PORT RICHEY — The Port Richey City Council narrowed its search for a new city manager to six candidates, including former New Port Richey city manager Tom O'Neill.
Council members whittled the field from more than 100 candidates Tuesday evening while also coming up with a list of five alternates.
The council began its search in July after firing Ellen Posivach in February.
City officials will call all of the candidates for a preliminary interview then set a date for the council to interview them by phone, Mayor Richard Rober said.
Council members have not set a salary range for the position, but in the city's proposed 2011-12 budget, there is funding for up to $90,000.
Of the six finalists, four were also on a list of candidates recommended by interim city manager Dave Brown and city staffers who conducted initial background investigations. The finalists are:
• O'Neill of New Port Richey served as that town's city manager from 2008-10 and as public works director from 1989-08. Port Richey City Council members considered hiring him as interim manager earlier this year before opting to search for a permanent city manager.
• James F. Coleman of Lady Lake served as Williston city manager from 2004-08 and town manager of Lady Lake from 1999-2003.
• James P. Gleason of Ocoee is currently interim city manager for Mascotte. He served as city manager in Chamblee, Ga., from 2008-10 and city manager in Woodstock, Ga., from 2004-07.
• Mike Konefal of Fort Lupton, Colo., served as that city's administrator from 2008-10 and as community development director for Charlotte County from 2003-07.
• Mark A. Kutney of Wellington served as deputy city manager of Belle Glade from 2007-11 and Belle Glade's acting city manager from September to November 2008.
• Bill L. Veach of Tallahassee has been serving as director of the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation's Division of Hotels and Restaurants since 2006. He also served as city manager of Flagler Beach from 2005-06 and city administrator of Okeechobee from 2000-05.