Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

St. Pete Pier demolition contractor owes money, says staffing company

Demolition of the old Pier, which had been scheduled to finish in February, may now be completed in late September.

SCOTT KEELER | Times (2015)

Demolition of the old Pier, which had been scheduled to finish in February, may now be completed in late September.

ST. PETERSBURG — Along with being months behind schedule in demolishing the Pier, Sonny Glasbrenner Inc. is again the target of allegations that it has fallen behind paying its bills.

Rick Hermanns, CEO of Trojan Labor, a Charleston, S.C., staffing company, said Glasbrenner owes his company more than $100,000. That cost is mainly from a job at Clearwater's Morton Plant Hospital, he said.

In October, another staffing company, Harris Ventures in Georgia, sued Glasbrenner, claiming the Clearwater company had failed to pay its bills and bounced a check. The matter has since been resolved.

Hermanns said that as a St. Petersburg resident, he's upset that tax dollars are going to pay Glasbrenner's $3.2 million contract with the city. The company has been paid $1.2 million so far.

"Why am I paying money to a company that is screwing me on another job?" Hermanns said, adding that he plans to take his concerns to the City Council.

"We've been trying to collect our money," he said. "Every third week or so, they are bouncing checks to us."

Hermanns said the most recent rejected electronic payment was for $4,792.28 on March 22.

Pate Clements, Glasbrenner's president, responded to questions about Hermanns in a similar fashion when asked last year about Harris Ventures.

"Unfortunately, this is part of the process of doing business today," Clements said. "This will be cleared up eventually as well, just like the last one."

Meanwhile, demolition of the old Pier, which had been scheduled to be complete in February, continues. Michael Ryle, the city's assistant engineering director, said "substantial completion" is now expected in late September.

That might be cutting it close, since construction of the new pier could begin as early as October, according to Chuck Jablon, operations vice president for Skanska USA, the project's construction manager.

Glasbrenner finished demolishing the inverted pyramid — the city's iconic pier building for more than 40 years — last fall. The firm, though, is still working on removing the deck on which it sat.

Financial issues have not delayed the project, Clements said.

"I have plenty of manpower and plenty of equipment," he said. "There is nothing wrong with the pier job, but in order to do it safely, this is the only way to do it."

In an email, Ryle said the project has been more time consuming than anticipated because of safety concerns.

"Since the pier head has been reconstructed and modified three times over its life and some areas are significantly deteriorated, demolition has been slower and more deliberate for the safety of the contractor," he said.

Ryle said payments on Glasbrenner's contract are made based on work completed monthly, with a 20-day delay in payment. The city also withholds 10 percent of the money paid on the contract.

"At this time, we are holding $120,000. This will increase each month up to 10 percent of $3.2 million," Ryle said.

He added that no staffing company or subcontractor has complained to the city about delinquent payments and that he doesn't have concerns about Glasbrenner's ability to hire staff for the job.

About eight to 10 people work on the project each day, Ryle said.

"The manpower is limited based on available space to operate equipment and stockpile debris," he said.

Times researcher Caryn Baird contributed to this article. Contact Waveney Ann Moore at [email protected] or (727) 892-2283. Follow @wmooretimes

St. Pete Pier demolition contractor owes money, says staffing company 04/06/16 [Last modified: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 11:22pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Drug czar nominee Marino withdraws name amid report he weakened DEA

    National

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump says the Pennsylvania congressman he chose to be the nation's drug czar is withdrawing from consideration for the job.

    U.S. Rep. Tom Marino, R-Pa., left, sponsored the law that weakened the DEA's enforcement abilities. Seen with Rep. Trey Gowdy, R-S.C., in 2015, Marino is nominated to be the nation's drug czar. [Andrew Harrer | Bloomberg]
  2. Photo of the Day for October 17, 2017 - Urban possums

    Human Interest

    Today's Photo of the Day comes from Roger Kimble of Tampa, FL.

  3. Exposé 'Champions Way' uses FSU to illustrate bad behavior in college programs

    College

    While the entire college football universe was focused on a sexual assault allegation against quarterback Jameis Winston during Florida State's 2013 national title run, another off-field scandal was playing out quietly.

     Jameis Winston (5) warms up before the game between Florida State Seminoles and the University of Miami Hurricanes at Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee, Fla. on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013.
  4. How a group of Florida tomato growers could help derail NAFTA

    Agriculture

    Tony DiMare, a third-generation Florida tomato grower, has spent two decades contending with cheap Mexican imports, watching his neighbors abandon crops in their fields and sell off their farms when they couldn't match the price of incoming produce.

    Workers fill a trailer with tomatoes as they harvest them in the fields of DiMare Farms in Florida City. [Joe Raedle | Getty Images(2013)]
  5. Pinellas deputies go door-to-door at dawn to arrest unlicensed contractors

    Crime

    Pinellas deputies began pounding on doors at 5 a.m. Tuesday, part of a widespread roundup of contractors accused of working without licences and workers compensation.

    Pinellas Sheriff deputies J. Short, left, and T. Festa, right, arrest suspect Randy Ronchi, center, in Largo early Tuesday, as part of a joint roundup of unlicensed contractors. [SCOTT KEELER | Times]