Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Pinellas officials worry about availability of federal funds for beach renourishment

CLEARWATER — This June, the county will start the first of $16 million in beach renourishment projects on Treasure Island's Sunshine and Sunset beaches before moving on to Upham and Pass-a-Grille in St. Pete Beach, all of which have been damaged by erosion.

Over the next 10 years, and not including this summer's work, the county and state are expected to spend roughly $65 million repairing Pinellas' coastline.

On Tuesday, Pinellas County officials worried about the future of the beaches without federal earmarks or its long-serving congressman to turn to for help.

"We no longer have Bill Young to help us along and champion funding for our beaches, among other things," coastal manager Andy Squires told Pinellas commissioners. "Federal budgets are tightening and sea levels are rising."

In a report to the commission, Squires — who recently spent several days in Washington, D.C., meeting with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and other coastal managers — said the Corps' priorities may shift away from beach restoration as the agency tries to pare down its budget. This could become especially problematic in the coming years, when major tourism destinations like Treasure Island's beaches have to be reauthorized in order to get federal aid.

"Continued federal funding may decline in the near term and end upon the authorization expiration dates," Squires wrote.

Typically, the federal government has paid for 60 percent of Pinellas County's beach restoration projects, with the remaining 40 percent split between the county and the state. And while most county commissioners support the idea of spending more on Pinellas' beaches through the sales tax levied on motel and hotel room rentals, there are no assurances that lawmakers in Tallahassee will increase their contribution.

On Tuesday, commissioners and Squires struggled to think of a single Florida state senator who has championed spending on beaches.

To keep the money from D.C. flowing, Pinellas recently hired Harry Glenn, the former chief of staff for the late U.S. Rep. C.W. Bill Young, as its lobbyist.

On Tuesday, Commissioner Janet Long, a Democrat, said perhaps the first person Glenn should lobby is Young's successor, Rep. David Jolly, a Republican who has said that climate change doesn't require "a significant shift in federal policy."

"Maybe our new lobbyist, who isn't so new, could schedule some kind of an educational moment with our congressman," Long said. Climate change and rising sea levels are "a pretty big issue for us."

Pinellas officials worry about availability of federal funds for beach renourishment 03/18/14 [Last modified: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 10:54pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Once 'angry' about Obamacare, Republican David Jolly came to see it as 'safety net'

    Blogs

    Former Congressman David Jolly, who ran against Obamacare in 2013, said in an interview Monday night that he now considers it a "safety net."

  2. Five children hospitalized after chlorine release at Tampa pool store

    Accidents

    Five children were sickened at a pool store north of Tampa on Monday after a cloud of chlorine was released, according to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.

  3. Deputies find unidentified decomposing body in Dunedin canal

    Public Safety

    DUNEDIN — Pinellas County sheriff's deputies found an unidentified male body floating in a Dunedin canal Monday afternoon, the Sheriff's Office said.

  4. Rays acquire slick-fielding shortstop Adeiny Hechavarria from Marlins

    The Heater

    ST. PETERSBURG — Chaim Bloom said the Rays weren't necessarily in the market for a shortstop. The team has a number of those. But when the Marlins recently began shopping Adeiny Hechavarria, well, that was too much to pass up.

    Adeiny Hechavarria has emerged as one of baseball’s top defensive shortstops in the past three seasons with the Marlins.
  5. Lightning journal: Forward Yanni Gourde agrees to two-year deal

    Lightning Strikes

    TAMPA — Just three years ago, Yanni Gourde was fighting to stay in pro hockey.

    Tampa Bay Lightning center Yanni Gourde celebrates after scoring against the Florida Panthers during the second period of an NHL hockey game, Saturday, March 11, 2017, in Tampa, Fla. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara) TPA108