Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Protest review clears New Port Richey police officers of wrongdoing

NEW PORT RICHEY — Police Chief Jeffrey Harrington has determined his officers acted appropriately in their handling of protesters at a Sims Park event a few months ago.

Police officers confronted members of the American Youth Movement 22211 at the May 21 Rock the Park event, a daylong concert to benefit the Center for Independence and a local Marine who lost his legs in Afghanistan. Organizer Sean Kline had invited the group, not realizing they would show up wearing American flag bandanas on their faces and carrying protest signs that read: "Don't let crooked cops, corrupt politicians and corporations take your rights away."

After the protesters created a stir, organizers wanted them gone. Harrington said the police officers stood by as event organizers asked the youths to voluntarily leave the park.

But American Youth organizer Zachary Mitrovich said the group left due to intimidation and an officer's threat to cite them for trespassing. He believes they were ousted for their message, in violation of their rights to free speech and free assembly.

New Port Richey resident Daniel Callaghan filed the complaint that prompted Harrington's review. Callaghan was not involved in the protest, but he has experience with civil dissent, having chained himself to a road in 2004 to protest the depictions of American Indians at the Chasco Fiesta festival.

Harrington said he and the city's attorneys reviewed video taken by the youths and found no wrongdoing on the part of the officers.

"At no time did a New Port Richey officer deliver a trespass warning or enter a trespass warning into our departmental database," Harrington wrote in his findings. Witnesses reported the youths were using "vulgar language" and were "generally disruptive," but it was organizers, not the police, who asked them to leave, the chief wrote.

"Based on my review of the incident, members of the American Youth Movement were asked to leave based on their conduct, not the content of their speech or message," Harrington wrote.

Callaghan said in his review of the video he heard an officer threatening the youths with being cited for trespassing at the park.

"There are numerous questions that were simply avoided," Callaghan said of Harrington's letter.

Callaghan sent a written response to the chief and mayor questioning the ruling. Mitrovich also had choice words for the chief.

"He's either blind or a liar," Mitrovich said.

>>On the web

Incident footage

The American Youth Movement 22211 has posted a video online that includes footage from the Sims Park incident, as well as other commentary. The video can be accessed at links.tampabay.com. Footage from the incident itself begins about 2 minutes and 40 seconds into the video.

Protest review clears New Port Richey police officers of wrongdoing 08/18/11 [Last modified: Thursday, August 18, 2011 8:34pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Dirk Koetter to Bucs: Take your complaints to someone who can help

    Bucs

    TAMPA — It was just another day of aching bellies at One Save Face.

    Dirk Koetter: “All of our issues are self-inflicted right now.”
  2. Seminole Heights murders: fear and warnings, but no answers

    Crime

    TAMPA — Interim Tampa police Chief Brian Dugan elicited loud gasps from the crowd of about 400 who showed up at Edison Elementary School on Monday night to learn more about the string of unsolved killings that have left the southeast Seminole Heights neighborhood gripped by fear.

    Kimberly Overman, left, comforts Angelique Dupree, center, as she spoke about the death of her nephew Benjamin Mitchell, 22, last week in Seminole Heights. The Tampa Police Department held a town hall meeting Monday night where concerned residents hoped to learn more about the investigation into the three shooting deaths over 11 days in southeast Seminole Heights. But police could give the crowd at Edison Elementary School few answers. [OCTAVIO JONES   |   Times]
  3. Juvenile justice reform seen as help for teen car theft problem

    Crime

    ST. PETERSBURG — One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations has decided to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year.

    One of Tampa Bay's largest religious organizations, Faith & Action for Strength Together (FAST), voted Monday night to make reforming the juvenile justice system one of its top priorities for next year. FAST believes civil citations could help Pinellas County?€™s teen car theft epidemic by keeping children out of the juvenile justice system for minor offenses. [ZACHARY T. SAMPSON  |  Times]
  4. U.S. general lays out Niger attack details; questions remain (w/video)

    War

    WASHINGTON — The U.S. Special Forces unit ambushed by Islamic militants in Niger didn't call for help until an hour into their first contact with the enemy, the top U.S. general said Monday, as he tried to clear up some of the murky details of the assault that killed four American troops and has triggered a nasty …

    Gen. Joseph Dunford said much is still unclear about the ambush.
  5. Trump awards Medal of Honor to Vietnam-era Army medic (w/video)

    Military

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Monday turned a Medal of Honor ceremony for a Vietnam-era Army medic who risked his life to help wounded comrades into a mini homework tutorial for the boy and girl who came to watch their grandfather be enshrined "into the history of our nation."

    WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 23:  Retired U.S. Army Capt. Gary Rose (L) receives a standing ovation after being awarded the Medal of Honor by U.S. President Donald Trump during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House October 23, 2017 in Washington, DC. Rose, 69, is being recognized for risking his life while serving as a medic with the 5th Special Force Group and the Military Assistance Command Studies and Observations Group during ‘Operation Tailwind’ in September 1970. Ignoring his own injuries, Rose helped treat 50 soldiers over four days when his unit joined local fighters to attack North Vietnamese forces in Laos - officially off limits for combat at the time.  (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images) 775062921