week. Photo courtesy of Hillsborough County Public Schools.
  2. Visitors get in free Saturday at Tampa Bay History Center

    Visitors get in free Saturday at Tampa Bay History Center

    Education

    Times staff

    TAMPA — Nothing to do Saturday? Go back in history.

    Machine gun at the ready, a paratrooper of the U.S. 82nd Airborne Brigade advances cautiously  near Hue, South Vietnam on April 3, 1968.
  3. Howard Altman: Base chuckling as UFO website reports 'flying triangles' at MacDill

    Macdill

    My Twitter feed on MacDill Air Force Base has been out of this world lately.

    Literally.

    Michael Salla, who runs an extraterrestrial research website, claims these are images taken of UFOs near MacDill Air Force Base earlier this month. [Exopolitics.org]
  4. Pittman: Why Irma drained the water from Tampa Bay

    Columns

    Nobody could believe it. As Hurricane Irma approached Florida, Tampa Bay suddenly went dry. People hopped down onto the bay bottom, now a vast sandy expanse, and walked around, stunned.

    Scores of people walk on the sand of Tampa Bay along Bayshore Boulevard in Tampa on Sept. 9. As Hurricane Irma approached, the water temporarily receded to an extreme level allowing people to walk on what used to be the waters of Tampa Bay. Tampa police later asked people to leave for their safety. [LUIS SANTANA   |   Times]
  5. SEC says hackers may have profited from stolen info

    Business

    The Securities and Exchange Commission says its corporate filing system was hacked last year and the intruders may have used the nonpublic information they obtained to profit illegally.

    In this file photo, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Chairman nominee Jay Clayton testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington at his confirmation hearing before the Senate Banking Committee. The SEC says a cyber breach of a filing system it uses may have provided the basis for some illegal trading in 2016. [AP file photo]