Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Seminole City Council hopeful seems like candidate in name only

SEMINOLE — Voters here will see four names on the ballot in the upcoming City Council race, but it's unclear if all of them are serious about winning.

The status of Matt Nilssen's candidacy became a topic at Tuesday's City Council meeting.

"My understanding is he does not want the position," council member Chris Burke said. "If that's the case, the voters should know before they go to the polls. . . . We don't want our voters to waste their vote, is my point."

City Clerk Rose Benoit, who oversees the election, said, "He's not campaigning, but he's still on the ballot. . . . No, he does not want the position."

Mayor-elect Leslie Waters added, "For all intents and purposes, there are three candidates."

Nilssen, 38, could not be reached for comment.

Doubts about the seriousness of his campaign arose last month when he called Benoit to ask about withdrawing from the race.

Because the ballot had already been printed with the four candidates' names, Benoit told him the city would have had to send out letters to all voters telling them of Nilssen's decision.

Council member Jim Quinn, who is running for re-election, estimated the cost of stamps alone would have been about $7,500.

Benoit said the next thing she received was an email dated Jan. 23 from Nilssen: "Per our phone conversation this morning, I will continue as a candidate for the position of city councilor for the city of Seminole."

Benoit received a second email on Feb. 4:

"Due to unforeseen circumstances, I am corresponding to let you know that I will be unable to attend the city-sponsored forum for the residents to 'Meet the Candidates' scheduled for 02/07/2013. Regretfully, these unforeseen circumstances will inhibit my ability to attend tonight's 02/04/2013 'Meet the Candidates' forum."

Financial forms also indicate Nilssen has raised no money.

City officials stopped short of saying people should not vote for Nilssen. That's a decision individual voters must make, they said.

"Absent a withdrawal, he's a qualified candidate whose name is on the ballot," city attorney John Elias said.

The election is March 12. On the ballot are Nilssen, Quinn, incumbent Thom Barnhorn and fourth-time candidate Tom Christy. The two top vote-getters will take office.

Seminole has a council-manager form of government and an operating budget of about $15.2 million. The City Council is composed of the mayor and six council members, who are responsible for setting the budget and adopting policy.

Council members earn $5,562 a year.

Anne Lindberg can be reached at [email protected] or (727) 893-8450.

Seminole City Council hopeful seems like candidate in name only 02/16/13 [Last modified: Friday, February 15, 2013 4:56pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Dunedin man arrested for having destruction devices, deputies say

    Public Safety

    DUNEDIN — Deputies will be speaking later today to discuss a Dunedin man who was charged with possessing destruction devices in his home.

  2. Officials release names of those aboard plane that landed in St. Pete neighborhood

    Accidents

    ST. PETERSBURG — Officials released the names of the two people aboard the plane that made an emergency landing Wednesday on a neighborhood street in south St. Petersburg.

  3. Spencer: 'A better and more beautiful world if people like me were in power'

    K12

    In the a small theater crammed with cameras, Richard Spencer and a small group of his coordinators clashed with reporters as his controversial speech in the Phillips Center drew near Thursday.

    A crowd gathers ahead of Richard Spencer's appearance at the University of Florida on Oct. 19, 2017. [LUIS SANTANA | Times]
  4. Analysis: George W. Bush's unmistakable takedown of Trumpism - and Trump

    Columns

    For the last nine years, George W. Bush has largely stayed out of presidential politics; he declined to criticize his successor, Barack Obama, and he chose not to endorse but largely ignored President Donald Trump. While Mitt Romney and others spoke out publicly against Trump, Bush stayed above the fray.

    That …

    Former President George W. Bush speaks at a forum sponsored by the George W. Bush Institute in New York on Thursday, Oct. 19, 2017. [Seth Wenig | Associated Press]
  5. Fennelly: Even frustrated Bucs fans hold out hope

    Blogs

    Many fans wrote back when I threw out an all-points the other day, asking if Bucs fans are perpetually in a state of expecting the worst.

    Bucs fans cheer during a preseason game against the Washington Redskins in August at Raymond James Stadium.