Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

San Antonio must replace commissioner-elect

SAN ANTONIO — The city is making plans to find a replacement for Commissioner-elect Anne Kibbe, who declined last week to take the seat she won unopposed in April.

Kibbe also resigned from her job at Saint Leo University as director of professional development.

The two moves came on the heels of her publicly criticizing a plan by the university to construct a plant operations building on its west campus that would generate truck traffic in San Antonio on two residential roads, Pompanic Street and McMullen Drive.

In emails to the Times, Kibbe insisted she was not fired by Saint Leo; she said she resigned her job and passed on the commission seat for personal reasons. Saint Leo officials declined comment, saying the university does not discuss personnel matters.

"My father is turning 80 next month, and I plan to do some traveling with him," Kibbe wrote.

Kibbe, who is also known in the community as an accomplished landscape and floral artist, added that her art will be her main focus.

In the wake of Kibbe's resignation, the commission will appoint her replacement, but Mayor Tim Newlon is moving away from initial plans to hold private meetings with candidates seeking the seat.

The city attorney advised the commission to hold private meetings with candidates and bring nominations for a vote, Newlon said. But after some thought, he said he did not feel comfortable holding the meetings out of public view and has opted to interview candidates during an advertised workshop next month.

"In retrospect, I saw how it certainly could be seen as not the most transparent way to go about determining who you want as the replacement," Newlon said.

So far the candidates include former commissioner and Mayor Roy Pierce; Richard Arto, a retired school district official from New York; and Mary Jordan Anstead, a disabilities services instructor with Pasco County schools.

San Antonio must replace commissioner-elect 05/28/14 [Last modified: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 12:16pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Search for missing Army helicopter crew suspended in Hawaii

    Military

    HONOLULU — Officials have suspended the search for five Army soldiers who were aboard a helicopter that crashed during offshore training in Hawaii last week.

    Water safety officials hand over possible debris from an Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crash to military personnel stationed at a command center in a harbor, Wednesday in Haleiwa, Hawaii, a day after. an Army helicopter with five on board crashed several miles off Oahu's North Shore. Officials  suspended the search for five Army soldiers in a helicopter crash during offshore training in Hawaii on Monday. [Associated Press]
  2. Rubio praises Trump for 'excellent' speech on Afghanistan

    Blogs

    Sen. Marco Rubio praised President Donald Trump's "excellent" speech on Afghanistan. Sen. Bill Nelson was less effusive but agreed with the goal.

  3. Gov. Rick Scott blasts report of shifting words on Charlottesville

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott, one of the most scripted politicians in modern Florida history, said Monday that "both sides” bear blame for Charlottesville.

  4. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  5. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.