Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Tarpon Springs votes to spend $500,000 on designs for downtown

TARPON SPRINGS — A plan to spur economic development and connect two of Tarpon Springs' main economic arteries has moved forward despite concerns that business owners in one of the areas were not consulted.

The City Commission unanimously voted Tuesday night to spend $500,000 over two years to allow the Renaissance Group of Orlando to create a plan for the downtown area and the Sponge Docks. That money also would cover plans for North Stafford Avenue and Lemon Street streetscape design and a signage plan for the downtown and Sponge Docks areas.

Renea Vincent, the city's planning and zoning director, initially requested nearly $1 million for the work. But property owners in the city's downtown area balked at spending that amount on "another study" and were concerned they were not consulted.

The city adopted a downtown development action plan in 2000 and shortly after formed the Community Redevelopment Agency for the downtown area. Property owners in that area pay a special tax that is to be reinvested in the district. Property owners said the majority of the funding for the city's plan is coming from that fund.

John Tarapani, a downtown property owner and a city planning board member, said spending that amount of money equated to an "egregious misuse of public funds."

Vasile Faklis, who owns a business on Tarpon Avenue, agreed and went on to say: "We have a large stake in Tarpon Springs, and our voices should be heard."

Tarapani was pleased with the city's decision not to spend a million dollars but was still concerned about the lack of communication between the city's staff and downtown property owners.

City officials countered that they have been working on the plan, which included public meetings, for more than a year. In addition, they say the Community Redevelopment Area encompasses more than just downtown and stretches down the Alt. U.S. 19 and Stafford Avenue corridors.

While Mayor Beverley Billiris voted to move forward with the project, she too was concerned about the lack of communication. She asked City Manager Mark LeCouris if he had been meeting with downtown property owners.

"We have to make sure property owners and business owners are treated equally," Billiris said. "If that process was happening, I don't think we would be having this mistrust from the property owners. …

"When we have so much doubt and distrust from any section of our community, then communication has been broken."

LeCouris assured Billiris that he had been communicating with everyone.

"That is not the case," he said of the complaints. "They can bring up and say what they want."

Demorris A. Lee can be reached at dalee@sptimes.com or (727) 445-4174.

For the record

Howard Park stays free

The Tarpon Springs City Commission on Tuesday night approved a resolution opposing a plan to impose a $5 fee to access the causeway and beach at Fred Howard Park.

And it won't be an issue again for a while.

County officials have announced they're shelving the proposal to institute the fee at Howard Park and Fort De Soto Park until the fall or later.

At least one Tarpon Springs commissioner hopes it's much later.

"I want to close the door, put a bar over it, lock it, so it can never be open again," Robin Saenger said of the plan.

Tarpon Springs votes to spend $500,000 on designs for downtown 07/22/09 [Last modified: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 8:32pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Nearly 1 in 4 Tampa Bay homeowners considered equity rich

    Real Estate

    If your home is worth at least 50 percent more than you owe, you're rich — equity rich that is.

    About one in four Tampa Bay homeowners are considered "equity rich." [Associated Press file photo]
  2. Trump strategist Steve Bannon: No military solution in North Korea

    National

    BRIDGEWATER, N.J. — President Donald Trump's chief strategist Steve Bannon says there's no military solution to the threat posed by North Korea and its nuclear ambitions, despite the president's recent pledge to answer further aggression with "fire and fury."

    Steve Bannon, chief White House strategist to President Donald Trump, has drawn fire from some of Trump's closest advisers. [Associated Press]
  3. Rays have their chances, but end up with another loss (w/video)

    The Heater

    TORONTO — The litany of games the Rays have given away this season is long enough, arguably too lengthy. So the only way to get to the postseason is make up for some of those losses by grabbing some wins when the opportunity is presented, especially at this time of year when the margin is diminished and the stakes …

    Associated Press
  4. Dunedin man accused of possessing child pornography

    Crime

    DUNEDIN — A 57-year-old man was arrested Wednesday, accused of intentionally downloading child pornography, the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office said.

    Richard Beal Anger, 57, of Dunedin faces 11 counts of possession of child pornography. [Courtesy of the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office]
  5. Pence cuts short Latin America trip and pressures Chile to sever all ties to North Korea

    Politics

    SANTIAGO, Chile — Vice President Mike Pence is cutting short his Latin America trip by one day to return to Washington for a strategy meeting Friday at Camp David with President Donald Trump and the national security team.

    Vice President Mike Pence urged Chilean President Michelle Bachelet to take a tougher stand against North Korea on Wednesday in Santiago, Chile.