Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Pinellas downsizes plan for medical clinic for the poor

CLEARWATER — It was a grand vision to help the most needy of Pinellas County's residents.

Over the past few months, however, the Pinellas County Commission started to have doubts about building a $5 million medical clinic for the poor near the Pinellas County Jail and Safe Harbor homeless shelter in Largo. On Wednesday, commissioners decided to change course.

The board did not take a formal vote at the work session but generally agreed that an about 2,200-square-foot medical clinic for the homeless — primarily residents already at Safe Harbor — is probably a more realistic approach than the 15,000-square-foot facility that had been planned. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services had already awarded the county $5 million to build the larger clinic. Now, county officials will ask permission to use about $1 million of the grant money for the smaller clinic.

"The original (building) was an SUV, do everything-type of vehicle," Commissioner Ken Welch said. "This one … is more of a pickup truck, and I'm okay with that."

Initial plans called for a two-story building housing a primary care clinic, mental health services and housing placement assistance programs. It was to be geared largely toward families, offering dental checkups, gynecological exams and pediatric services. The project also included a "respite center" for people just out of the hospital.

But county officials learned that $5 million would not cover the cost of a building large enough to accommodate all those features and that a respite center would not be allowed under the terms of the grant. The county also planned to partner with local providers to help run the clinic but got lukewarm reception, leading to concerns that Pinellas would be on the hook for a large portion of the operating costs.

The cost to run a smaller clinic would be much more manageable -— about $400,000 to stay open at least 32 hours a week — and could be covered with existing funds and possibly some grant dollars, Dr. Claude Dharamraj, director of the Florida Department of Health in Pinellas County, told the board.

The pared-down clinic would still free up the county's Mobile Medical Unit, a clinic on wheels that stops once a week at Safe Harbor, to serve homeless patients in other parts of the county, Dharamraj said.

It would also help cut emergency medical services costs by reducing the number of 911 calls to Safe Harbor and eliminating the need — at least part of the day — to send Largo Fire Rescue to medical calls, said interim chief of staff Bruce Moeller.

"If we can expand the (mobile unit) to the rest of the county and reduce EMS costs, it seems like a win-win kind of thing," Commissioner Charlie Justice said.

Commissioners also agreed to ask Sheriff Bob Gualtieri if there is space in the jail's medical wing to house the clinic, though they acknowledged that could be problematic, if not impossible, even if there is space.

They were right, Gualtieri said in an interview later Wednesday.

"It wouldn't work from a space standpoint, an operational standpoint or a security standpoint," he said. "If there was a way I thought it could work, frankly, we'd already be doing it."

Gualtieri had opposed the family medical clinic from the start. He was skeptical that the county could find partners to help run the facility and thought it would be unwise to serve families on a jail campus.

He agreed that a smaller operation geared toward the population at Safe Harbor makes more sense.

Contact Tony Marrero at [email protected] or (727) 893-8779. Follow @tmarrerotimes.

Pinellas downsizes plan for medical clinic for the poor 07/16/14 [Last modified: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:37pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Tampa Bay small businesses give Tampa B+ for regulatory climate

    Corporate

    In a recent survey about small business sentiments toward state and local government policies that affect them, Tampa Bay ranked at No. 25 out of 80 — a B+ overall.

    Tampa Bay ranked No. 25 out of 80 in a recent survey about how small business owners feel about state and local government policies that affect them. | [Times file photo]
  2. Dirk Koetter to Bucs: Take your complaints to someone who can help

    Bucs

    TAMPA — It was just another day of aching bellies at One Save Face.

    Dirk Koetter: “All of our issues are self-inflicted right now.”
  3. Seminole Heights murders: fear and warnings, but no answers

    Crime

    TAMPA — Interim Tampa police Chief Brian Dugan elicited loud gasps from the crowd of about 400 who showed up at Edison Elementary School on Monday night to learn more about the string of unsolved killings that have left the southeast Seminole Heights neighborhood gripped by fear.

    Kimberly Overman, left, comforts Angelique Dupree, center, as she spoke about the death of her nephew Benjamin Mitchell, 22, last week in Seminole Heights. The Tampa Police Department held a town hall meeting Monday night where concerned residents hoped to learn more about the investigation into the three shooting deaths over 11 days in southeast Seminole Heights. But police could give the crowd at Edison Elementary School few answers. [OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times]
  4. Juvenile justice reform seen as help for teen car theft problem

    Crime

    ST. PETERSBURG — One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations has decided to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year.

    One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations, Faith & Action for Strength Together (FAST), voted Monday night to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year. FAST believes civil citations could help Pinellas County?€™s teen car theft epidemic by keeping children out of the juvenile justice system for minor offenses. [ZACHARY T. SAMPSON  |  Times]
  5. U.S. general lays out Niger attack details; questions remain (w/video)

    War

    WASHINGTON — The U.S. Special Forces unit ambushed by Islamic militants in Niger didn't call for help until an hour into their first contact with the enemy, the top U.S. general said Monday, as he tried to clear up some of the murky details of the assault that killed four American troops and has triggered a nasty …

    Gen. Joseph Dunford said much is still unclear about the ambush.