Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Pinellas takes first step toward county trash pickup

CLEARWATER — Despite opposition from a crowd of 50 residents and garbage haulers, the Pinellas County Commission has taken the first step toward mandatory trash pickup in the county.

Under the plan, the county would contract with haulers to pick up garbage in neighborhoods in unincorporated Pinellas starting in January 2013. The commission's 4-3 vote Tuesday triggered the beginning of a state-mandated three-year waiting period before the county can replace private haulers already operating.

It would cost homeowners $15 to $20 a month, the county estimates. The potential increase and loss of control over pickup prompted an outcry among smaller haulers and residents.

"We want to make our own decisions on which company to hire based on the quality of service and the cost," said Betty Bootier, a resident of unincorporated Seminole.

Commissioners Nancy Bostock, Calvin Harris, Karen Seel and Ken Welch voted for the service. Neil Brickfield, Susan Latvala and John Morroni voted against it in an unusually tight vote.

Morroni and Latvala said there wasn't a compelling reason to add another layer of bureaucracy. Harris said it would be good for the community, adding a standard level of quality for services.

The service is far from a done deal.

The commission still has to pass an ordinance allowing the change and approving bids in the next few years.

Bostock said it was important to start the process, but her support wasn't ironclad if costs and services don't pan out the way county staffers explained them.

"I'll be the first one to say, if we can't do it, to turn this thing around," Bostock said.

Pinellas takes first step toward county trash pickup 10/24/09 [Last modified: Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:30am]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Rays' Blake Snell erasing memories of his poor start

    The Heater

    NEW YORK — As Blake Snell strides up the mound at Yankee Stadium Tuesday night with an 10-game unbeaten streak, doesn't the miserable start to his sophomore season, when he was winless in eight starts and got demoted to Triple-A, seem like a long time ago?

    To him, too.

    Tampa Bay Rays starting pitcher Blake Snell (4) in the dugout during the fourth inning of the game between the Chicago Cubs and the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017. WILL VRAGOVIC   |   Times

  2. St. Petersburg youth baseball concession stand vandalized

    Public Safety

    ST. PETERSBURG — The early-morning phone call warned Charles Castle, president of Burg Baseball, to "expect the worst.'' The organization's concession stand had been vandalized.

     Cliff Williams, Vice President of the Burg Baseball Inc., St. Petersburg, looks at a damaged and trashed concession stand at the Lakewood Baseball Complex, home of the Burg Baseball. According to Williams someone vandalized the concession stand either Saturday or Sunday. SCOTT KEELER   |   Times

  3. Tampa charter school teacher charged with firing handgun at ground

    Crime

    TAMPA — A Tampa charter school teacher was arrested Sunday after she fired a gun into the ground during a dispute with her boyfriend, police said.

    Melody Patrice Bing, a teacher at the Village of Excellence Academy in Tampa, emerged from her home holding a weapon and dropped it when police confronted her at gunpoint. [Tampa Police Department]
  4. Tuesday's Nothing More concert moved from the State Theatre to Jannus Live in St. Petersburg

    Blogs

    Nothing More was one of the highlights of April's 98 Rockfest, a thoroughly entertaining rock outfit with a larger-than-live stage presence.

    Nothing More performed at 98 Rockfest 2017 in Tampa.
  5. Buccaneers-Vikings Turning Point, Week 3: Overreaction vs. reality

    Bucs

    "None of us really know how this group of 53 guys is going to come together and how we're going to play this season."

    Vikings receiver Stefon Diggs torched a porous Bucs secondary Sunday with eight catches for 173 yards and two touchdowns. [Getty Images]