Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

St. Pete Beach officials meet June 21 about comprehensive plan vote

ST. PETE BEACH — A judge's displeasure may force the cancellation of an August referendum on the city's comprehensive plan.

The City Commission will meet in special session at noon Monday to discuss comments made by Circuit Judge David Demers during an emergency court hearing Thursday.

"We were trying to be proactive and do what we thought the judge had previously ordered, but the judge's preference is that we not do anything until he rules at trial," City Manager Mike Bonfield said Friday. "Trying to do the right thing just created more problems."

Bonfield said he and the city's attorneys will recommend the referendum be postponed until the regular municipal election in March.

Demers called Thursday's hearing to hear arguments on a request from Ken Weiss, an attorney representing residents opposed to the comprehensive plan, for an injunction blocking the Aug. 24 referendum on revisions to the plan.

The plan was approved by voters in 2008, but subsequently was changed slightly at the urging of state officials. Under the city's charter the revised plan must again be approved by voters.

The 2008 referendum has been the subject of a half-dozen lawsuits filed by residents Bill Pyle, Bruce Kadoura and Richard McCormick.

Pyle, who was at Thursday's hearing with his attorneys, Weiss and Tony Battaglia, argues that the 2008 ballot language was misleading and therefore violated state law.

A trial on those and other issues relating to the 2008 referendum is scheduled for Aug. 19 and 20.

In a previous ruling, Demers indicated another referendum would be required because of the minor changes to the comprehensive plan, but he did not specifically rule on what the ballot question should say or when that referendum should be held.

Earlier this month, the City Commission scheduled the August referendum on the recommendation of its attorneys.

"The idea is to move these cases forward, to show good faith," Suzanne Van Wyk, a city attorney, said at the time.

After the commission vote, Weiss filed a request for an injunction to block the referendum until after the trial is concluded and Demers rules on the ballot language issue.

Thursday, the judge pointed to the time and resources the court had already spent on the case and said if the referendum were held in August, it could lead to a new round of litigation forcing the court to start all over again, according to both Weiss and Bonfield.

Demers preferred the referendum be delayed, Bonfield said, but appeared frustrated and uncertain he has the actual legal authority to cancel it.

An attorney representing Deborah Clark, Pinellas County's supervisor of elections, said Tuesday is the last day a decision can be made to cancel the referendum.

The judge indicated he would rule Monday on the injunction. Bonfield said Van Wyk has informed the judge that the commission will meet Monday to "reconsider" the August referendum.

"Unfortunately, it took a threat from the court to get the city to take the commonsense approach we originally suggested: postponing the referendum until after the trial and the judge makes a decision," Weiss said Friday.

St. Pete Beach officials meet June 21 about comprehensive plan vote 06/19/10 [Last modified: Friday, June 18, 2010 6:02pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Search for missing Army helicopter crew suspended in Hawaii

    Military

    HONOLULU — Officials have suspended the search for five Army soldiers who were aboard a helicopter that crashed during offshore training in Hawaii last week.

    Water safety officials hand over possible debris from an Army UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter crash to military personnel stationed at a command center in a harbor, Wednesday in Haleiwa, Hawaii, a day after. an Army helicopter with five on board crashed several miles off Oahu's North Shore. Officials  suspended the search for five Army soldiers in a helicopter crash during offshore training in Hawaii on Monday. [Associated Press]
  2. Rubio praises Trump for 'excellent' speech on Afghanistan

    Blogs

    Sen. Marco Rubio praised President Donald Trump's "excellent" speech on Afghanistan. Sen. Bill Nelson was less effusive but agreed with the goal.

  3. Gov. Rick Scott blasts report of shifting words on Charlottesville

    Blogs

    Gov. Rick Scott, one of the most scripted politicians in modern Florida history, said Monday that "both sides” bear blame for Charlottesville.

  4. Record $417 million awarded in lawsuit linking baby powder to cancer

    Nation

    LOS ANGELES — A Los Angeles jury on Monday ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay a record $417 million to a hospitalized woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene.

    A bottle of Johnson's baby powder is displayed. On Monday, Aug. 21, 2017, a Los Angeles County Superior Court spokeswoman confirmed that a jury has ordered Johnson & Johnson to pay $417 million in a case to a woman who claimed in a lawsuit that the talc in the company's iconic baby powder causes ovarian cancer when applied regularly for feminine hygiene. [Associated Press]
  5. Search under way for missing sailors; Navy chief orders inquiry

    Military

    SINGAPORE — The U.S. Navy ordered a broad investigation Monday into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain collided with an oil tanker in Southeast Asian waters, leaving 10 U.S. sailors missing and others injured.

    Damage is visible as the USS John S. McCain steers toward Singapore’s naval base on Monday.