In conjunction with Bay News 9, The St. Petersburg Times conducted 601 phone interviews May 27-28, 2008, using Communications Center Inc. The maximum sampling error is +/- 4 percentage points. Survey participants are registered voters who live in the city of St. Petersburg.
1. How would you rate the job performance of Mayor Rick Baker?
27% Only fair
11% Don't know
2. How would you rate the job performance of the St. Petersburg City Council?
35% Only fair
12% Don't know
3. How much have you heard about the Rays proposing a new baseball stadium in downtown St. Pete?
78% A lot
2% First heard about it
1% Not sure
4. Should the City Council agree to hold a referendum in November that will allow voters to have some say in the approval of the Rays' $450-million waterfront stadium proposal, or should the City Council stop the stadium discussion now?
60% Hold referendum
36% Stop the process
4% Not sure
5. Do you favor or oppose the Rays constructing a new stadium on city-owned land at Al Lang Field on the downtown waterfront?
11% Strongly favor
8% Somewhat favor
11% Somewhat oppose
57% Strongly oppose
6. Which one or two of these is your biggest concern about the stadium proposal?
56% The cost to tax payers
35% Building a new stadium without paying off the old stadium
20% Parking availability
13% Environmental concerns
11% Waterfront location
13% Ballpark design with outdoor seating
5% Or something else
2% No concerns
2% Don't know
7. Which one or two of these do you like the most about the stadium proposal?
9% Ballpark design
20% Waterfront location
22% Economic impact of redeveloping Tropicana Field
8% Team success
6% An outdoor ballpark
8% Or something else?
36% Like nothing about proposal
3% Don't know
8. The city of St. Petersburg and Pinellas County are spending about $11-million a year for the construction of Tropicana Field. The city's contribution is coming from its portion of state sales taxes. The county's portion is coming from a 1 percent tax on hotel stays in Pinellas County. Would you be willing to extend those payments to build a new stadium if it did not result in increased taxes for you?
4% Don't know
9. Do you believe there is adequate parking downtown to support a new waterfront stadium?
9% Don't know
10. How would you rate Mayor Baker's administration in how it has handled the stadium proposal: excellent, good, only fair or poor?
32% Only fair
14% Don't know
11. How many Tampa Bay Rays baseball games did you attend last season in 2007, if any?
23% 6 or more
12. The city expects that it may have to cut up to $10 million in spending as a result of the tax reforms approved by voters last November. Which one or two of the following programs should the city consider cutting first:
14% Recreation programs
27% Code enforcement
21% Arts and social service programs
32% Don't know
13. To make sure we're talking with a cross-section of residents, would you please tell which of these age ranges you fall into:
42% 55 or older
14. Which of these best describes your racial or ethnic origin:
6% Black or African-American
6% Or other