Make us your home page
Instagram

Today’s top headlines delivered to you daily.

(View our Privacy Policy)

Treasure Island eyes burying more utility lines

TREASURE ISLAND — There are a lot of "ifs" involved, but above-ground utility lines along south Gulf Boulevard may disappear beginning in 2015.

That is when the state Department of Transportation is planning a major Gulf Boulevard resurfacing project from 99th Avenue to 105th Avenue.

Last month, the DOT offered to include the city's long-anticipated project to put utility lines underground in its bidding process, potentially saving the city significant money.

Based on previous estimates, it could cost up to about $7 million to bury utilities along a mile of Gulf Boulevard. The southern portion of Gulf Boulevard represents about half that distance.

Utilities are already underground along much of northern Gulf Boulevard between 104th and 199th avenues.

"The commission's intention right now is to do what we can with the $3.7 million. We are hoping it is sufficient to do south Gulf Boulevard," City Manager Reid Silverboard said.

By joining in on the DOT bid, the city would not be responsible for the cost of resurfacing the portions of Gulf Boulevard dug up to bury the lines — and could benefit from a potential overall lower cost for putting the lines underground.

"We do not want to go in two to three years from now and tear up and remill and resurface again," Silverboard said.

He told the commission the city has about a year to decide if it wants to include the project in DOT's larger project bidding, scheduled for early 2014. Construction would begin in 2015.

"It would be a huge savings not to have to resurface," said Commissioner Alan Bildz.

A unanimous commission agreed to take the first step — getting an estimate for engineering plans to bury utility lines along the half-mile section of Gulf Boulevard.

Silverboard said he expects a proposal from the city's engineering firm by the end of January and will present it to the commission in February for further discussion.

The total project cost also involves acquiring easements outside the road right-of-way for transformer and meter boxes, reconnecting businesses and residences to the various utilities, and restoring affected rights-of-way.

If the city goes ahead with engineering the project, the next hurdle would be finding a way to pay for it, Silverboard said.

The county has agreed to give beach communities from St. Pete Beach to Clearwater Beach about $35 million in Penny for Pinellas money over the next seven years to bury utilities underground along Gulf Boulevard.

Treasure Island is scheduled to receive about $3.7 million from that pot beginning in 2014. Most of the money would not be received until the last three years.

"I think it is a good idea," Bildz said. "If we can save enough, we may have enough to do the northern part of Gulf Boulevard, too. Let's see how much this will cost. We need it all done."

Treasure Island eyes burying more utility lines 01/08/13 [Last modified: Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:44pm]
Photo reprints | Article reprints

© 2017 Tampa Bay Times

    

Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours

Loading...
  1. Trump plans to release JFK assassination documents

    Nation

    WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump announced Saturday morning that he planned to release the tens of thousands of never-before-seen documents left in the files related to President John F. Kennedy's assassination held by the National Archives and Records Administration.

    FILE - In this Nov. 22, 1963 file photo, President John F. Kennedy waves from his car in a motorcade in Dallas. Riding with Kennedy are First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy, right, Nellie Connally, second from left, and her husband, Texas Gov. John Connally, far left.  President Donald Trump, on Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017,  says he plans to release thousands of never-seen government documents related to President John F. Kennedy's assassination.  (AP Photo/Jim Altgens, File) NY107
  2. Water leak slows traffic in Westshore area

    Public Safety

    TAMPA –– A broken water main has closed the westbound lane of West Cypress Street between North Westshore Boulevard and North Ward Street. The city estimates the repairs will be completed by 7 a.m. on Sunday.

  3. Fox renewed O'Reilly contract despite knowing of allegations

    Nation

    NEW YORK (AP) — The Fox News Channel says the company knew a news analyst planned to file a sexual harassment lawsuit against Bill O'Reilly when it renewed the popular personality's contract in February.

    Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly appears on the Fox News show, "The O'Reilly Factor," in New York. O'Reilly has lost his job at Fox News Channel in April following reports that several women had been paid millions of dollars to keep quiet about harassment allegations. [Associated Press file]
  4. Conviction overturned 30 years later in neo-Nazi murder case

    Criminal

    TAMPA — A judge on Friday overturned the murder conviction of Dean McKee now that new evidence has raised doubt about McKee's guilt in a Tampa slaying that occurred nearly three decades ago when he was 16.

    In 1987, a St. Petersburg Times reporter interviewed Dean McKee for a story about young skinheads in Tampa. [Times | 1987]
  5. Experts have some theories on who's carrying out Seminole Heights killings

    Crime

    The words serial killer tend to conjure an image of a middle-aged white man, likely a loner. He stabs or chokes or strangles, murdering up close for the thrill, straight out of central casting.

    A memorial was set up where Anthony Naiboa, 20, was found shot to death in Seminole Heights. Some experts who have reviewed information in the case say that whoever is behind the three Seminole Heights killings may live in the area. [JONATHAN CAPRIEL  |  Times]