Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Pollution cleanup at former Hernando public works site awaits commission vote

BROOKSVILLE — The state-sanctioned job of cleaning up the contaminated old public works site in south Brooksville is about to begin — decades after the original pollution was discovered.

The County Commission on Tuesday will be asked to approve the next step for its engineering consultant, Cardno TBE, and that step is to begin to implement the state-approved Remedial Action Plan for the site.

The job will cost $282,346 and includes testing and writing the technical specifications that will begin the process of cleaning and capping the site.

The water and soil there were fouled by contaminants, including petroleum products and arsenic, which leaked into the site at 201 W Dr. M. L. King Jr. Blvd. when the county ran its public works and fleet maintenance operations there years ago.

The county has previously tested the site and removed and replaced dirt, but that was before the action plan was approved in 2010. Putting that plan into place was delayed by the need for a public meeting with residents of the largely African-American neighborhood.

Residents expressed concern that the plan didn't go far enough and argued that the poisons on the site had seeped into their entire neighborhood, sickening and causing the deaths of some residents.

After that meeting, several residents of the neighborhood challenged the plan but an administrative law judge rejected their arguments in March.

In May, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection gave its final approval to the remediation plan and the county staff negotiated the contract with Cardno TBE.

If the contract meets muster with the commission, work begins July 17. The job will focus on three specific activities.

The site has three specific spots where shallow pollution sources must be addressed, said Brian Malmberg, interim transportation services director. Dirt has been dug up at one location in the past and replaced with clean fill, so new testing is needed at that spot. The two other places will need to be excavated.

Cardno TBE will write the specifications for another firm to come and handle that excavation, he said. It will also write the specifications for the second phase of the clean up which involves treating deep plumes of contamination with a product which breaks down the dangerous chemicals.

The third part of the job involves capping the site. This will include using the existing concrete on the site to keep people apart from the soil and will also involve making sure there are no areas where stormwater can wash away contaminants.

Throughout the process, the county will be monitoring and testing. The hope is that the simple first steps outlined in their remediation plan will produce positive test results, but the plan also has back-up activities if the first batch of actions don't work, Malmberg said.

The work could be done by July 2015 if all goes according to plans, the tests show that the county has taken care of the problem and the DEP signs off on the completion of the project.

Barbara Behrendt can be reached at behrendt@tampabay.com or (352) 848-1434.

Pollution cleanup at former Hernando public works site awaits commission vote 06/22/12 [Last modified: Friday, June 22, 2012 8:26pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Pinellas receives two charter school applications

    Blogs

    Following a two-year dry spell, the Pinellas County school district has received two new applications to open charter schools in St. Petersburg.

    Windsor Preparatory Academy in St. Petersburg could be home to Pinellas Academy of Math and Science's St. Petersburg campus. The Pinellas County school district received a charter school application from that school's leadership this fall to open in 2018.
  2. Southern Heritage group draws fire for posting personal information of Confederate statue opponents

    Politics

    TAMPA — Curtiss Wilson is an 89-year-old Tampa resident who fought in the civil rights movement.

    A report by Save Southern Heritage Florida includes the "affiliation" of more than 100 people who spoke at the July 19 commission meeting in favor of removing  the Confederate monument from in front of the old county courthouse in Tampa. People on the list say the report was meant to intimidate and harrass opponents of the monument. Save Southern Heritage director Doug Guetzloe said the report is "opposition research" meant to to inform elected officials about who was speaking on the issue.
[Save Southern Heritage Florida]
  3. Gen. Votel interview: 'A bit of a stalemate' in Afghanistan, but a chance to optimize gains there

    Military

    In developing the plan for the war in Afghanistan that he announced Monday night, President Donald Trump consulted with advisers including his military leaders throyugh their chain of command.

  4. Water Street Tampa unveils video showing downtown's transformation

    Business

    TAMPA — Water Street Tampa, the sweeping, 50-plus acre redevelopment project in Tampa's urban core, has unveiled new images and video of what the downtown district will look like upon completion.

    Strategic Property Partners released a conceptual image of what the Tampa skyline will look like once its redevelopment of 50-plus acres of downtown will look like. [Photo courtesy of  of SPP]
  5. Bill Nelson shares Rick Scott's cautious stance on Confederate monuments

    Blogs

    On the issue of Confederate monuments, Sen. Bill Nelson is taking the cautious route of Gov. Rick Scott.