ST. PETERSBURG — Mayor-elect Rick Kriseman has been busy hiring staff members to start work when he takes office Jan. 2.
After questions from the Tampa Bay Times about what his staffers will be paid — and where the money will come from because some positions didn't exist in the current administration — the Kriseman camp on Friday released this list:
• Kanika Tomalin, deputy mayor, $150,000.
• Michael Dove, director of neighborhood affairs, $130,000.
• Kevin King, chief of staff, $98,500.
• Nikki Gaskin-Capehart, director of urban affairs, $95,000.
• Sally Everett, director of legislative, education and intergovernmental affairs, $95,000.
• Benjamin J. Kirby, director of communications, $90,000.
• Jessica Eilerman, mayor's small business liaison, $70,000.
• David Flintom, director of mayor's action center, $70,000.
The release noted the salaries will be paid using contingency money in the existing budget as well as salary savings expected from retiring employees.
Kirby, Kriseman's spokesman, said $718,050 was budgeted for contingencies in the fiscal year that began Oct. 1. At least some of that will be replaced by money saved through attrition, he said. City Council members likely will be asked to approve the appropriation next year.
Current council chairman Karl Nurse said he is not overly concerned.
"I know there are savings coming," he said. "We're going to be able to, effectively, fill this hole."
Officials remain mum about who, exactly, will be retiring, though.
So far, only one high-level administrator, former marketing director Beth Herendeen, has left City Hall. She made more than $100,000.
Speculation about other looming departures has been high since Kriseman won the election.
"We don't have any details on that," Kirby said Friday.
Council member Charlie Gerdes said he knows people are worried.
"I'm presuming there will be existing jobs that are eliminated," he said. "I know there's people at City Hall nervously and anxiously awaiting if they're still going to have jobs, given these new appointments. I'm interested to see how the old will mesh with the new."
Kameel Stanley can be reached at email@example.com, (727) 893-8643 or @cornandpotatoes on Twitter.