Port Richey Mobile Home Park officially slated for demolition

PORT RICHEY — A contract has been reached to demolish a U.S. 19 mobile home park that officials decried as a health hazard and an eyesore.

And much to the relief of City Manager Tom O'Neill, it will not be Port Richey footing the bill to raze the Port Richey Mobile Home Park at U.S. 19 and Grand Boulevard, where crumbling mobile homes and piled up trash have been a nuisance since the city condemned the park in May.

O'Neill and the City Council learned last month the park's ownership changed hands after Fifth Third Bank purchased it through a foreclosure auction from Treasure Coast Properties. Now the bank has contracted with a company to raze the site.

The park's previous owner, Ron Asmar, of Treasure Coast, had long refused to clean up the park and had appealed the city's demolition order, according to O'Neill. And through his attorney, Asmar also threatened to sue to the city for posting a notice of demolition he claimed caused residents and metal scrappers to trash the premises.

But since Fifth Third took over, the bank said it would clear the property and entered into a $55,000 contract this week to do so. O'Neill said the contract stipulates that the demolition will begin no later than Sept. 17 and will be completed by Oct. 15.

"It's really great news," O'Neill said. "We can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's shining very bright."

Port Richey Mobile Home Park officially slated for demolition 09/07/12 [Last modified: Friday, September 7, 2012 5:53pm]

© 2014 Tampa Bay Times

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...