Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Pasco ordinance will expedite slum demolition

Pasco commissioners approved a new ordinance Tuesday to expedite demolition of condemned homes.

DOUGLAS R. CLIFFORD | Times

Pasco commissioners approved a new ordinance Tuesday to expedite demolition of condemned homes.

NEW PORT RICHEY — Pasco commissioners focused on home improvements Tuesday.

In the morning, the County Commission ordered two dilapidated homes demolished, but spared two others to let their owners do needed repairs. In the afternoon, the board amended an ordinance to expedite future demolitions and relinquish authority to hear owner appeals to its volunteer construction board.

The amended ordinance, approved unanimously, will halve the time owners have to appeal a condemnation order, from 60 to 30 days. The 10-member board hearing those appeals consists of seven licensed contractors and three community residents.

The changes "will provide an important benefit to the public by requiring owners to efficiently remove slum, blighted, unsafe and uninhabitable structures,'' community development director George Romangnoli said in a memo to commissioners.

The ordinance also adopts federal definitions for categorizing when a structure is considered destroyed, has major or minor damage or is affected in the event of a natural disaster.

"It makes sense,'' Kevin Guthrie, assistant county administrator for public safety, told commissioners last month when the ordinance was first introduced.

Separately, commissioners refused to grant a reprieve to Salvatore Poliandro, who owns two condemned homes in west Pasco. Poliandro's properties at 5519 and 5527 Leisure Lane are in an area targeted for cleanup at Pasco County's border with the city of New Port Richey. City officials have complained that blight and crime from the county neighborhood spill over to the Southgate Plaza, a retailing district in the city.

Poliandro appeared before commissioners in August and successfully argued for a one-month delay in a board decision, even though a county inspector said his mobile homes showed no evidence of workable plumbing or electrical service and were fire hazards. The cost of repairing the buildings exceeds the value of the structures, county building official Stephen Tetlak told commissioners.

Poliandro said the buildings do have working plumbing and suggested the county buy him out if it wanted the structures removed. County records show he owns 13 properties on Leisure Lane and neighboring Van Doren Avenue.

"This is a slum, and I don't see why we're letting it stay,'' Commissioner Kathryn Starkey said last month in voting against the delay.

On Tuesday, Poliandro didn't dispute the county's condemnation order at 5527 Leisure, which he said was a trailer built in 1955. He challenged the ruling at 5519 Leisure, but offered no plan to bring the structure up to code. Instead, he suggested that the county building and community development departments collude against property owners by offering vague and confusing evidence, and he said a prior sheriff's administration was to blame for the area's criminal activity.

Commissioners didn't bite on his conspiracy theories, and gave Poliandro 45 days to tear down or remove the structure, which included an illegal addition to a mobile home in a flood zone. Tetlak said the home had an incomplete kitchen and an unsanitary bathroom. Neither of Poliandro's homes were occupied at the time the county condemned them in February.

Commissioners also followed Tetlak's recommendations to stay the planned demolition of homes at 12813 Teakwood Lane in Beacon Woods in Hudson and at 2853 Raven Drive in Colonial Hills in Holiday after owners presented plans to rehabilitate the structures.

Commissioner Jack Mariano, who lives in Beacon Woods, voted against the repair plan for the Teakwood house, saying the unstable ground beneath it posed a danger.

"I don't want a collapse coming down the road,'' Mariano said.

County Attorney Jeffrey Steinsnyder, however, said the commission had no legal reason to demolish the house because there was no geo-technical evidence to contradict the suitability of the owner's repair plan.

Pasco ordinance will expedite slum demolition 09/28/17 [Last modified: Thursday, September 28, 2017 11:13am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Spain planning to strip Catalonia of its autonomy

    World

    BARCELONA, Spain — The escalating confrontation over Catalonia's independence drive took its most serious turn Saturday as Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy of Spain announced he would remove the leadership of the restive region and initiate a process of direct rule by the central government in Madrid.

    Demonstrators in Barcelona protest the decision to take control of Catalonia to derail the independence movement.
  2. Funeral held for U.S. soldier at center of Trump fight

    Nation

    COOPER CITY — Mourners remembered not only a U.S. soldier whose combat death in Africa led to a political fight between President Donald Trump and a Florida congresswoman but his three comrades who died with him.

    The casket of Sgt. La David T. Johnson of Miami Gardens, who was killed in an ambush in Niger. is wheeled out after a viewing at the Christ The Rock Church, Friday, Oct. 20, 2017  in Cooper City, Fla. (Pedro Portal/Miami Herald via AP) FLMIH102
  3. Chemical industry insider now shapes EPA policy

    Nation

    WASHINGTON — For years, the Environmental Protection Agency has struggled to prevent an ingredient once used in stain-resistant carpets and nonstick pans from contaminating drinking water.

    This is the Dow chemical plant near Freeport, Texas. Before the 2016 election, Dow had been in talks with the EPA to phase out the pesticide chlorpyrifos, which is blamed for disabilities in children. Dow is no longer willing to compromise.
  4. Unforgiving wildfires affect vineyard workers and owners

    Nation

    SONOMA, Calif. — When the wildfires ignited, vineyard workers stopped picking grapes and fled for their lives. Some vineyard owners decided to stay and fight back, spending days digging firebreaks and sleeping among their vines.

    Wilma Illanes and daughter Gabriela Cervantes, 8, found their home intact, but had lost a week’s wages and sought aid.
  5. O'Reilly got new contract after big settlement

    Nation

    Last January, six months after Fox News ousted its chairman amid a sexual harassment scandal, the network's top-rated host at the time, Bill O'Reilly, struck a $32 million agreement with a longtime network analyst to settle new sexual harassment allegations, two people briefed on the matter told the New York …

    Bill O’Reilly was fired by Fox News after multiple allegations.